So there were really 2 storylines in tonight's episode and they all had to do with learning more about the Freighter crew and the imminent war between Ben and Charles Widmore. On the freighter we had a continously whiny Sayid doing what he does best and interrogating Michael so that we get his backstory (poor Desmond may have said 2 words if that). And at CAMP LOCKENESS (ooh i like that!) Ben was explaining to his new friends why he is no longer a prisoner and attempting to get his "DAUGHTER" to safety. The majority of the episode was filling in the blanks of where Michael has been since he took that bearing of 325 off the island. Let's break it down!
- As I stated before, Sayid must be still upset with his Lima Bean meals because he is one cranky Iraqi! There was a fight up on deck and the Captain was beating everyone to a pulp stating that he was doing it for everyone's safety. We see freighter crew trying to jump ship and take the smaller boat to the island. There are some crazy ISLAND effects happening on that Boat! Nothing new there. Anyway, Sayid starts stalking Michael (errr Kevin) until he finds him down in the Engine Room and turns into PSEUDO TORTURE SAYID! "YOU WILL TELL ME WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN SINCE YOU LEFT THIS EYEEEELAND!!!!"
- "MAAAAN this ain't the time for that! I gotta DIE man!!!"
- "NO YOU WILLLL TELL ME!!!!! I NEED A GOOD MEAL AND A ROOM WITH NO RATS! I LIVED IN IRAQ FOR A MAJORITY OF MY LIFE AND ON A SCARY ISLAND FOR 100 DAYS! I AM ANGRY SAYID! GIVE ME ANSWERS!"
- "Well why didn't you just say so maaaaan? Let me tell you about everything I am doing for my boy WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALT!!!!!"
- Ok in all seriousness Sayid is just angry that Michael killed Ana Lucia and Libby and then left the island and is now reporting to Ben and he wants answers! Michael flashes back to fill us in on what's been going on and yes it's all to keep his boy WAAAAALT safe!
- woooooooooosh And we FLASH
- We flash to an off-island Michael writing a letter which we find out to be a suicide note to his son.
- Michael gets in his 70's car (trying to throw us off to when this flash was taking place maybe?) and on the radio he hear's Mama Cass's "It's Getting Better." If you recall, Desmond was listening to Mama Cass's "Make Your Own Kind of Music" in the hatch. Damon Lindelof has mentioned a couple times that the music he uses on the show is music that he grew up listening to with his mother. But there could be an ISLAND linkage here too.
- Anyway, Michael takes his car, says "I'm sorry", pins the suicide note to himself and drives straight into a dumpster. Yet, when it appears he should have died, he finds himself in the hospital...DUM DUM DUMMMMMMM
- And while he's in the hospital he gets an off-island vision of LIBBY! Libby returns to LOST, not the way we intended her to though. We thought we'd see her in other people's flashbacks but in the flesh! Anyway, if you notice in this vision Libby is carrying blankets and that's exactly how she looked when Michael shot her. She's doing one crazy haunting job on Michael.
- The vision of Libby and the Christmas tree help to set the timeframe of this flash. Considering Michael was on the freighter on Christmas eve and he's seeing LIBBY this was definitely a flashback after he left the island and prior to his running into Sayid and Desmond on the freighter. So we're looking at either late November early December. Naturally, they did not show us exactly HOW Michael found rescue off of the island. This continues the trend of us not seeing anyone arrive or leave the island. The closest I think we've gotten is seeing the chopper leave the island and we know what that did to Desmond! And we see what's happening to the freighter crew! Something tells me they are still holding back that big reveal for awhile. But it also could've just been yet another way not to show us WALT again because the actor is 4 years older than he was when the show started. And yep, they keep telling us that they will address this on the show and that it started with them showing "TALLER GHOST WALT" to Locke in the season 3 finale. But they made it additionally confusing by apparently SHOWING Walt in this flashback in a window (and a bad acting DOUBLE at that!)
- If you notice in the Hospital, Michael is remaining anonymous. Libby calls him Mr. Dawson but the actual Nurse asks his name and he won't reveal. All she knows is WALT because of the note pinned to the chest.
- So yeah Michael visits his mother (I was trying to figure out if this was the same woman that we see in the Miles flashback where there was a death to a boy and a "ghost" haunting the house. I don't think it was though). His mother is one upset lady because she assumed Michael and Walt died in the Oceanic 815 crash. And Michael is living with the guilt of what he did to get off the island and never told his Mom or anyone what happened with the crash or anything. Mom is frustrated because she is not allowed to talk about the subject or answer anyone's questions. So did Michael tell her ANYTHING? He took another flight maybe? One thing we know is, there was a falling out with Michael and Walt and we eventually find out that it had to do with Michael telling Walt what he did to get him back (killed Ana Lucia/Libby, set up his friends in a trap).
- Next we see Michael trying to pawn Jin's Watch. If you recall Jin tried to kill Michael in season 1 when he saw Michael wearing it. But eventually after they became friends Jin gave the watch to Michael.
- Anyway, Michael pawns it for a gun and loads that puppy up. And just as I was about to make my prediction that he won't be able to kill himself, TOM shows up Off-Island!
- We confirm Michael is in New York. You'll have to tune into my COFFIN WATCH segment below for why I find this important!
- Michael and Tom get into a little scuffle. In short Tom is asking for help. We find out that Michael told Walt about Ana Lucia/Libby and can't live with the guilt. But the big reveal is that Michael cannot kill himself because the Island won't let him. (see? predicition right!) Well, this is interesting. Tom says Michael still has work to do. Just like "Taller Ghost Walt" told Locke he had work to do. Just like (in the missing pieces mobisode) Christian Shephard says that Jack "...has work to do." Then you start looking back at past episodes. Locke tries to shoot himself, Walt appears and tells him his work is not finished. Jack tries to kill himself in the future and he is distracted by a car accident where he needs to FIX something. Woaaaaaa kids! I think we stumbled upon something. Tie this into Michael's Libby visions and Hurley's Charlie visions and we know that the ISLAND really never left these people that left IT!
- Just for added effect, we see Michael TRY to pull the trigger and when he did the bullets would not come out. An old Game Show (important? I heard Kurt Vonnegut mentioned) is interrupted to bring news that the Oceanic Flight 815 wreckage was found.
- All of this inspires Michael to believe Tom and seek him out at the Penthouse at the Hotel Earl. When we get there we see Tom entertaining his BOY TOY. Yes my friends it has finally been confirmed after Tom telling Kate "you're not my type" that Tom is a bona fide gay man who likes to INDULGE when he's off of the island. Of course take this a step further with him wearing costume beards and makeup on island and he could be a GAY ACTOR. Well, it wouldn't be the first one! (not that there's anything wrong with that!)
- Michael asks Tom if "you people" can just leave the island whenever they want. Tom's response "SOME OF US" hmmmmm Maybe Tom is one of the natives? We have seen Tom, Ethan and Richard appear off island now. And of course we have seen Ben in the future. But do you recall when Ben told Tom (11/1/2009 oops, rewatched Man from Tallahassee...it was RICHARD he told) to "get me the man from tallahassee" and they got him there within hours? How did this happen? Can Tom magically transport himself anywhere off island kind of like a DHARMA Polar Bear into Tunisia? Does this help us tie the Nigerian Drug Plane ending up on the island? Does it help us with the Black Rock ending up in the South Pacific when it was really in the Indian Ocean? Is it all connected? Well you would think they'd be able to come up with one answer to tie all of that together wouldn't you??? But in the meantime....what about all of this nonsense about the Sky Turning purple end distrupting their communications off island? Was Tom full of it? I mean, sure they can't talk to people off island but Tom can just freely leave the island?
- Oh and after Tom sends Michael on his mission (which we'll get to) do you think he stayed back and captured Walt and brought him BACK to the island causing this GROWTH ISSUE? We know Walt appeared to Shannon and Sayid too and he was on island at that point too. Hmmmmm. So many possibilities.
- So Tom explains that Charles Widmore is behind the PHONY FLIGHT 815 crash. He staged a fake crash so that only HE knew of the island's existence and what really happened to Oceanic 815. Michael wants proof. Tom shows Michael paperwork and photographs commissioning the job. Pictures of 324 empy grave sites in Thailand (speaking of Jack Tattoo episodes), paperwork commissioning the ordering of a 777 PLANE that was sent down to depths that would never cause a RECOVERY mission of the bodies. Only a man with incredible amounts of money and resources could pull this off. And we now have our two stories. Widmore is Behind it, Ben is behind it. Which do YOU believe? Sounds like we won't be finding out this season! Keep in mind that the news report said that they would be unable to retrieve the Black Box so the mystery of the crash will remain a mystery. Yet, we saw Captain Gault with this Black Box in last week's episode. hmmmm Does this clue us in a bit? I have no idea!
- Anyway, Tom recruits Michael's help to save his FRIENDS: The REAL Oceanic 815 crew. A freighter is leaving Fiji in a few days. They have reason to believe that Widmore finally has the coordinates to the island. Hmmm, perhaps due to an electro-magnetic EVENT that occurred a few weeks prior? Is Penny linked to this somehow by accident? She knows of the island, her people found the coordinates. Was Charles tapping into this information or are they working together? Does Penny think her father is trying to HELP her find Desmond when he really just wants the island? There's a whole story there that we're not seeing yet!
- But in the meatime, Tom tells Michael he's going to be on this boat under the identity of Kevin Johnson - Deckhand and will KILL everyone on the boat. This is Michael's chance to redeem himself to everyone on the island. You would think in Michael's head if he redeems himself then maybe his son will forgive him too. This is reemphasized by a comment that Pimp Daddy Tom makes.
- So next we see Kevin is reporting to duty in Fiji. He runs into all of our new friends Naomi, George Minkowski, Miles, Keamy. At first he thinks these are good people and starts to get cold feet. Tom is there via cellphone to remind him of some other names that would die if he didn't finish his task (Sun, Sawyer, Jack, Claire and her baby).
- Michael guesses that Naomi is from Manchester. Is that because he recognized a distinct British accent due to him knowing Charlie? Bizarre.
- Miles knows that Michael is "NOT Kevin Johnson" right away further making this one weird dude. Does he just get a read on people? Or did he recognize Mr. Johnson? He also mentioned that 80% of the people on the boat are lying about something. Kinda like Miles is lying about why he is there with the whole 3.2 Million dollar request from Ben.
- During the voyage we see a debate between Frank and Naomi about being the first to fly to the island. Naomi says she has "need to know" business to take care of on the island first and "you don't need to know" Well if everyone else was there to grab Ben, then what was Naomi doing there first? Confirming if there were survivors of Flight 815? Something else that she never got around to?
- Frank and Michael have a chat and Frank reveals that he thinks that the Flight 815 crash they are all aware of is a conspiracy and that he and the captain believe this too. And they also think they may run into survivors on this island. Hmmm where did they get this information???? We still don't quite know!
- Okay, I may be skipping a few scenes now (after my play by play by play!) but we eventually see Michael open his mystery crate and there is loads of C4 inside with an "execute button" (we sure love those!) Eventually Michael sees Keamy shooting his Machine Gun at some clay pigeons and starts to suspect that maybe these are bad people. He goes into the engine room and sets up the bomb and presses execute. A note pops up and says "Not Yet"
- Probably also worth mentioning that Michael sees another vision of Libby saying "don't do it Michael!!" What is it all about? Stay tuned to ALL VISION EXPLANATIONS in a future season!
- Michael gets a call from who he thinks is Walt. It turns out to be Ben talking through a radio in his secret closet. Ben said he wanted to prove to Michael what kind of a person he IS NOT. He is not a murderer. Well...he says he won't kill "INNOCENT" people and there are innocent people onboard. When Michael asks of Ana Lucia and Libby, Ben clarifies that "MICHAEL" killed them. Well well well how convenient? Ben tries to state one more time that he is one of the good guys. He tasks Michael with creating a list (Ben loves those lists!) of everyone onboard, and then to sabotage the communications room and when they go to investigate this, sabotage the engine room and ensure that the freighter would NEVER reach the island. Man, talk about being one step ahead of everyone else. Ben sure knows a lot! Cue all Time Traveling theories again! So we tie together all of the freighter mysteries that have been occuring over the last few episodes with one conversation from Ben. Michael apparently accepts this task because it all unfolded on the ship.
Return to Present Day
- Sayid confirms with Michael that he is indeed working for Ben. Michael says yes. Having already been informed by Captain Gault of the OTHER OCEANIC 815 story, Sayid is a quick believer and HATER of all things Ben! He brings Michael to the captain and reveals that he is NOT Kevin Johnson but the freighter's SABATEUR!
- And that's all we get from that storyline for 5 weeks folks!
- So there is a meeting at Locke (well Ben's) house with all of our favorites present: Claire, Aaron, Sawyer, Hurley, Rousseau, Alex, Karl and Ben. Locke brings captive Miles to everyone to unload some information. They want Ben (nothing new) but Ben confirms that their orders are to kill everyone on island once they have him. How do they know this?
- Ben reveals his spy on the boat is Michael much to Sawyer's disgust. I guess Ben had asked Locke to sit down in a previous episode because he had to tell him how he sent Tom off-island to get Michael? Or just the fact that Michael is still working for Ben would be considered a shock? I think the fact that we knew last summer that Michael was returning to the show took away from many of these "You better sit down" moments! So we'll just have to live with that!
- Miles makes a comment to Sawyer and Locke that Ben WILL find a way to get him his 3.2 million referencing how Ben had a Gun to his head a few days back and now he's eating poundcake. He's a man that gets what he wants. Well he sure is.
- He is able to convince Rousseau, Alex and Karl that Alex is in danger if Widmore's crew ever gets to the island. If they found out Alex was his daughter they'd be able to use her as leverage. Ben pulls out a map and makes reference FINALLY to the TEMPLE where the rest of the OTHERS are. It's a sanctuary for THEIR people (not the 815ers). Go ahead and compare and contrast the FREIGHTER FOLK's map to the tempest vs. the map to the Temple. Anyone else notice that the TEMPLE has a DHARMA logo too? hmmmm I just figured this would be OLDER ISLAND MYTHOLOGY.
- So anyway, Rousseau, Karl and Alex go on their quest to the temple. Karl whips out his Star Wars one liner "I Have a Bad Feeling about this" (used in all 6 movies, check it out yourself!) and then they encounter some kind of STEALTH SHOOTER. Karl gets shot and killed (Thanks EW.com's Doc Jensen for ruining this! I can't read that column anymore before an episode!) Alex is beside herself. Rousseau tries to get Alex in the now, tells her she loves her but they have to run. And then...BAM....Rousseau is shot too! woaaaaaa (totally didn't see that one coming!) Alex gets up and screams "I'm BEN'S DAUGHTER! Don't Shoot I'm his daughter!!!" or something like that and then BOOM......LOST!!!!!
You can make out the back of someone sneaking through the jungle. This is back to some of those stealthy others that we saw in season 1 and 2 right? Perhaps this is not the same crew that went to that temple. But was this all to Ben's plan? Did he want Alex and Rousseau taken out of the picture? Are these more of the RICHARD-natives? Are we finally going to see why some OTHERS are sneaky, creepy and superhuman and mysterious as opposed to the White Collar others we met in season 3? Very good way to take us into a break! And I think after recapping this episode, I enjoyed it more than I thought I did! But we're not done yet folks!