Tonight's episode was pretty much a setup episode for the final 2 hours, very similar to season 1's Exodus Part 1. But they revealed a slew of good stuff about the Oceanic 6. I have to give a little kudos to myself for figuring out how the Flash Forward would operate. Similar to season 1's Finale Flashes where we watched as all of our 815 passengers prepared to board Flight 815, we saw the events that immediately led to them getting onto the island (if you skip the actual plane flight/crash). The Flash Forwards? Well, we see the events of all of our Oceanic 6 that occur as they head back home. We've already been treated to a bunch of crazy information. I'm just assuming that part 2 will continue following our characters towards the paths of their respective depressions! As for current day Island activities? Characters that haven't seen each other for the majority of the season are reuniting, most are trying to get OFF of the island while Ben and Locke are still working towards saving it from the likes of Keamy (supposedly working off of Charles Widmore's Plan B orders). No need to delay any further! Time to dive in!
We open up with our Oceanic 6 on a Coast Guard plane enroute to Hawaii. Our producers have told us that there needs to be a point where Island Present meets Island Future on the show. It would seem that the present day events during this finale should lead us to this opening moment of the episode. But, we've been duped before! But even from this opening shot there are questions to ask. And then it just unravels from there!
- We get our first sighting of 2 rabbit's feet in this episode. The Co-Pilot is nervous with the passengers they are currently carrying. Nervous because they've been on a plane crash? Or for some other reason? Probably looking too much into this one!
- Miss Decker (Dekker?), from Oceanic Airlines (we think), is asked to brief the Oceanic 6 whom we actually see receive this "catchy" label.
- The faces on the 5 (I won't count Aaron!) speak miles for what has happened to them. All of them are rather upset about the situation they're in. Jack seems to be the only one staying positive and telling everyone to "stick to the story" and not answer any questions they don't know how to answer. Add in Sun's comment "We are in Shock" and it just speaks volumes. Are they mad at Jack for decisions he made on the Island to get them in this position? Did the events of them leaving the island happen so quickly and randomly that they haven't had time to digest it yet? Did something happen to Jin? Did they ever find Claire? Why are THESE 6 the chosen people? Why did Sawyer choose to stay? Did they get picked up by this plane on the Island? Did they take the freighter full of C4? Did they fly the chopper to somewhere before they run out of fuel? Well, I could keep going! Lots to answer, but they are definitely not thrilled with returning home.
- That is, until the plane hatch opens and FAMILY awaits. Hurley's Parents, Jack's Mom (we haven't seen her since season 1), Sun's parents (I don't think we've ever seen her mother before?). We clearly see that Sayid and Kate/Aaron are alone. Hurley pulls in Sayid to meet his family. All is well for a brief moment in time.
- Then the Press Conference, we've were treated to the Cliff's Notes version of the "Fake Oceanic 815" crash story, but get a few more details on this one. We still don't know who is forcing them to lie and tell this story (Widmore? Ben? Oceanic Airlines? Someone else?), but something tells me this will be answered before the season ends, as well as who is in that crazy coffin!!
- FYI - This is the first time we're seeing Hawaii being filmed actually AS Hawaii for LOST. Miss Decker says they are being taken to a Military Base west of Honolulu. Not sure why I looked this up, but the Plane said Barber's Point. And there actually is a small airport called Kalaeloa Airport that is quite close to Pearl Harbor and the Luallualei Naval Reservation. I don't think this holds any relevance on the show except that it looks like they did their research!
The Oceanic 6 "Fake Crash" Story
- Our wonderful Maps to reference courtesy as always of Sledgeweb. Click on picture to enlarge.
- Location of crash site (Indonesia): South of small uninhabited island Membata. Plane carried by ocean's current to that island where they stayed for 103 days. (Note: Membata is an Indonesian word that means "uncertainty.")
- Day 103 - Typhoon washed up remnants of an Indonesian Fishing boat with basic supplies and survival raft. (103 days puts this pretty close if not dead on to the events of the real-life Tsunami. I wonder if this Typhoon is a result, or at least a loosely based reference to the event)
- Remaining 6 survivors (the Miss Decker clearly convinces the press that this includes baby Aaron) used the boat to travel to an island called Sumba.
- They came ashore through a village called Manukannga. There is a picture of them at this siting. So was this picture actually at Manukannga? Or from somewhere else? Or was it photo shopped? And where is Aaron in the picture? Also, I googled Manukannga ,there are no search results for this town. I put the word into an Anagram finder and all I got was Manana Gunk! (tomorrow gunk?? yeah, I'm thinking that isn't what they're going for!) Not sure if we're meant to look into this stuff, but why make up fake names of Indonesian towns?
- REVISED: How's this for irony? First of all disregard my analysis on the madeup Manukannga since I spelled it wrong! it's Manukangga and does exist! But second, now when you google "manukannga" THIS blog comes up instead of no search results and the trend seems to be continuing! Some useless pointless ridiculous knowledge for everyone right there!
- Once it was discovered who they were, they were transported to Honolulu by the U.S. Coast Guard.
Press Conference Q&A
- Q: Dr. Shephard - Can you tell us what it was like when the plane hit the ocean? How you survived?
A: Jack recounts how fast it happened, remembered the impact, the plane filling up with water and a few of them going for the emergency door to get out. They had cushions and life jackets and were in water for over a day before the current took them in. There were 8 of them left.
NOTE: For the real crash of 815, I still wonder how they all were placed on the Island the way they were! Did they have to climb out of the fuselage? Sayid mentions (in season 1) they spiraled through the jungle and many of them don't have a scratch on them. I guess, we have to hope they'll show these events before the show is over!
- Q: Considering being on a deserted island for over 100 days, you all look pretty healthy. Hurley interrupts. Woman changes question "How does it feel to know you'll be getting your money back?"
A: I don't want the money, it's bad luck!
Note: Was the woman referring to the large settlement the Oceanic 6 were receiving? Or did she mean since Hurley was not dead, his lottery winnings would return to him? Why wouldn't the money have continued to be paid to the family anyway? I know Hurley referenced this in episode 1 this season. But just wanted to bring up again. Not that there's any sense in exploring it!
- Q: (to Sun) Was your husband one of people that died on island?
A: Sun didn't know how to answer at first, but then said no, he never made it off the plane.
Note: Could this be a hint to Jin never making it off the island? That he could be alive? Based on another comment she makes in these flashes, it seems to imply the other way. But with all of the lies the Oceanic 6 are telling, who knows? We'll find out after 2 more hours!
- Q: (to Kate) What was it like giving birth on island? (Kate: Scary) Your son, how old is he? (Kate: 5 weeks) So that makes you 6 months pregnant when you were arrested is that correct?
A: Miss Decker states that there will be no questions about Kate's pending arrest.
Note: Okay, so Aaron is obviously older than 5 weeks (and looks it!). Did they do this to try and make it passable that Kate had the baby? If Kate was 6 months pregnant when she was arrested, she probably would have been showing a bit! There must still be some conspiracy theorists out there on the Mainland, like Frank Lapidus himself. Of course, because it's LOST, they sure know how to cut things off before they write themselves into a disaster!
- Q: (to Sayid) Is it possible there are any other survivors?
A: No, absolutely not.
Note: I just kinda got the same vibe from this comment as when Abaddon says "There were no survivors of Oceanic Flight 815." to Naomi. I'm not saying he's behind the fake story, because Hurley obviously didn't recognize him in episode 1 this season. But, just noting the similar tone!
Flashes to follow:
We then proceed into individual flashes for 5 of our Oceanic 6. Here are tidbits we learn:
- We see the Sayid and Nadia reunion. Enjoy it while it lasts Sayid! She is sooooo getting whacked!
- Sun takes over her father's Company using the Oceanic Settlement. She blames Mr. Paik for Jin and her being on the plane. She is mad that he ruined Jin's life. Then she mentions two people are responsible for his death and that he is one of them. Now this is a comment we can take on the surface as, Jin was on the plane because he was doing a task for Sun's father. OR we can look into it more that possibly Mr. Paik has been involved with the Island, as we've always assumed and intentionally put them both on that plane. We also need to speculate, is Sun reflecting on Jin's ACTUAL death or just that he's still stuck on that island? AND - who is the OTHER person responsible for his death? Sun herself? Jin himself? Or possibly someone else that killed him on the island? Interesting stuff nonetheless!
- Hurley's Dad (aka CHEECH!) fixes the Camaro they were working on before daddy skipped town. How about the Odometer and Trip Meter folks? It's easy to please me whenever they throw the numbers back into things! I sure missed them! What's it all about? Probably a reminder that the Island is not through with Hurley yet. We already know we are not getting an answer to the significance of the numbers beyond the "The Valenzetti Equation" revealed to us during the summer Internet extravaganza THE LOST EXPERIENCE!
- 2nd Rabbit's foot siting on the Camaro keychain. Ironic because of Hurley's previous bad luck!
- During this same flash, Hurley is thrown a Surprise Party Luau. The coconut, the whispering was all a nice touch. But nothing topped Sayid stating that it was an interesting theme and Hurley stating about his parents "they don't get it!"
- Jack has memorial service for father. Jack says that he loves his father and misses him. And just as he's about to finally make peace with it all, Claire's Mom is out of her coma and there to reveal the connection of Jack and Claire! Woaaaaa never in a million years would I predict this is how Jack would find out! Them writers are CRAZY! Claire's Mom woke up??? Do we tie this into Kate's mother never succumbing to cancer also? Loved when she says to Kate that she has a beautiful child (since it's her grandson!). Jack's look after this revelation was priceless. This must be what drives him away from Aaron and Kate for the time being. And ultimately what drives him and Kate apart with the whole "You're not even related to him!" comment. The question is, is Claire still alive? Are the Oceanic 6 aware of her whereabouts prior to leaving the island? Did Christian take Claire as bait for Jack to return to the island? Very exciting stuff people!
- It's worth noting that all but Sun show up to Oceanic 6 events (birthday parties, funerals, etc...) Is this because she's in Korea? Or because she doesn't want anything to do with Jack, Kate, Sayid, Aaron? Remember Hurley is the only one that showed up in Korea when Ji Yeon is born. Hopefully we'll get more on this in the finale!
Lots of people all over the Island in this episode. We begin with Jack and Kate resolving to follow the signal on the SAT Phone for chances that Sayid and Desmond were on the chopper. He also wants that helicopter, for it's the only way off of the island (supposedly) Jack is still on his "I promised I would save everyone" kick. Juliet was very distraught by Jack's pending quest due to Jack's recent surgery. And for good reason as Jack starts bleeding not long after their trek into the Jungle. Not long after they ship out they run into Miles, Sawyer and Aaron. Here's what went down:
- Sawyer fills them in on Claire walking off into the jungle and how they looked for her for a day.
- How the Freighter Folk blew up New Otherton (nice name!) and how Locke was right.
- Jack instructs Kate to take Aaron and Miles back to the beach.
- Sawyer reluctantly follows Jack with a great line "You don't get to die alone!" Which, maybe not in line with Sawyer's intention, goes along with the mantra "Live Together, Die Alone." I've missed Jack/Sawyer interactions!
- Jack and Sawyer find the helicopter with Frank Lapidus there willing to lend a helping hand. Frank fills them in on what Keamy has in store for the Island and that everyone best be off of it. And Sawyer then realizes that Hurley is the midst of danger being with Ben and Locke. Gotta love Jack using Sawyer's favorite line "Son of a B***ch!" (sorry kids, we were in PG-13 territory last week, had to bump us down to PG mode this week!)
- Thus, we see Jack and Sawyer running off towards danger to rescue their portly friend!
Our favorite new version of the 3 Amigos (Ben, Locke and Hurley) are resolved now to MOVE the Island. It isn't long before Ben reveals that they are headed to the Orchid Station, a greenhouse.
- For some reason, I immediately thought of the Greenhouse Effect and while normal greenhouses do not emit radiation, perhaps the Orchid does! If we're dealing with Time Travel, didn't Dan make a reference to Radiation in The Constant as what causes the Consciousness Time Travel? Anyway, I won't claim to be an expert on the Greenhouse Effect, but I'm sure some out there are. So theorize away!
- Hurely asked a very logical question in if they're going to move the island, wouldn't the bad guys move with it? Ben said yes. Hurley wants to get off the island. Locke says it's too late for that! (oh yeahhh Locke? well maybe you haven't heard about Jack and Sawyer and a little thing called the Oceanic 6!!!)
- Ben brings the other 2 goofballs to a tree where there is some type of survival kit complete with 15 year old saltines, binoculars and a mirror. Hurley proceeds to eat crackers. Ben uses mirror to signal his buddies (we must assume). Perhaps High up on that mountain is where this "TEMPLE/SANCTUARY" is as Ben had instructed them to go there at the end of season 3. He also told Alex to go there too.
- Ben makes a comment about why they hadn't moved the island before. He states it's both dangerous and unpredictable and to be used as a last resort only. Hmmmm All roads point to moving this thing through space and time. And with rumors of Particle Acceleration being involved, my curiosity is peaked!
- They arrive to the Orchid Station, but too late as Keamy and crew have already planted themselves there.
- Ben states that Widmore knows what is in there and that he lied before when he said he didn't know what he wanted. Hmmmm All that we know WAS in there was Edgar Hallowax and a couple of the same bunnies! Curiosity still peaked!
- Ben begins to unravel a plan that has Locke crawling through a hole and activating an elevator. Hurley is confused. Locke asks how they'll get past the troops.
- "How many times do I have to tell you? I always have a plan!!" You sure do Ben, you suuuuure do! And this reminds us of his captivity by Jack/Locke/Sayid in season 2, his captivity by Locke again in season 4, and the fact that he is now leading this expedition to the Orchid. Does Ben's plan revolve around time warping himself into the Tunisian desert? If the actions of the Orchid are unpredictable, was he moved to a different time/location than the island was? And will he also not know how to get back to the Island? And what will happen to everyone else when the Orchid is activated? Does this factor into how the Oceanic 6 leave the island? Well....we have 2 weeks before we find out!
Kate recognizes that the tracks they are following are fresh, double backed on them and NOT Jack and Sawyer. They turn around, guns aimed. Who comes out of the Jungle? RICHARD ALPERT!!! YAY! he's in the finale too! He stares them down not even scared of being held at gunpoint. Why? Well could be because he knows he can't die. ORRRR It could be because many many of THE OTHERS are there!!!! Man, who would've thought last season that seeing The Others would be a welcome thing! And who knew there were that many of The Others left and with THAT many guns?? (all pointing at Sayid and Kate by the way). Perhaps, THESE are the stealthy others that we have seen/heard in season 2 and wondered where they have been ever since the domesticated Others revelation of season 3? You know the ones that TOOK the children from the tail section, the ones that walked barefoot and silently through the jungle in front of Eko and Jin. I'm sure they're still in cahoots with Ben, but ever since season 3, we lost that MYSTIQUE surrounding the others. But THESE guys, they sure looked like the Island natives under the command of Richard Alpert. But we shall see! My guess is while they have Kate and Sayid captured right now, they will all be working together against a common enemy in our 2 hour finale.
Operation: Bring People to Freighter and get Freighter Moving
- This is kinda out of order, but when Dan realizes the direction Keamy is headed he knows that Plan B has been initiated and that they are heading to the Orchid. He flips open his trusty notebook. We've seen the logo before, but notice the SPIRAL/Whirpool type effect it has. This plus Ben's comments about the Orchid station seem to imply we're in for quite a ride through space (and possibly time) by the season's end. If Time-Traveling Obsessee Dan is now obsessed with getting everyone off of the island PRONTO, we gotta think it's related, right? And if that wasn't enough to start the assumptions, note in the picture, that Dan's notes reference "Space like factors," "time like factors" and "possible!" woaaaa
- Dan begins to bring people to freighter. Sun and Jin are on first boat out (thanks to Juliet). Keep in mind, Jin already made a deal with Charlotte to get Sun off island. I have to think this will still be in play before the season is over!
- Notice Dan's look to Charlotte and Charlotte's clear concern for Dan's safety. Ahh romance yet again blooms on Paradise Island!
- Dan gets first crop of survivors to the Freighter. Desmond is there to bring them aboard. Michael mentions that the Engine is fixed and then it happens. Jin and Sun see Michael....ooooh and they're angry!!!
- We FINALLY get an explanation of how Michael and Walt got off of the island. They took Ben's boat, followed his bearing and came to an island that had people on it. The sold the boat and hopped a cargo ferry back to the states and told no one who they were.
- How Sun knew that Michael was working for Ben, I'm not sure. Since they had no communication with Ben and Team Locke until right when they got on the raft to head to the freighter. I don't think I recall Sayid or Miles telling Sun. Or Sawyer telling Kate who told Sun! But whatever, I can look past this and just assumed it happened!
- Anyway, Michael states that he's there to HELP and make up for what he did. Not work for Ben! He asks Sun to translate to Jin but he understood. Does that mean all is well between Han and Chewie? Well, time will tell...but in the meantime there's an emergency!
- Desmond goes to try out the new engine with the "Ship driver???" (I don't know what you call those people...Navigator??? Gilligan??) and clearly says that they must take the 305 bearing. I thought that the guy was just going to drive off (away from the island) for some reason, but he DID put the bearing to 305. The monitors however were jammed and he said he couldn't see the reef. Something is broadcasting off of the freighter. Desmond is confused since the communications equipment was down.
- interesting thing to note - Why was Desmond so determined to bring the freighter to the Island when he didn't want to go near that place again? I guess the savior complex got to him too?
- He heads to communication room and yells for Michael. Jin, Sun and Aaron follow. What do they find? The communications room is jam packed with C4! Uh oh! Jin says something to Sun which seems to be "get up on the deck ASAP!" What is going on here? Is the plan to blow up the freighter? Or they going to run the freighter into the island and blow it up? (I highly doubt that would torch the entire thing!) Will Michael, Jin and Desmond blow up with it? They can't possibly can they? Or will they be on the next raft back to the Island? Something tells me Sun and Aaron will be at least! Which could bring Charlotte's promise back in play.
In the closing suspenseful moments of the show, we see Sun and Aaron on the deck of the Freighter, Kate and Sayid captured by Richard and the OTHERS, Jack and Sawyer trekking towards certain doom at the Orchid and then we center in on Ben turning himself in. Keamy comes out with and points his gun at Ben. Ben stares down the barrell of the gun and like Richard, doesn't seem very worried. Why? Well, he could have the Michael Dawson disease and can't die either just yet. Keamy resists the urge to shoot Ben on the spot and slams him in the head with his gun.
Now THAT is an episode folks! Right now our Oceanic 6 are scattered all across the Island. Jack and Hurley are about to be paired up. Sayid and Kate are together. And Sun and Aaron are aboard a freighter that is basically a ticking time bomb. Not to mention Locke and Ben are literally trying to "change the course" of the Island forever! What's in store in the final 2 hours? We'll see the circumstances in which the 6 get off the island. We'll find out who is in that coffin in the future. We will see Sawyer make a decision to stay behind. Will we find out what's up with Claire? Will we see the Oceanic 6 in a further future time working together to get BACK to the Island? Are we ready for the big SECRET Cliffhanger this season entitled "THE FROZEN DONKEY WHEEL?" Will the frozen part have something to do with the Parka that Ben was wearing in the Tunisian desert?
Lots of Questions folks and just 1 more 2 hour episode this season. It shall air on May 29th. And we'll be debating this one all the way up until that date! And THEN, we'll have yet another 9 months to debate all that is LOST! Hope you enjoyed my ramblings and I look forward now to yours! SEE YOU IN 2 WEEKS!