Synopsis: 3 Storylines - We see the chess pieces put into motion on both sides. For now, we should believe Ben when he calls them "THE GOOD GUYS" - Locke/Ben/Hurley travel aimlessly in search for the Cabin and seek guidance in defending the Island. "THE BAD GUYS" - P.O.'d and Trigger-Happy Keamy returns to freighter with his crew - Drama Ensues. In the Flashback, we see the birth of John Locke and witness key moments in his life suggesting his pre-destination. Let's break it all down!
- It seems like there were minor casualties from their encounter with the smoke monster. 2 episodes ago, it seemed like all of Keamy's crew bought it. Last episode it looked like they were carrying one guy. This seems to remain consistent in this episode as they pull one man off of the chopper. Keamy explains that a large cloud of Black smoke took him 50 feet into the air and tore his guts out. Niiiiiice. Sounds a little like what happened to Seth Norris, our fearless Pilot of Oceanic Flight 815.
- Keamy goes straight after Captain Gault suggesting that he ratted the mercenary out to Ben. Gault denies this and takes Keamy to Michael's "CELL" where he is cuffed. Well, apparently Michael's task is not done yet. Because Keamy went right in for the kill and the trigger would pull with no bullet leaving the chamber. CRAZY!!!!
- Michael seems very proud of his working for Ben and providing him with information to use to his advantage. While the gun doesn't work on Michael, Keamy does get a nice elbow to Michael's face.
- The Black Smoke victim dies driving Keamy to further need for Revenge. He tells Lapidus to get chopper ready. Lapidus suggests that he was only supposed to fly SCIENTISTS to the island. I knew I liked that Frank guy!
- Gault suggests that people have come down with a "SICKNESS" with Regina throwing herself overboard (first time we blatantly see on the show the same term being used for what has happened to freighter crew as the "SICKNESS" that claimed Rousseau's crew.) He suggests maybe Keamy is getting a little sick himsef. He denies.
- Keamy, wasting no time (man this storyline was moving at light speed! thanks a lot writers strike!), ripped a key from Gault's neck to open a safe requiring 2 keys. Time for Plan B! Keamy refers to Ben knowing they were going to "TORCH THE ISLAND" We get confirmation that this is not what Gault signed up for either. (I'm sorry, but why were we so convinced to be scared of the Captain by everyone before we met him? He never seemed to do anything out of the ordinary except let Regina jump off the freighter!)
- Keamy opens the safe (apparently Plan B is sponsored by Widmore). He mentions that in the safe holds the secret to where Ben is going. Well, when he flips open the book, did anyone notice the DHARMA logo that we were all meant to see? Hmmmm opens up so many possibilities. But the initial possibility is that we are going to have that forseen showdown at the Orchid Station in the season finale (the logo is for the Orchid Station that we've seen in a pre-season 4 video and I believe we saw the logo on Ben's Parka when he mysteriously arrived in October 2005 to Tunisia)
- This suggests to me also that perhaps Widmore IS a descendent of DHARMA and still seeking revenge on Ben for the PURGE (of course Ben does not take the blame for this as we'll explore later). We were told in this week's podcast that more DHARMA mythology will be revealed to us in season 5 possibly explaining the Food Drops that occurred in season 2. But maybe Widmore's involvement is a connection. We'll see next year!
- Dez and Sayid have a chat with Captain getting caught up on what's going on. Sayid wants everyone off of the island. The captain is willing to help. He allows them use of the boat to go back and warn his friends and start bringing them back.
- Lapidus encounters Michael. He asks why Michael didn't tell him he was an 815 survivor. Michael reinforces that Keamy is going to kill everyone when he goes to that island. And he doesn't suggest anyone should live with that on their conscience. Here we go with Michael's redemption tale. Will he sacrifice himself for his friends? Will the island allow him to die in this fashion?
- Sayid jumps in the boat and is ready to go. Desmond REFUSES to go back to the island. "I've been there for 3 years brothaaaaaa. I love Penny!!!!" Sayid understands this. Dezzie clearly states to Sayid to stick to the right bearing. Don't want any crazy Time-Mind travels!!! Sayid ships off to the island.
- Oh right...so I forgot to mention OMAR (random Freighter folk that seems in line with Keamy) receives the MORSE Code message asking about the Doc from Daniel. Doc is still alive at this point. Omar brings up the Morse Code message to Doc later in the episode foreshadowing his ultimate death. Of course, the message stated a lot more detail that Dan had mentioned when he sent the message. (slit throat and showing up on the beach and all)
- Well the reason I menton all of this now is because there is the eventual stand-off between Keamy and Lapidus. Frank tries to hold his ground and say that he was not sent to fly these people to kill everyone on the island. Frank doesn't think Keamy will shoot him since he's the only pilot. So instead, Frank kills the Doc, slits his throat and throws him off of the freighter. Oh yeah, and he shoots Captain Gault too. Oops!!! Frank - "Okay Keamy - you're nuts, I guess we're going to the island!" Frank activites the SAT phone, wraps it up in a bag and they head to the island.
- Before we get to the final scene with this crew...let's dig into some crazy time things going on here! Okay, so producers mentioned in some crazy interview that Communications via a SAT PHONE would probably occur in REAL-TIME. But sending messages through a telegraph (a la Morse Code) or signals from a Radio Transmission (a la Glenn Miller on the Radio for Sayid and Hurley in season 2) would run into some crazy time-distortions. That's all well and good....so the Morse Code message seems to have been sent BEFORE the Doc was dead (minutes or hours before he died). But here's where my problem comes in. Keamy was ON THE ISLAND in the episode where Doc comes ashore. Are we meant to assume that these storylines aren't necessarily occuring at the same time chronologically? That can really screw us up because we're so focused on any time elements of the show! But that doesn't make sense either right? Because THEN it seems like minutes later the chopper is arriving ashore and this is a day or 2 after Jack's appendectomy. How did the BODY arrive to the island days before the Chopper? This doesn't seem to fit the mold of Dan's "your friends haven't been gone as long as you think they have" But maybe it does! I just don't see how they'll be able to logically explain any of this! With Michael Crichton-like fiction or not! But I'm anxiously awaiting their attempt!
- We should also note this RADIO thing that Keamy attached to his arm. They pointed it out twice. SLEDGEWEB says it looks like an XM radio. Any thoughts out there? I'm sure this will play a part in the finale.
- So yes, we do see a glimpse of our Team Jack Beach Dwellers as the chopper approaches. It flies right over them but it slows down just enough for Frank to drop that SAT Phone off. Jack sees that it is tracking their movement. "I think they want us to follow them" Hmmmm ultimate showdown at the Orchid Station for ALL Island dwellers? I'm sure they'll wait to make their next move until Sayid gets ashore, which will probably be perfect timing with Sawyer, Miles and Aaron returning. So 5 of the Oceanic 6 will be in one place. But Hurley is still with TEAM JACOB! Which reminds me...we need to talk about Locke!
John Locke - The Chosen One
- We open up the episode jamming to some Buddy Holly "Everyday." We all know that Buddy Holly died in a plane crash. Keeps with the theme of them using various musicians on the show that died in Plane Crashes.
- It would seem like the 1950's based on the outfits. Emily Locke and Mother have an argument. She runs out of the house and gets hit by a car. We find out she's pregnant. John Locke is born 3 months pre-mature.
- Locke fights off many illnesses but fully develops. The first sign that he is SPECIAL.
- He catches the eye of one RICHARD ALPERT - yep he still looks the same age! Thank God Nestor Carbonell is back on the show! Team Darlton should definitely sign him up as a regular for season 5 and 6 (if necessary) to ensure that we will be able to get his full story. Ever since he appeared to Ben as a 12 year old boy and looked the same age as he did in present day, he has our curiosity peaked! What is up with this crazy guy?
- Only thing else to note is that Emily (whom next time we meet she is helping Locke's Dad con John out of Kidney) abandons John. She had made claims to an Immaculate Conception during that CON with Locke's dad. Perhaps Anthony Cooper was NOT Locke's father? I think that would take away a lot from that story if this was the case though. So I'm not going down that road!
- Locke gets a visit at foster home by Richard. Richard has a bag of tricks that he wants to show to John. He lays them out on the table and asks John which have belonged to him previously. Okaaaaay...this is weird!
Baseball Glove, Book of Laws, Bottle of Sand/Pebbles???, Compass, "Mystery Tales" Comic Book with the text "Hidden Land," and a KNIFE
- Sledgeweb's site suggests that this process is gone through to find the new Dali-lama. It does have a bit of a reincarnation vibe going on with it. There is nothing still suggesting that Locke is NOT, in fact, Jacob. How Ben ties into all of this seems to be getting weird and weirder but more intriguing at the same time!
- Anyway, Locke picks the Sand, the Compass and the Knife. Upon picking the knife Richard seems upset, grabs his things...states that the knife did NOT belong to Locke and then he leaves. "he is not ready yet" woaaaaaa Now the Foster Home "MOM??" seemed to be in the loop on why Richard was there. Unless it was just about this SCHOOL FOR THE GIFTED that Richard went on about.
Awkward High School Years
- Locke's sciene teacher approaches him about someone from Portland recruiting him for Science Camp. It was that crazy MITTELOS crew again (anagram for LOST TIME), that recruited Juliet to the island. Ahhhh remember back in the season 1 days when we thought everyone was on that plane for a REASON? When we pondered that there were people out there RECRUITING specific people for the island? Well in John Locke's case, this may be absolutely true! Richard was also the one who recruited Juliet under the Mittelos name.
- John tries to deny his fate by saying he's into Fishing, Sports and Boxing. The teacher tells him he cannot deny who he is. He can't be a superhero......John brings out his favorite line "Don't tell me what I cannot do!!" I'm gonna go ahead and guess that Locke did NOT go to Science Camp!
Locke - The REHAB Years
- No sense in drawing out the suspense to who was helping Locke in Rehab. It was Matthew Abaddon. The very same man we see meeting with Hurley in his flash forward, claiming to work for Oceanic Airlines but asking if there are ANY SURVIVORS. The same man that was seen giving Naomi her instructions to bring these 4 crazy people (Miles, Charlotte, Frank, Dan) to the island and apparently had some other mission PRIOR to them going to the island. The same man that told Naomi "There were NO survivors of flight 815"
- Well now Matthew pretty much convinced Locke to go on a "WALKABOUT" (yes the same as the title of Locke's first flashback episode that reveals he was in a wheelchair. the same episode we first heard him say "don't tell me what i cannot do! This is my destiny! I was supposed to do this!!!") Matthew says that the walkabout is a journey of finding onesself (or something like that). He says he went on one himself and came out a totally different person. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that ol' Matty intended for this "WALKABOUT" to occur on FANTASY ISLAND and not necessarily in Australia. Of course, directing Locke to Australia was the key to getting him on flight 815.
- So who IS this guy??? Is he an island native in cahoots with Richard? Why would he be haunting Hurley if he was? But why also would he be behind Naomi sending this group of scientists to the island along with a nut who believes the fake Flight 815 was indeed FAKE!? I'm intrigued. I'm sure he'll factor into our 3 hour finale but will we get any answers?
- He says he's a lot more than an orderly and when Locke finds himself "You'll OWE me" hmmmmmm foreshadowing? Is Abaddon Jacob? Now THAT would be crazy! I guess we'll find out in due time!
The "GOOD" GUYS
- Comical opening to this storyline when the 3 of them are wandering through the jungle and they all pretty much figure out that no one knows where they are going! Hurley - The man who has seen the moving cabin, Locke - the man who HEARD Jacob, Ben - The man who has previously been TIGHT with Jacob. Ahhh quite a braintrust! Well Locke decides to set camp for the night.....ENTER CRAZY DREAM LAND!
- We see Horace Goodspeed in the dream. No, kids, this is NOT Jacob! (Can't tell you how many people came up to me asking why ABC showed Jacob in the promos! We never even saw Jacob except for a glimpse that looked like John Locke with a lot of hair!) Anyway Horace was the man that was present at Ben's birth on the side of the road and also the guy that recruited Roger (Roger "Workman," ben's dad) to the fabulous life of a DHAMRA Janitor!
- We see Horace in some kind of loop chopping a tree. He says he's building a cabin for the family (ahhhh so he build Jacob's cabin!). Told Locke that if he finds him (horace) then he will find Jacob. And Jacob has been waiting a long time for him.
- When Locke wakes up he has a clear sense of where to go. And Ben states "I used to have Dreams" hmmmmm Maybe Richard gave up on Locke when he picked up the knife and then THOUGHT Ben was the Chosen One. And this inspired the Island supporting Ben.
- Locke leads Ben and Hurley to the DHARMA grave. Great clip with Hurley "What happened" and Locke pointing to Ben "He did."
- Of course Ben, as we stated earlier, claims it was not his call. He was not ALWAYS the leader of the Others. It seems Richard was appointed to find their next leader. This is all we have to go on for now!
- Locke jumped into grave and started looking for Horace. Hurley asks if this is where Ben shot Locke and left him for dead. He said yes and he wasn't thinking straight. If he was, he would've known it was pointless. (it's comments like this where I think...well maybe the producers are making it up "a little bit" as they go along!!)
- Locke tries to send Hurley back to the beach but Hurley doesn't want to risk the jungle by himself. Ben states something to the effect "you convinced him that it was HIS idea to stay. good job!" John "I'm not you" Ben "I know" hmmmmmm So did he or did he not CON Hurley? Weird.
- Anyway, they arrive to where the Cabin should be and Ben starts talking CONSEQUENCES. How he was ONCE the chosen one and then he got a tumor on his spine and his daughter died. "Being the chosen one is a Bitch!" he says! Sorry for making this a PG Blog this week kids!!! Apparently Consequences for actions will become a central theme on LOST. Ben may face consequences for summoning the Smoke Monster. Did Ben fault the island at some point during his leadership? Who knows??
- So anyway Hurley spots the cabin. Ben and Hurley refuse to go in. Locke enters on his own. Dum dum dummmmmmmmmm
- Okay....so this was some creepy stuff. So Christian Shephard is in there waiting for Locke. He is speaking on behalf of Jacob. We've already discussed to no-end how we know Shephard is dead. We don't have an answer to this yet. We should note that he's wearing different clothes than the normal suit and sneakers (he was when he was holding Aaron last week too). The big shocker is the CLAIRE is in the shack too! And man does she look creepy! "HI JOHN!!! I'm with him now"
Okay, I'm sure many of you have heard the rumor now that Claire may have died in the explosion during the OTHERSVILLE Invasion. Hints towards this: She mentions Charlie when she wakes up, and Miles various comments and stares in the 2 episodes since the explosion. Miles has a tendency to pick out dead people from a crowd. When Claire makes a comment like "i'm a little woozy but I'll live." Miles responds "I wouldn't be too sure about that" Interesting right???
Well Christian says she is where she is supposed to be and to not tell the others you've seen her. Aaron is where HE is supposed to be and that is not HERE. hmmmmm wasn't he supposed to be raised by Claire???
- Anyway, more on that to come in another episode! But discuss away your thoughts! I'm intrigued!
- Christian says that Locke should know why he's here. Locke says "I was chosen to be here"....Christian says "that's absolutely right" Locke FINALLY senses that he is getting answers in his island quest. Christian says to ask the question he is supposed to ask.
- "How do I save the island?" (we see Christian and Claire's faces...a smile on both)
- Next scene we see Ben and Hurley splitting a candy bar. Locke comes out......Ben "did he tell you what we're supposed to do?"
"He wants us to move the Island"
Woaaaaaa So remember when we suggested that the island might be mobile? This explains the Nigerian Drug Plane being able to get to the island. Possibly why things from the Indian Ocean have ended up on the island. Lots of possibilities! How does the Island Move??? well I have no idea. Does it involve the Orchid Station? That would be my guess since that's where Keamy is headed! But this clarifies why Ben says to Widmore "you'll never find it" when we already knew he had found it!
Lots to discuss with this episode. But we have a great setup for a fantastic finale! What did you guys think of this crazy episode? I'm sure I missed stuff. It was a late night when I watched it. Discuss your thoughts and let's look forward to the 3 hour closer and what will most likely be another spectacular finale!! See you next week!