So this episode starts off immediately after Locke falls down the well. When we last left our Island crew Daniel was hovering over Charlotte who passed away and Sawyer, Jin, Juliet and Miles were surrounding a rope in the ground that a few seconds before had John Locke on the other end of it. Crazy Time travel! And exactly "when" did they end up? Well there's a bit of an interesting twist there!
The Final Flash
- We find out that when Locke fell into the Donkey Wheel cave, Sawyer and crew flashed back to a long long long long time ago! Yes folks, Miles spotted a fully constructed gigantic statue that very much looked like something that could have deteriorated over the years only to leave ONE FOOT, which happens to have 4 toes on it!
- FINALLY, we got to see more with the statue. Naturally, we only got to see the back of the statue so no telling what the front is. Wow, so how far DID they travel back? And doesn't it look kinda Egyptian to you? I kinda think so. Let's recap all of our Egyptian paraphernalia hanging around the Island. We have the Hieroglyphics that are showing up on all ancient structures (the temple, the cave that Ben summoned Smokey from). Then we have the DHARMA Swan Station clock that showed the symbols when the clock counted down to zero. We also get a new relic in this episode that is DHARMA related as well. Let's not also forget that Hurley was drawing a picture of a Sphinx in last week's episode. Oh, and there is an Island exit in Tunisia, which is a hop-skip and a jump away from Egypt. What gives people?! Are we making some connections here? Oh, and does it seem like the statue has a nice full head of long hair? Remember way back when in season 3 when we saw a brief shot of JACOB in the rocking chair? He seemed to be sporting that haircut as well, didn't he? (okay, that part is a stretch!) But seriously, we should be tying this Egyptian stuff together by now right? An Island which some crazy energy source, ancient Egyptian artifacts, an ancient wheel deep in the Island that teleports you to Tunisia. A Smoke monster, healing powers. Yikes, I'm still LOST, but I feel like we got a crazy clue here. It would seem that the Egyptians may have been the first residents of the Island. THEORIZE away! And now that we know the statue was COMPLETED at one time, are we now going to have to wait until season 6 to see the front?
- Anyway, while my rant above went on for 3 hours, we only saw like 3 seconds of the statue before we got a whole new kind of flash after Locke turned the wheel. The earth shook the sky was flashing a little differently, but then we got to hear the sound we've come to know and love and BOOM....they were in a new time period sans headaches and nosebleeds. And thus, the flashing ends.
- The well is there again, but there is no hole going deep into the earth. Hmmm, that's weird. Considering the time we know they end up in how did Charlotte know about the well to tell them it was a way to the wheel? Was it recently filled with dirt by the DHARMA Initiative? And come to think of it, now that we know that the donkey wheel exists the spinner to Tunisia, we CAN pretty much confirm that this MUST be how the Polar Bear ended up there right? I know some found this far fetched. But how else would it have happened? Can't we somehow tie this to Charlotte knowing to look in Tunisia and to her knowing about the well? I dunno, maybe I'm grasping at straws here!
- Anyway, they assume Locke has succeeded in leaving the Island and now they will wait. How long you ask? As long as it takes...
- We open up with some DHARMA Security guards slacking on the job. Well, really just Jerry (Jason Street's Crippled friend on Friday Night Lights) and his girl Rosie are dancing to some classic jams on the reel to reel! Then Jerry's security buddy (couldn't make out his name but he was the comedian in season 2 of Mad Men) ruins the fun by saying they need to focus on their job.
- There is a mention of Polar Bears in cages here. We already knew DHARMA was experimenting with Polar Bears, so nothing new. I just want to know how one ended up in Tunisia!
- We see Horace Goodspeed on one of the security cameras all drunk on DHARMA Booze and blowing up trees with Dynamite (from the Black Rock maybe? We know Sawyer brings it up to him 3 years prior) If you don't remember Horace, we saw him in season 3's "The Man Behind the Curtain." On the mainland, he helped deliver Ben on the side of the road and then recruited Ben's dad Roger to work for the DHARMA initiative 12 years later. So this is still before Ben comes to the Island.
- Anyway, the security guys summon the head of security LaFleur. And it turns out to be a clean shaven James "Sawyer" Ford. What a great name: Jim LaFleur You know the writers loved giving Sawyer that alias to go by.
- Sawyer and Miles (Sawyer calls him Enos, not sure if it's a nickname or what he's going by) head out to pick up Horace. Horace seems to be the leader of the DHARMA initiative. His drunkenness is apparently a rare occurrence, so something was up.
- Sawyer brings Horace to Amy (his wife) it's Michelle Dessler from 24!! Lots of recycled cast members from other TV shows in this episode!
- Amy tells Sawyer that they got in a fight over something. Before she can reveal what, she's going into labor!
- We learn from the doctor that all pregnant women are taken off the Island to have their children. Amy was supposed to be on the sub on Tuesday to go to the mainland. But the baby is early. It seems like they were leading us down the path for us to think that even DHARMA folk had trouble having children on the Island. But in later times, no one would have gotten to the stage of pregnancy that Amy did.
- Anyway, a C-Section must be performed and no one there can do it. Sawyer goes and recruits Juliet who is undercover as a DHARMA Maintenance woman. She was fixing one of the vans. Juliet seems to have made an agreement with Sawyer to never work with pregnant women on the Island again due to her track record. Sawyer makes a comment that maybe whatever happens later on the Island that kills pregnant women, hasn't happened yet. This would seem to be the case.
- Later outside of the infirmary, Jin comes to see Sawyer. Looks like Jin is on assignment looking for their friends. He searches one grid of the Island per day. His English has gotten considerably better. Now, after 3 years, that would be understandable! So, it turns out that when Jin found Jack, Hurley and Kate he was in fact actually looking for them. Crazy stuff!
- Juliet comes out and delivers the good news to everyone. "It's a Boy!!!" And now, everyone wonders...WHO is Horace and Amy's child? Ahh, I'm not even going to start theorizing right now!
- I think it is important to note that we did not see Dan in the 1977 storyline. We'll learn in a little bit that Dan kinda went nuts after Charlotte dies. And we saw when the Orchid Video was being filmed that he was working for DHARMA and seemed very interested in that crazy Donkey Wheel. Hmmmmm
- Anyway, Mr. LaFleur, French for The Flower, picks a flower from a garden and heads to Juliet's house who is making a nice dinner. There's some hugging, some kissing and .....woaaaa "I LOVE YOU's" going around. Looks like Sawyer found a new gal to play house with! Not that this is a shocker, they've been building this relationship all season long, well really starting in the season 4 finale. JATERS and SKATERS might be jumping ship soon to support this new LOVEFEST!
- Sawyer, reading a new book is watching over Horace. He wakes up and begins to explain how the fight happened. Horace found a Ankh Neclace that belonged to Paul (Amy's old husband. We'll get to that in a second too!). Horace felt that 3 years was not enough time to get over someone. Sawyer went into his speech talking about how he used to feel for Kate. But then he said he can barely remember her face anymore. 3 years is absoultely enough time to get over someone.
Let's pause this storyline and find out how they got there!
3 Years Ago (1974)
When in doubt, go to the Beach!
- Sawyer, Miles, Juliet and Jin start heading back from the well and find Dan mumbling to himself and saying "I'm not going to go after her this time." He obviously is referring to the creepy comments Charlotte made to him right before she died. Dan is supposedly going to tell little girl Charlotte to leave the Island and never come back unless you want to die! Interesting that he was saying "this time." Kinda reminded me of when Desmond consciousness traveled back to before he was on the Island and relived key moments of his life again and tried to change things. (the first time we meet Mrs. Hawking) Anyway, he still dumps Penny and ends up back on the Island and starts ranting about wanting to go back and try it again. Am I suggesting that this version of Dan has traveled back and tried to prevent this before? No, not really. He is probably just saying it because he knows that Charlotte remembers him doing it which means he will do it. But I did find it interesting!
- Dan told everyone that Charlotte was gone. When she died her body "moved on" and they stayed. Interesting way to put it. Wouldn't you think that "THEY MOVED" and she stayed?
- Dan, explains how they are stuck in the time that they are there for good. Oh, and he's gone a little crazy too!
- Sawyer takes charge with Dan "checked out" mentally. He suggests to go to the beach and wait for Locke and crew. This starts a nice running banter of jokes between Miles and Sawyer. Miles says all they ever have are 2 plans "go to the orchid, or go to the beach." Miles made a good point about the flaming arrows, but how did he know what time they were in when he said the Camp is gone? I guess because they saw the well? I don't think the well was there at all in 2005 beyond. Eh, minor semantics again. It was still great to hear Sawyer tell him to "ZIP IT!" Plus Sawyer then says "IF our stuff is there, Great, if not we build new stuff." So that covers it!
- Juliet publicly agrees with Sawyer to help things to get moving, but then she tells him in private that it's a stupid idea. (flirtingly, albeit!) She tells him to come up with a better plan before they get there. Thankfully, there was GUNFIRE to save the day!
There's Always OTHERS to deal with
- As anyone would, our heroes fled TO the sound of gunfire. We see 2 people that are confirmed as OTHERS, a dead guy in a DHARMA Jumpsuit, and a woman with a bag put over her head. (It's Amy that we meet 3 years from now)
- Miles tries to confirm with Dan that they don't get involved. Apparently, living with a new theory about time travel after his Charlotte conversation, he tells Miles that it doesn't matter what they do. Whatever happened happened. So I guess he's suggesting that if Sawyer and Juliet kill 2 OTHERS, that is what always happened in the timeline. Doesn't make sense with people suddenly getting memories in the future but it's exactly what happened here! Boom, Juliet takes one down before he gets Sawyer and BAM Sawyer gets the other one. Nice little head nod-exchange from Sawyer to Juliet. The flirtation continues!
- Dan gets a new nickname from Sawyer - Plato. And I know this comes later but he calls Miles - Banzai and well that was just a fantastic time!
- It's interesting to note here that Juliet doesn't recognize the OTHERS. She says it is before her time. It's 27 years prior to when Juliet came to the Island. One could argue that these people COULD HAVE still been on the Island as our part of the Nomadic Others tribe. But the ironic thing is, she probably never met them because she helped kill them before she was even there. Ahhhhh Time Travel!
- We find out that the dead DHARMA guy is Amy's first husband, Paul. (Yep, the same Paul that Horace gets all worked up about 3 years later)
- Sawyer begins a massive lie to coverup their time-traveling future-dwelling past. He tells Amy that their ship wrecked here on the way to Tahiti.
- He's also alarmed because the Others had a walkie and may have radioed in for reinforcements. They need to get moving.
- Amy discusses how they need to bury the bodies. DHARMA has some kind of TRUCE with the OTHERS. We will get into the Truce a little more in a bit, but one has to wonder if breaking this TRUCE potentially led to the purge?
- Amy also says they need to bring Paul with them. Jin volunteers to carry him. And they bury the other 2.
Back to the Barracks
- Anyway, they begin their venture to the Barracks. Sawyer still has his take-charge attitude. Explains how he used to lie for a living so everyone just follow his lead.
- Then Dan almost runs into Sonic Fence around the barracks. Juliet sorta blows their cover by screaming at Dan to stop! Amy looks at them now distrustingly. Juliet requests for Amy to turn it off as it looks like some sort of sonic fence. Right, because we run into those every day!
- Long story short, she appears to change settings and walks through (but we hear some kind of noise when she does). Everyone else follows and passes out. Must've been set to a low enough setting that earplugs would do the trick for Amy!
- Sawyer wakes up later and Horace is there to great him. He thanks Sawyer for helping Amy in the jungle. And explains that the fence incident is defense protocol against the Hostiles with whom they don't get along.
- Horace tells Sawyer that all of his people said to talk to him because he was the "boat captain." Anyone else picture Sawyer as the Skipper in a Gilligan's Island remake for just a brief second? Anyway, he introduces himself as Jim LaFleur. Explains they got caught in a storm and shipwrecked and must've hit the reef. They all washed up on shore. He explains how they were on an expedition looking for a Slave Ship based out of England known as the Black Rock. Horace claims he never heard of the Black Rock, which for all we know could be the truth at that point. But 3 years later he most likely got the dynamite from there!
- Sawyer explained that they were in the jungle because some of their crew went missing and they were looking for them (Are they really going to be able to explain that they finally found their crew 3 years later when they pick up Jack, Hurley and Kate? That should be interesting! But we're not there yet!).
- Horace explains that only DHARMA members can stay on the Island and that Mr. LaFleur is NOT DHARMA material. He says that they're all going to be on the next submarine off of the Island. Funny how now that they're in the wrong time, getting off of the Island doesn't sound like such a good idea!
- Miles, Dan, Juliet and Jin wait for Sawyer to salvage the situation. Miles mentions how Sawyer is probably blabbing about time travel at this point.
- Juliet explains how she used to live in the Barracks and how the Others took them over and wiped out mostly everyone that lived there (not Ben!)
- Jin asked Dan if they are no longer going to flash. Dan says no and that the record is spinning again, but they're not on the song they want to be on. Ahhh how poetic. So do we think Dan is going to try and FIX the record? And that's why he is mining at the Orchid?
- Sawyer catches everyone up on the situation that they believed the story but still getting booted from the Island. Oh and that LaFleur is Creole. Maybe Sawyer spent some time in New Orleans during his Conning days? Something tells me we probably won't be getting a backstory on that one!
- Just as they think they're luck has run out, it's The OTHERS to the rescue again! The DHARMA alarm is sounding. Someone has entered the premesis.
- Our Heroes are put into a house under guard with someone that I swore looked like Locke's Helen for a second. But her name was Heather and upon further review, decided it was not her. That just would have been silly!
- We then see Richard with his infamous torch enter the scene. He plants his torch in the ground and waits for someone to come talk to him. Sawyer and Juliet exchange glances "UH OH..." Dum dum dummmmmm!
- Horace goes out to meet Richard. We find out that the Sonic Fence doesn't keep The OTHERS out of the barracks. Interesting. Do they have DHARMA earplugs too or is there something ELSE about our infamous Others? We already know Richard is an ageless wonder! Anyway, we also know he was referring to Smokey when he suggested what the fence DOES keep out.
- Richard said that 2 of his men are missing and that the TRUCE has been broken.
- Horace comes in to check about the bodies with Sawyer. Horace tells Mad Men guy to call the Arrow station and tell them they are at Condition Level 1 and to turn the fence on Max. We learned in the season premiere that the Arrow Station's (aka the station where our Tail Section was living hand found the glass Eye and hollowed out bible) purpose was " to develop defensive strategies and gather intelligence against the island's hostile environments" We now see that playing out here. Hmmm, if Chang was creating the Orientation Video for The Arrow in the premiere and we saw Dan there in the premiere does that suggest Dan goes even further back in time? That just can't be right. Maybe they were operating without an orientation video for awhile.
- Anyway, Sawyer sees this as an opportunity to stay relevant. He volunteers to talk to Richard and explain the situation. Gotta love how he referenced Richard's "eyeliner" too!
- This leads to an awesome scene between Sawyer and Richard. Sawyer explains that he killed the two others in self defense. He saw a woman in distress and saved her. Explained that he's not with DHARMA. And then explains to Richard exactly how he knows him. He asked if they buried "Jughead" 20 years before. He mentioned Locke visiting him and claiming to be their leader. He mentioned he's on the Island waiting for John Locke now. (again, this makes me think of the OTHERS telling John "we've been waiting a long time for you" - of course I still don't understand why Cindy the Oceanic 815 flight attendant said that!)
- Richard then believes that Sawyer is not with DHARMA but that 2 of his people are still dead and they will want Justice. Now why does Richard refer to them as HIS people when he's never 1st in command? Surely, Widmore is in charge at this point!
- Anyway, that's not important right now. What is...is that Richard wants Paul's body in exchange for his 2 dead people. Huh????? This screams of Locke coming back to life again. Are they going to offer him up to the SMOKE GODS or something? This is just bizarre. But I'm sure there is a deeper reasoning for it that we just don't know right now.
- Horace tells Amy he is willing to accept if she doesn't want to give up Paul and that they will suffer the consequences. Amy decides to keep everyone safe by giving up Paul. She takes the Egyptian Ankh Necklace off of his neck.
- By the way, the Ankh is another Egyptian Symbol that represents Eternal Life.
- Interesting that he was wearing that and that The Others want his body. That's all I'm saying! Oh, that and that there is more Egyptian artifacts on the ISLAND both inside DHARMA and out. What is going on here???
- Anyway, this wins Sawyer and crew a 2 week stay on the Island to look for their friends. But we can assume they worked that into 3 years with Sawyer's classic conning ways!
- Ahhh and then the big scene between Sawyer and Juliet happens. Juliet has been trying to get off of the Island for a long time. Locke said that he was leaving to save them, and they appear to be saved. And even with it being 30 years earlier, she still wants to take that sub and leave the Island. She said that her life as she knew it not existing off of the Island yet is not a reason to go. Sawyer then asks if HE is a reason not to go. He goes an a great rant about how she can't leave him there with a Mad Scientist and a Mr. "I speak to Dead people" and Jin who is a great guy but not the best conversationalist. He needs her to have his back. He begs her to give him 2 weeks. And well we see what that turns into over 3 years. And thus, the birth of the new couple to root for blossoms. (And yeah, I know we already talked about it above!)
Back to the Future (3 years later)
But Present time for our 815/316/Freighter/Juliet Generationers
Yet still the Past! (1977)
Longest Blog header in Lost Addicts history! Sidenote: you would hope at least the DHARMA crew were able to leave the Island during the summer of 1977 to watch Star Wars at least a couple dozen times! Anyway, back in DHARMA-Land 1977, Sawyer and Juliet are catching some Z's and the phone rings. Jin's on the phone. Sawyer instructs Jin not to bring them in and to meet him at the North Valley. Juliet asks what is going on. Sawyer says that it's Jin and he has to go. Sawyer drives a DHARMA JEEP (new vehicle!) to meet up with Jin in his DHARMA VAN. Sawyer gets out of the car, Hurley steps out of the van with the guitar. Jack steps out in his suit. Jack and Sawyer exchange smiles. And then Sawyer sees Kate....and it would appear all feelings that he has forgotten about came rushing back within a second.
- What role will Jack, Hurley and Kate play in the DHARMA past? Will Sawyer work them into their lie? He IS head of security afterall!
- What about all of these Egyptian Artifacts? Anyone want to venture a guess on the ultimate question to end them all? WHAT IS THE ISLAND?!
- Will the show end with our crew stuck in the PAST or is Dan going to try and change that? I am going to guess that they won't if we have Locke and the Ajira crew in the future. And especially if SUN is separated by time from Jin.
- How is the next interaction between Ben and Locke going to go?
- Who is Jacob???
- How did Christian Shephard change out of his Suit into Business Casual?
- Why doesn't Richard age?
- What is the Smoke Monster?
- What happened to Desmond and Penny?
- Charles Widmore: Good Guy or Bad Guy - Discuss
- Ben Linus: Good Guy or Bad Guy - Discuss
- How are Nikki and Paulo doing in the ground in 2007?
- Did Jughead implode when the Hatch imploded?
- How did Kelvin get to the Island? Was he there during the purge and allowed to keep pushing the button?
- Will we ever meet Radzinsky?
- Who are the Adam and Eve Skeletons?
- And finally, where on earth are ROSE AND BERNARD?????!!!!!!!
Next episode looks like a doozy, but to avoid spoilers, I'll avoid discussing for now. In the comments? All bets are off! Discuss away folks. Hope you enjoyed my ramblings, NAMASTE and see you in 2 weeks!
This blog will also be posted on Gather.com. Feel free to check it out and send some votes my way! You may also stumble upon additional discussions there!
Special thanks as always to Sledgeweb for providing awesome screen shots on their site.