The synopsis: Daniel Faraday was killed while on a mission to prevent the known future of our LOSTIES from ever happening. Jack is inspired, Kate is reluctant. We see Eloise Hawking begin to assume her role in her son's life and learn of her motivation. Meanwhile back at DHARMAVILLE, Sawyer and Juliet are in custody and being tortured by slaps-like-a-girl STUART (hello first name!) Radzinsky! Hurley, Miles and Jin have a run-in with Pierre Chang. Oh right, and we revisit 2007 where Locke assumes his role as the OTHERS. Yes, in "Follow the Leader" we see Jack finally taking charge of the situation in the 70's (right, wrong or indifferent) and Locke doing the same in 2007. And of course, we have Richard Alpert FOLLOWING these 2 leaders in 2 different time periods. Of course, you could also say Sawyer and Chang continued to take on leadership roles in this story. Let's dive in and see if we can make any sense of it!
Mission: Retrieve Jughead
We open tonight's episode right as Daniel is about to be shot by Eloise. This time we are watching from Jack and Kate's perspective. Jack and Kate are arguing about Dan's plan. Kate thinks Daniel is crazy and Jack thinks he finally has his "calling."
- Jack, based on Dan's explanation, essentially thinks (and brings up several times in the episode) that they were transported off of Ajira 316 and into the past in order to stop the past 3 years of their lives from ever happening the way they did. Preventing the incident at the Swan would prevent Desmond from needing to push the button which would prevent him from not pushing the button one time when flight 815 crashes and then so on and so forth. He think it is their destiny to which Kate eventually will relate him to John Locke. We'll get into discussing the possibility of LOST doing such a game changer in a bit.
- After Daniel is shot, Jack was going to run in after him. Kate tries to run away. But no fear Charles Widmore and his fellow horse rider knock Jack to the ground and capture them both.
- We learn that Eloise comes to have possession of Daniel's Journal which she will purchase for Daniel as a graduation gift in her future (his past). Pending time doesn't change on us, this would explain how Eloise knew many things that were to come to pass. It might also explain why she knew DESMOND had to go to the Island. We all know there was a page in there that says "Desmond Hume Will Be My Constant." This does not explain how Eloise Hawking knew details of Desmond's life and why the man with the red shoes was going to get killed Dorothy style by a building in season 3 or why she was in that picture with Desmond's MONK boss, but we'll take whatever answers we can get right now!
- Charles brings Jack and Kate into the camp and is confused to why all of these DHARMA folks are all of a sudden attacking them. Eloise learns that Jack and Kate were with Daniel and ask for them to be put in her tent. She knows they aren't DHARMA folk!
- Random Other guy, Eric, that we have seen in a prior episode this season brings Jack and Kate into Eloise's tent. Jack and Kate have another discussion about erasing their past. Jack wants to eliminate all of the horror and tragedy that has happened to them all since they crashed on the Island 3 years earlier in their lives. Oceanic Flight 815 would land in Los Angeles. Boone, Shannon, Ana Lucia, Libby, Mr. Eko, Charlie and Michael would all still be alive. Kate tries to tell Jack it wasn't all bad (referring to them meeting, and probably her and sawyer meeting too). Jack is still convinced it's the thing to do.
- Eloise asks for an explanation about what Daniel needed the bomb for. She then goes on to explain that she knows they are time travelers. She knows she just shot the man that came to her 23 years earlier when she was 17 and told her what to do with Jughead (when Locke, Daniel, Sawyer, Charlotte, Miles, Juliet and the rest of our time jumpers went back to 1954). She now knows that Daniel is her son based on what he told her when she shot him. She also asked how her handwriting was in the journal (the inscription on the inside cover) when she hadn't written it? Jack explained that she hadn't written it yet. Jack goes on to say that Eloise can help avoid killing her son by helping them retrieve Jughead.
- So here is where we can have 2 lines of thought. Was Eloise ALWAYS motivated to help Jack retrieve Jughead to try and prevent this horrible timeline where she kills her son? If so, what would happen AFTER it fails? Would that positively make her realize the future cannot be changed and force her to send her son on the path of science and eventually to the Island where she would kill him? The other line of thought would be that this is the first time this scenario is ever playing out. But I'm still thinking that makes no sense based on everything we have seen so far. I guess we are just going to have to see how it plays out!
- Eloise asks Kate if Jack knows what he is talking about. Kate, clearly upset with Jack, tells her that he thinks he does. Eloise agrees to take them to the bomb. We learn that Jughead was indeed buried 20 years ago but DHARMAVILLE was built on top of the site since then. Since Jack and Kate started a gunfight leaving the barracks, they won't be able to just head back in.
- Eloise asks Richard and Random Other Eric to come with them to retrieve Jughead. She covers up Daniel's body. And we see Eloise and Charles have a conversation from afar.
- Richard explains to Jack that the man is Charles Widmore and that he and Eloise are......"well, let's just say that love can be complicated"? Huhhhh??? what on earth does that mean? We also, see Charles arguing against this mission Eloise wants to go on and touch her belly and say something like "not in your condition." Can we assume Eloise is pregnant with Daniel in 1977? And does that make Charles the biological father explaining his concern? Based on Richard's comment, there seems to be some other baggage going on there.
- Eloise leads Richard, Jack, Kate and Eric out to a pond that gets to the tunnels. Kate refuses to swim and thinks this is totally the wrong thing to be doing. She has had enough and tries to leave against Jack's wishes. Bad Boy Eric points his rifle at Kate. Eloise says they do not reveal their secrets and let people walk away. Before Eric can shoot, SAYID returns with his pistol and takes down Eric with 2 shots. Crazy how Sayid could so accurately shoot and kill Eric from further away than little Ben was but still not manage to kill Ben instantly! Ahhhh gotta love television! Also, what on earth did Sayid get out in the wilderness to tie back his hair?
- Richard is worried about what these people are doing and why Eloise is okay with Eric being killed. Eloise tries to convince Richard that it won't matter that Eric was killed if these people can do what they say they are going to do. Are you guys getting on board with OPERATION ERASE 5 SEASONS OF LOST yet? Yeah, I'm still not buying it!
- Jack catches Sayid up on the current plan. Sayid does not believe it will work because he thinks he killed Ben and they are all still there. When he finds out Kate rescued Ben he is not too thrilled! Kate is fed up with both Jack and Sayid. Shooting kids, blowing up hydrogen bombs are logical solutions! Kate explains if Jack is wrong about the bomb everyone on the island dies.
- As I stated before, Jack starts sounding like Locke talking about destiny. And he admits that he thinks he was wrong about Locke. At this Kate leaves to find everyone else and hope that they can stop Jack's crazy mission.
- Jack, unsure if Sayid will follow, follows Richard under water through a long tunnel that eventually heads to a pull into the underground tunnels. These seem to be the same tunnels we saw Ben in a few episodes ago when he met with the Smoke Monster. The same interconnected tunnels across the island that we saw drawn on Radzinsky's map in the Swan Hatch in season 2.
- Richard explains that they will get the bomb out the same way they got it in, and it is not through the pool. I guess we will find out next week how!
- Best line of this storyline had to be when Sayid showed up to Jack's surprise. "If it works, you might just save us all. If it doesn't, at least you'll put us out of our misery!"
- Sayid shows concern that Eloise's motivation to take Jack to the Hydrogen bomb is to destroy the DHARMA Initiative. Jack says that he trusts her because 30 years from now she is the one that helps get them BACK to the island. I'm with Sayid, how does that make him trust her? She would have known that they HAD to go back to keep the loop going. (assuming that is what is going on here still!)
- They walk further into the tunnels and light up a room with a large archway and uncover ol' Jughead. Eloise then asks "Now What?" and we wonder the same exact thing. Tune in for the Season Finale to see how this all is going to play out!
The Battle of Wits: Hurley vs. Chang
As Sawyer and Juliet have been captured, Hurley stocked up on DHARMA food and brought it out to the secret rendezvous point with Miles and Jin. Little did he know that he was followed by Pierre Chang. Drama and Comedy ensue:
- Hurley immediately wants to go to action and rescue Sawyer and Juliet while Miles wants to stick to the mission and get to the beach.
- Chang shows up and immediately starts asking about if what Daniel was saying to him was true. Are they from the future? What followed was a hilarious Q&A between Hurley and Chang.
- Chang: You're friend Faraday says you're from the future. I need to know if he was telling the truth?
Hurley: Dude, that's ridiculous
Chang: What Year were you born?
Hurley (responding without thinking too much): 19 uh 31
Chang: You're 46?
Hurley: yeaaah, yes I am
Chang: So you fought in the Korean War?
(Miles and Korean Jin exchange glances)
Chang (with his gotcha face on): Who is the President of the United States?
(a comment Chang mentions in his video to the future - from comic-con - after confirming there are people from the future on the island)
Hurley:..........Alright dude we're from the future!
- Then Chang and Miles have their moment. Miles reveals that he is, in fact, Chang's son. Perhaps both Miles AND Hurley are present for the filming of the aforementioned video.
- Chang confirms that there will be a massive accident at the SWAN. Miles says that everything Dan has told them has come true so yes, he should evacuate everyone.
- After some Sawyer/Juliet scenes transpire (mentioned in the below section), we then follow Miles, Hurley and Jin as the watch Chang load up the women and children on the sub. We witness Chang YELLING at his wife and baby Miles demanding they leave the Island with no explanation. Miles realizing that it was the only way for Chang to get them off of the island. No more Daddy issues for Miles!
- We also witness Charlotte and Mother boarding the sub.
- And of course, we also witness Sawyer and Juliet boarding the sub, cuffed. (we will discuss in a second!) Will this call Hurley and crew to action to prevent them from leaving the island? tune in next week!
- By the way, all events seem to be transpiring as they should have. Chang has sent Miles off of the Island. Child Charlotte is leaving the island. The ironic thing is, she probably would have left the island anyway due to the evacuation of women and children, but because Daniel talked to Charlotte, it kept their loop alive. Basically, all of this is happening because Daniel came back to the island and set things in motion. So do we really think there was a loop of time where Daniel was motivated to come back and set these events in motion when he DIDN'T tell Jack and Kate about Jughead? And of course Daniel was killed by his mother like he always was supposed to be killed. Are you thinking what I am thinking? Yeah, it just doesn't add up that the future is going to change. And if something DOES change in the timeline because of this storyline, then I am going to want some explanation to what Dan did differently the last time!
The fallout from the shootout at the motorpool with Daniel, Jack and Kate vs. Radzinsky and crew led Radzinsky to LaFleur for help. To his surprise, he found that Sawyer and Juliet were holding a captive in Phil, the holder of the security video of Sawyer and Kate taking Ben off of the DHARMA premises. Now we join Sawyer and Juliet in the Security station being tortured by Radzinsky for information.
- I mentioned before, Stuart Radzinsky slaps like a girl! But somehow he was leaving a bloody impression on Sawyer's face.
- Radzinsky shows Sawyer the security video of him helping Kate take Ben off the premises. He asks where she is now. Sawyer hilariously asks for his lawyer.
- Horace tries to prevent the torturing and Radzinsky pretty much tells him that he's going to have to take a back burner on this one to protect their work at the Swan.
- Radzinsky threatens to kill Sawyer for information on Kate. Sawyer does not give in. It is not until no morals Phil decides to pitch in and start beating up Juliet. Sawyer threatens to kill Phil, and I have a good feeling that this might come to pass. I don't think anyone would mind. Sawyer did promise to kill Mr. Friendly/Tom/Zeke in season 2 and he finally did at the end of season 3.
- Some dude with the sub manifest of new recruits comes in. They have been looking for Jin and Miles but also noted that there were 3 late add-ons to the manifest. Jack, Kate and Hurley. Phil recognizes Hugo Reyes as "the fat one."
- Chang shows up after his meeting with the Future Dwellers. He is yelling that they need to evacuate the island based on a high probability of a massive accident. Radzinsky mentioned that they are supposed to break ground and begin drilling for the Swan Station today. Well, I guess that would be when the Incident happens! Stuart goes on to mention that he is in charge now and his decision is to keep drilling. Yeah, I would be real intimidated by THAT guy! But we'll go with it.
- Sawyer tells everyone that Chang is right, it is not safe here. He says to put the women and children on the sub and get them out of here. He requests for him and Juliet to be put on the sub also in exchange for information. Juliet seems to have never loved Sawyer more for his idea.
- Radzinsky asks for a map to the Hostile Camp in exchange for their freedom. Hmmm, will this cause DHARMA and the OTHERS to start their war that will eventually lead to Charles Widmore ordering the purge years later? The only person we know still at the Hostile camp are Charles Widmore and young Ben Linus. Will Radzinsky "RESCUE" child Ben from their camp? We were already told by younger Widmore that Ben will be brought back to his people. And we know Ben ends back up with them because he kills his father while still continuing his DHARMA duties, right before the purge.
- As Sawyer and Juliet are walking to the sub cuffed, Sawyer brings up that they can invest in Microsoft and bet big on the '78 Cowboys and live normal lives. Juliet wonders what they will do when they get to Ann Arbor. Sawyer says that there are no controls in the real world. Once they get there, they will be free.
- By the way, I thought all passengers were knocked unconscious for the Sub trips? Why are they just sitting up and cuffed to tables? And how big is that sub? Where are all the women and children?
- Right when Sawyer and Juliet exchange their loving comments for each other (Juliet - I love You, Sawyer - I love you back.....still not as cool as Han Solo's "I know" but definitely more Sawyer to say that than "I love you too!"), someone else enters the sub. Yep, it's Kate to rain on Sawyer's happiness yet again! They captured her on the way back to the DHARMA camp. Good job Kate!
- The last we see of them in this episode, we see the sub actually in motion (first time ever we see that) and submerging under water.
- Surely, something will stop them from leaving the island. But I have no idea what at this point!
Locke's New Plan
Finally, we return to 2007 to see what Locke's Plan has been since taking Ben and Sun with him on a trek across the island. Locke said he had some ideas on how to get Sun back with Jin. The last we saw in this storyline was Locke making Ben visit the Smoke Monster. Ben was visited by some version of Alex (most likey smokey induced) in which she instructed Ben to listen to every word John has to say and do not try to kill him again. Ben seems to oblige. We now follow Locke, Ben and Sun to the OTHERS' camp which now seems to be on the beach. We see Richard messing around with a model ship in a bottle.
- Richard seems to be using the same tweezers or whatever you want to call them that he uses to eventually take out John Locke's bullet at the Nigerian Plane crash site/Pearl Station. Richard is working on none other than a model version of The Black Rock! As you can see by the comparison to the picture from "THE CONSTANT" compared to this shot, it is essentiall the same ship. Lots of theories have been circulating around that Richard was a member of the Black Rock when it arrived here some hundred years before. We also know that a certain passenger on the Black Rock went by the name Magnus Hanso (an ancestor of Alvar Hanso financial backer of the DHARMA Initiative). We know from the executive producers that we will be getting much more information on the Black Rock in the final season. So, this was probably a little nod in that direction.
- Locke rolls into town with a dead boar over his shoulders announcing that he brought dinner! Ahhh good to have the old yet somewhat new Locke back!
- When Locke and crew show up, Richard is surprised to see Locke. If we ever thought Richard was a man with answers, we definitely were proven wrong this entire season. He doesn't seem to ever know what's going on even though he has seemingly always been there. Richard mentions that the last time he saw Locke was 3 years prior during the season 4 finale when Ben turned the frozen donkey wheel. Locke was standing right next to him and then POOF he was gone. This sets the time table for us as we knew there was a point in the future where Richard would come to an injured Locke and give him information on leaving the island and what he had to do.
- Locke realizes it is going to be night soon and that he and Richard have an errand to run and they don't have a lot of time. Richard notes that there is something different about Locke now. Locke, all smiles, acknowledges that he has a purpose now.
- Richard is surprised to see Ben with him. Locke explains that he helped him get back. (that's one way to put it!)
- Ben explains to Sun who Richard is. He is an advisor to the leader of the Others and that he has had that job for a "very verrrrry looooong time" Sun doesn't even question this and just heads straight over to Richard to show him the DHARMA Recruitment photo.
- Sun asks if she remembers Jack, Hurley and Kate from 1977 as they were there with her husband Jin. Richard says he does remember the people in the photo as he watched them all die........woa.
- So this adds a whole NEW wrinkle to our Time Travel philosophy. Did our LOSTIES truly die in this incident or did it SEEM like they died? And how did Richard survive? I guess we have no knowledge of who of our LOSTIES survive the Incident anyway even if they don't reboot time. But I seriously doubt that ALL of them will die! We do know that Richard is now not the most reliable resource as he does not seem to understand what is going on on the Island that he has been for so many many years. The other question would be did they originally die in 1977 but then prevented their deaths this time around which we witness next week? Ugh, that just seems way too complicated. My guess is we will see events transpire where they will seemingly die in Richard's eyes. How that is shown to us? No idea!
- Locke tells Sun that he doesn't think they went through all of this for nothing. Well, I think I can speak for all LOST viewers when I say "I sure hope not!"
- Locke asks Richard if he still has the compass he gave him. I would assume Locke means the compass that he gave him in 1954, which Richard had given to him to take back in time. Richard says that it's a little rusty but still can show them North.
- Locke asks Ben to join them. Ben goes on a rant about Locke suspecting he'll throw a coup. Locke claims he is not afraid of anything he can do anymore. "well in that case I'd love to come!" he says sarcastically. Still loving the role reversal! Locke also tells Sun to stay behind and he will see what he can find out.
- As night falls Locke explains that Richard is about to find out where he disappeared to. And once they are done with that he wants Richard to take him to see Jacob. And everyone pauses....Ben says that that is not how it works. Richard seems hesitant. Locke says he is the leader now and he wants to see Jacob. Richard reluctantly says "yeah of course" and then they keep moving. We'll discuss this more in a bit.
- As suspected, Locke brings Richard and Ben to the site of the Nigerian Plane crash. He explains to them how the beachcraft flew from Nigeria smuggling heroin and ended up here. Wouldn't Ethan have told Ben and Richard about this when he saw the plane then? Could they really have not seen it for however many years that it has been there?
- Anyway, Locke tells Richard that he is going to have about 3 minutes to get this right. So, we knew that we had to see a scene where Locke informed Richard of everything that happened since he left. Because we knew Richard would tend to Time-Jumping Locke's leg and give him a brain dump of information "you must leave the island and bring back everyone who left back to the island." and that to do this "you're going to have to die." What we didn't know was that ressurected Locke would know the EXACT moment that this event was going to occur and that he was going to give Richard the information immediately before the event happened! He also gives Richard the tools to get the bullet out of Time-Jumping Locke's leg. Richard and Ben are totally perplexed. But next thing we see Richard carrying out the task we have already seen him do in the season premiere. We see Richard confused by what TIME the Locke he is talking to is from as he said "you told me to tell you this" Time Jumping Locke says "no i didn't"....then Richard says "well, you will." So he figured it out on the spot. Interesting, as always with LOST, how a couple extra scenes will change the way an old scene works!
- Meanwhile we have Ben asking Ressurected Locke how he knew the exact moment this would happen. Locke said that the Island told him and asked if the island ever told Ben anything. Ben says that the island never told him anything and that the island didn't tell Locke where Jacob was or he wouldn't need Richard to show him. Locke accuses Ben of never seeing Jacob. This goes back to "The Man Behind the Curtain" episode in season 3 where we see Ben pretending to talk to a chair that has Jacob in it. He played it off like Locke couldn't see him but Ben could. But the twist was that Locke saw a glimpse of Jacob and HEARD him say "Help Me." And Ben shot Locke at the DHARMA grave because he was spiteful that Locke heard Jacob.
- Time-Jumping Locke disappeared and Ben asked where he went. Ressurected Locke says "to give Richard his compass back." As we guessed, the compass is in a never-ending loop. We don't know where the compass came from except for the fact that it's always being passed back and forth from Locke to Richard 2007 to 1954 to 2007. My question is, if the Compass got rusty since it was given to Richard, then how did it become UNRUSTY??? Or did it not? Wouldn't the Compass keep aging?
- Richard offers Locke the bullet. John says to keep it. Richard mentions that the time jumping Locke seemed convinced especially by the "you're gonna have die" part. Richard was glad that didn't have to happen. And Locke assures Richard that it did. Met again by crazy stares.
- They head back to camp. Locke wastes no time in telling Richard that he wants to head to Jacob immediately and that he is "eager" to go. When Richard hesitates again, Locke explains that he would like to talk to all of his people. (note: we are told that there is another group of them at the Temple. I guess we'll be seeing that place next season!)
- Locke explains to everyone that they have been accepting orders from a man named Jacob. Someone they've never seen nor heard. He said there is probably a good reason why his existence is a secret but, looking at Richard, he doesn't know what they are. If there is a man telling them what to do, he wants to know who he is.
- Sun asks if Jacob can tell them how to bring Jin and their friends back? Locke says absolutely.
- Locke tells everyone that Richard has agreed to take him to Jacob and he's going to go. And he asked everyone to come with him. Everyone seems to be very onboard with this. Random question, where are Cindy and the kids???
- Richard tells Ben that he thinks Locke is going to be trouble. Ben awesomely says "why do you think I tried to killed him?"
- Morning arrives, and Locke leads his expedition down the beach. A scene we have seen in pretty much every penultimate season finale. A band of islanders heading down the beach. Gotta love the mirroring!
- Locke and Ben have a chat on their walk. Ben explains to Locke about Richard's concerns about Locke's leadership. As Alex instructed Ben, he seems to be helping Locke out. But there always is an ulterior motive to Ben isn't there?
- Locke tells Ben he is not interested in being reunited with his people, even though that's what he told Sun. That is not why they are going to Jacob. Locke then explains to Ben they are going to Jacob so he can KILL HIM! Zoom in on Ben's reaction:
Well, didn't see THAT coming! So can we expect to finally meet Jacob in the season finale this year? I am going to go ahead and almost guarantee it. Now, we must remember that Christian Shephard advised Sun and Frank to go with Locke if they want to find their friends in the 70's. So even if Locke isn't planning to help that happen, it would seem that it might. Will Locke succeed in killing Jacob? Yikes, I don't know. Will that have some kind of effect on what is going on in 1977? Will what is going on in 1977, vice versa, have an effect on 2007? Will our LOSTIES paths cross before the end of the season? Will Sun and Jin be reunited? Will TIME be altered? What about our Ajira/Shadow of the Statue folk? Surely, next week we will finally see them get to the LOSTIES' old camp and chase the Time Jumpers down in the boat, which means surely we will run into Rose and Bernard too! Lots of questions going into our season finale. What kind of cliffhanger will they leave us with? My guess is something totally confusing and mind blowing. Which will make my tasks next week even more challenging!
If any of you are in the Tampa area (I'm not, but I do know that we may have some readership down there due to some excellent referral jobs!), you might want to watch the 11:00 Action News on ABC right after the LOST finale airs. Apparently, they want to do a lead-in story interviewing a big fan of the show. Who won the opportunity? Yours truly. This is your chance to see me be a bumbling idiot on LIVE television! Minutes after I am blown away by whatever cliffhanger LOST throws us, I am going to have to give immediate thoughts to my reaction to it. Yikes. Wish me luck! Eh, who am I kidding? It will be a blast!
In other news, you know that those 2 hour blogs are killer to write. So, you can expect the blog to be posted a little later next Thursday. But I think you guys can give me a break. It's a 2 hour episode and you will have 9 months to read it as always!
I feel like I did an extra amount of time recapping this week and less theorizing, so let's start breaking things down in the comments. What do you all think is going to happen? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Hope you enjoyed me ramblings and I will see you next week!
This blog is also posted on Gather.com. Feel free to check it out and send some votes my way! You may also stumble upon additional discussions there!
Special thanks for Get Lost Podcast Media, that I found through DARKUFO this week. Sledgeweb decided to include no screen stills this week, so I had to seek pictures elsewhere. They have loads of them!
Special thanks for Get Lost Podcast Media, that I found through DARKUFO this week. Sledgeweb decided to include no screen stills this week, so I had to seek pictures elsewhere. They have loads of them!