Now, on with the show!
Basically tonight, while learning about the FREIGHTER FOLK, Team Jack and Team Locke slowly run into these 4 new characters. Conflicts ensue, Ben continues his trend of getting beaten to a pulp, love triangles (or rectangles) evolve, and lots of blog poster speculations are confirmed! (we have some smart readers!) Let's dive in and see what we find!
Well Kids, it has been confirmed (just like the title of this episode). Naomi wasn't a TOTAL liar. The world at large definitely thinks Oceanic Flight 815 and all of its passengers are at the bottom of the ocean floor in the Sunda Trench off the coast of Bali. Bodies were identified and a huge cover-up is underway. But who is behind the cover-up? It's starting to sound like Oceanic Airlines themselves are behind it! And of course, as we've been discussing since last season...why the cover-up? Apparently, SOMEONE out there didn't want SOMEONE else to be looking for anyone on this island or perhaps the island itself!
For anyone following the FIND815 online LOST game going on, you'll recognize the name of the ship that was involved in finding 815"Christiane I" I wasn't really following it all that closely. But last week the Oceanic ad during Eli Stone suggested that Flight 815 WAS found. And when you went to http://www.flyoceanicair.com/ they had a News Reel covering the finding of the flight.
The finding of FAKE Flight 815 was tied into our first flashback of the night. Let's MEET THE FREIGHTIES shall we?
Before we begin, it might be important to note that all 4 of these people seem obsessed with the news that Flight 815 was found. The significance of this is still a mystery. It may have just been a way to tie the 4 stories together since it was a current event at the time.
1.) Danny Faraday - Played by the French Translator guy from Saving Private Ryan
- Flashback took place in Essex Massachusetts
- We don't learn much of Danny except we do see him crying at the news of Flight 815 being found and he doesn't know why. This may be later explained by the fact that he's a "headcase." After watching this show for 4 years, something tells me there is more to it!
2.) Miles Strum - played by the guy from that episode of the Sopranos with Uncle Junior in the nursing home (in fact, that episode is the very reason he was cast for this role)
- Flashback takes place in Inglewood, California
- Listens to the news of Flight 815 on the radio. Can't tell if he's obsessed with it, or if it just happens to be on the radio.
- Okay, so we find out our buddy Miles is a Ghostbuster (maybe Ghost Whisperer?)? So, looking past the bizarre profession, is this confirming the actual existence of Ghosts in the LOST mythology? Is this hinting that season 4 will begin to uncover the truth around the visions our island folk have been having? (well if it's tied to the smoke monster....we sure didn't get the answer to THAT tonight! more on that later) Well, at this point...all we know is that Miles has a short temper and yep, he talks to ghosts! But I'm convinced, as with anything else in the Lost universe, nothing is as it initially seems. (well then again, Desmond DID see the future! but whatever! It's a crazy island! The DHARMA folks messed with the space time continuum!)
- I was more interested at the picture on the wall that the camera blatantly focused on for awhile. I thought I was going out of my mind when I thought to myself (isn't that Eko as a child??). Sure enough, our friends at Sledgeweb (whom I've never met or associated with!) seem to have seen the relation too. Perhaps Mrs. Gardner is one of those "Adopt an African Child for 10 cents a day" type of people? All we know is that Mrs. Gardner had a child who was murdered and the GHOST was haunting the house. Well, Eko never actually made his way TO America (he was working on it...but that whole flight 815 thing happened!). So I just have one question to the powers that be.....WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON????? Now granted, it might not be Eko. But come on....they used a look-a-like for a reason, didn't they?
- Let's see...what else? Well Miles had his own crazy ghost busting machine which seemed to draw out the ghost. But he did talk to GHOST BOY after he turned the machine off too. Just a bizarre little flashback. Not much else to say about it!
- Except we do get confirmation of SOMETHING else in that room when the "ghost" knocks something over near the big pay day that Miles was looking for. A bunch of cash....and some zip locked drugs.
- I would also throw out there that maybe this is all Henry Gale (the real Henry Gale) related, but he's from Minnesota. I have a feeling that we'll be getting some Henry Gale information eventually this season! I mean...why WAS there a balloon on this island with henry all buried under it? As confirmed with this episode, BEN has information....and I'm gonna guess as much as our survivors want to kill the guy, he's going to keep dishing it out whenever he needs to get out of a situation! (gotta love Michael Emerson!)
3.) Charlotte Staples Lewis - Or as I like the call her - "Kristen Bell's Replacement" (why did she take that stupid role on Heroes???)
- Flashback takes place in Medenine, Tunisia
- Is seen reading a news paper (in French? Tunisian? What language do Tunisians speak anyway? Looks French!) about the discovery of Flight 815. Also indicates that she still can't believe it and has been reading any paper in any language she can find.
- Well besides the fact that we find out Charlotte is LOST's very own Ross Gellar (aka Anthropologist), she discovers the remains of no...not a Dinosaur, but a Polar Bear in the middle of the desert. With none other than a DHARMA Hydra tag with it. Begin Mind Puzzling Now! So what was a Polar Bear doing in Tunisia? What was a Polar Bear doing on the island? It looked like it was dead for a pretty long time too didnt it? Is this to suggest that the DHARMA folks (as indicated before,Dharma folks messing with time!) sent a Polar Bear back in time several (and I mean lots and lots!) years? And if they did....how did they get it to Tunisia at the same time? The only thing I know is that Tunisia is not TOO far from Nigeria (another locale that is obviously Island related...how did that crazy small plane get to the island??). WHERE on earth is this island? everywhere??? (I am still thinking so!) And why is there an upside down city in the latest LOST logo??? (see bottom of Lost Blog). Surely this island is not underground! Maybe we'll find out from the freighters how they found the island. But I'm guessing not, since Future Jack has no idea how to get back!
- The other question, did Charlotte finding this Dharma emblem begin her obsession with finding the island? She looked pretty excited to find it, like she'd seen something like it before. Eh...who knows? I'm still with Jack...let's let it play out!
4.) Frank Lapidus - Also known as the guy we thought they cast as Jacob. Nope! He's Frank Lapidus...and the producers created this character with Jeff Fahey (the actor) in mind. They even pulled him out of retirement (building orphanages in Afghanistan) to get him to play this role. And well, I like him already!
- Flashback takes place in Eleuthera, Bahamas
- We see Frank playing with a toy plane that looks much like an oceanic plane. I didn't bother to get a screenshot of it, but the Sledgeweb crew claimed to have seen the DHARMA logo on it. I didn't.
- We see more news footage of flight 815 with a phone number: 888-548-0034 - Oceanic Airlines 815 Hotline - Give them a call! Sounds like there could be more info on the way.
- We see the pilot, (now named Seth Norris) or as you all probably know him as Matt from Heroes and also friend of JJ Abrams (starred in Alias). He has a fancy Mustache in his mugshot on the news.
- Frank calls up the hotline and gets past the initial screening by saying the guy in the video footage is NOT Seth Norris, a man never seen without his wedding ring. This was enough to get him to some higher authority who tried to convince Frank that it was Seth. This is what made me think Oceanic may be involved in the cover-up too. And then we have to ask how involved is Oceanic in general?
- The big zinger is that Frank was supposed to be flying 815 that day, not Seth! Oooh he's already the most interesting of our Freighter folks! So the big question is...does he feel guilt for not flying that day? Or, did he WANT to be flying that plane because he knew where it was going? Okay, I may have lied earlier....I want another flashback on this guy! And hell bring in Greg Grunberg again to play Seth! And make him wear that mustache!
Okay, I read some critic's early reviews of the episode and one in particular discussed a continuity error that would surely fire up Lost fans. I don't know if this one was it but it's the only one I can think of. We got a Naomi flashback even though Naomi is dead (I mean she's definitely dead right???) This would be the first time this has ever happened. Even when we thought Nikki and Paulo were dead and flashing back....we eventually found out that they were merely paralyzed. So, this was a bit interesting. Of course with Miles doing all of his Ghost talking around her...who knows if her PRESENCE was still around??? I'm not going to get overly critical about it! It's a TV show people!!
So, we get some dirt on Naomi. While she wasn't lying about Flight 815 being found and bodies being in the planes, she was lying about how much she knew. It seems that Matthew Abbaddon (the same gentleman that visited Future Hurley in the Nut House) gave Naomi her orders to bring these 4 crazy freighter folk to the island...they each are coming to serve their individual purpose and Naomi's job is to keep them alive and in order to complete the mission.
- Of the 4 profiles placed before Naomi, she notes that none of them have military training, field experience. This would make me think that Naomi DOES (or DID).
- Abbaddon refers to the mission as a High Risk Covert Op in "Unstable Territory" So, they are aware of this island. And they must know where it is. But how and why????
- And what exactly are these 4 people's purposes? Miles the Ghostbuster (investigate the paranormal activity on the island perhaps?), Charlotte the Anthropologist (is she interested in what has happened at the Hydra station over the years?), Danny the Headcase or Physicist (is he going to investigate the magnetism of the island), and Frank the Drunk (which Abbaddon notes is a good pilot. And really...what is his REAL purpose of being there with our knowledge that he was supposed to fly flight 815?).
- And what's up with their mission being to find Ben? That must only be step one. Who are these people really? Naomi crashes on the island with a picture of Desmond and Penny but now we find out they're after Ben? Was Naomi's mission different? And where did they get that picture? Was it photocopied from the picture in Penny's bedroom? Perhaps the Freighter crew is funded by Charles Widmore? But then what does HE know about Ben? So many questions!
- And of course Abbaddon tries to convince Naomi that there were no survivors of Flight 815 and don't ask questions. Naomi responded in a sarcastic way with "I know"....like she had knowledge of the cover-up. So is Abbaddon wondering if the Freighties are still alive when he talks to Hurley....or the Flight 815ers?? or Ben, Juliet, Desmond??? So many ways to go right now! I'm enjoying the ride!
We begin with Jack, Kate and Danny trying to find the rest of Danny's crew. Eventually, suspicions grow and we're joined by Sayid and Juliet. Here's what went down!
- It seems the chopper had some trouble (later there were claims that it was struck by lightning). It would seem anything that gets close to this island seems to malfunction! Naomi's helicopter, Desmond's Sailboat (goes in circles, he got shipwrecked there), the Black Rock, The nigerian drug plane, oh yeah Oceanic Flight 815 (even though the Hatch releasing the electro-magnetic surge caused it)
- Danny appears (as mentioned above) to be a nervous headcase. He can't stay focused on one thing at a time, and tries to be very nice to Jack and Kate (even though his first objective on the island was to load his gun and prepare for the worst). Jack noticing the gun starts to become concerned about their new guests.
- They stumble upon some gear from the Chopper. Okay, so why does this crew have Gas masks? And when we learn that rescue is not their primary objective and eventually learn BEN is. Why do they have gas masks??? Hmmm well some blog commenters are convinced that these people are descendants of Off-Island Dharma folk who want revenge on Ben for the PURGE. Well what's the best revenge than to give him a taste of his own medicine? Remember when he gassed the Dharma folk? This theory would kinda Tie in to Charlotte being pretty interested in seeing that DHARMA logo on the polar bear remains. Still seems like these people were randomly recruited. But there has to be a reason that ties them together! DHARMA may just be it! Let's keep watching!
- In a separate scene we see Juliet and Sayid begin to question their decision to trust the freighter folk. They decide to grab some guns and go after Jack and Kate. Biggest thing to note here is that Juliet believed Ben.
- So then the transponder for Miles comes up on the Sat Phone. And we meet that crazy guy! Confirming more Blog posters correct....Naomi's "Tell my sister I love her" WAS indeed code to signal distress. Very smart readers indeed!
- I liked the irony of Miles giving an example and saying it would be like Jack saying "Tell My Sister I love her" Of course, Jack does have a sister, he just doesn't know it yet!
- Miles takes control of the situation temporarily with his gun and requests to be taken to Naomi's body (mistakenly thinking Kate killed her). Kate does inform Miles of the truth. Which of course Miles is able to confirm by talking to Naomi's ghost! ummmmmmm what is going on????
- Jack is able to regain the situation by winking to Kate. No no...actually he took a page out of the OTHERS handbook and claimed that their crew had Miles and Danny surrounded. (ahh remember the days when we thought Tom was Zeke and he was the chief??) Anyways....the best part of this little transaction was Miles saying "How Stupid do you think I am", the calvary coming in (Sayid/Juliet) guns blazin...and Jack giving the best line he's had since "We have to go back!" "I dunno Miles, How stupid are you?" FANNNNTASTIC! HERO JACK is back!
- Love Rectangle grows a bit here with Juliet and Jack being all flirty and Kate feeling out of the loop. Of course Jack mentioning the wink got Kate to smile a bit. (and of course a little ways away....Sawyer and Ben had words about his decision to leave Kate...we'll discuss that in the TEAM LOCKE section!)
- Okay...so what about Danny noting that the light is strange on the island? Can anyone clear up what he said here? It sounded like he said it doesn't "scatter" quite right??? What on earth does THAT mean?
- When Sayid interrogates Danny (much to Miles's disgust)....Danny mentions he's a physicist. Miles also reacts sarcastically to being questioned about not being surprised to see Flight 815 survivors. So, apparently these guys were in the loop about the survivors. If Abbaddon was telling Naomi "THERE WERE NO SURVIVORS" you would think she was supposed to keep info from these 4 people. Did she tell them anyway? Or did they know something already? Or did just MILES know something? Or does Miles just not care?
- After Locke and crew find Charlotte, they send her transponder back with Vincent (poor Vincent! if only they knew he could talk to Dead Chief Surgeons!)
- We then meet Frank Lapidus whose satellite phone is busted. He shoots off a flare and is found by Jack and crew. He also saw a Cow (actually probably a bull)...must've been from the Flame station?
- Lapidus, in talking to Juliet figures out he wasn't on the plane. What was up with him memorizing the manifest? Was it because he is so distraught over not flying flight 815? Or was it because that was an assignment?
- In any case they called Juliet a native and eventually it is revealed that they want Benjamin Linus and Miles even shows a picture. The biggest thing to note of this picture is that it appears that Ben has traveled off of the island as well. This doesn't look like the island. So what was he doing in his off-island venture?
- Oh yeah...and Frank was able to land the Chopper!!! And Sayid...who must've downloaded helicopter knowledge into his head MATRIX style, informed everyone that the Helicopter will most certainly fly! Frank indicated to Miles that they would take Naomi's body on the "next run" Do they really intend to rescue everyone after they're done? Or is this all one big lie?
So Locke and his followers are heading to the Barracks. But midway through their journey Locke indicates they need to go to a cabin. They stumble upon a Freighter folk, conflict ensues! Here's what went down!
- Remember last week when I noted that it appeared Locke didn't see the rain storm coming? Well everything was back to normal this week as he predicted when it would end! I wonder if the island was reacting to its new visitors? It rained the morning after Naomi arrived too. I dunno..probably a stretch. But I'm still perplexed how Locke can figure out the rain patterns!
- When Locke says he wants to go to a cabin, Hurley mentions that he thought it was the other way to which Locke and Ben look very surprised. So now I'm a bit confused at what happened last week with seeing Locke's eye in the shack. Maybe Locke wasn't involved in that whole scene. But then...how did Locke DISAPPEAR from the Radio Tower? Argggh this show is nuts! The answers will come, I must keep telling myself this!
- Nickname alert - Sawyer calls Locke Colonel Kurtz (Marlon Brando's character in Apocalypse Now - a leader who has supposedly gone insane). Glad the nicknames are back!
- We get our first IN EPISODE confirmation that WALT was supposed to look older! Locke said he got his orders from a taller looking Walt. Eventually Sawyer calls him Taller Ghost Walt. So perhaps this goes along with the whole messing with time thing again? We know the producers told us they would be able to explain Walt aging. We'll just have to stay tuned on how this one evolves!
- Walt told him to stop Naomi from bringing other people to island. And Locke did what he was told.
- One more time, Blog Readers and the LOST community in general got Locke's survival from a gunshot pegged correctly as he was shot right through his missing kidney. Thanks Anthony Cooper!!!
- Locke claims to keep Ben alive because they need his information and he doesn't want to kill him in front of Alex.
- How about Karl growin a set and pulling a gun out on Mr. Linus? Loved Ben's response "Kaaaaaarl, If you're sleeping with my daughter I insist you call me Ben!"
- As noted above, Ben gets in Sawyer's head about Kate. Why did Sawyer go with this crew? He's probably absolutely right. Sawyer is a big man on campus on the island. If he went back to the real world, he would never be able to compete with a 1st Class Surgeon in Jack. And the beating of Ben continues!
- We find Charlotte on the island hanging upside down...landing in the water and generally excited to be there. Enter Locke and crew taking Charlotte captive. Charlotte seems genuinely surprised that the 815ers are alive. But we later learn that she's probably lying. Also when she said that it was amazing that Claire had her baby on the island, was she amazed because it's impossible or because she had a baby on an island? Not clear at this juncture!
- Here's something not worth noting but I will....it seemed that Claire got over Charlie pretty quickly. Just the night before Hurley and Claire were in mourning...and now they're just going about their "normal" island life. Ahhh such is life on Lost Island!
- So Ben, so fearful of these freighter folks was able to get himself a gun and shoot Charlotte several times in the chest. Charlotte was very prepared with a bulletproof vest. hmmmmm
- At this Locke was ready to put an end to Ben unless he started dishing out some answers. I couldn't help but laugh when he said "What is the Monster?" because I knew Ben wouldn't dish out the dirt. Of course, what he did say was "I don't know" and he truly may not. I think we'll be waiting awhile on this one!
- Naturally, Ben had already figured out his way to stay alive (as Sawyer indicated earlier). He had information on the Freighter Folk and named them all by name even getting into much detail with their current captive Charlotte Staples Lewis born July 2, 1979 in Essex England and naming her parents. (not sure if their names were worth mentioning).
- Ben noted that they were there for Ben but didn't indicate why. Just stated that they are a BIG BIG THREAT. But how did he know who they were? Because he's got a man on their boat...BOOOOOOOM LOST!
- Woaaa...okay, so who is the man? First person that popped in my head was Richard (because well, he's on CANE now and they need to find an excuse for him not to be on the show for a bit. But Ben told him to take the people to the temple last we saw him. So maybe not Richard). Is George Mincowski (i'm getting closer with the name each time) Ben's Man? He's the guy on the other end of most Sat Phone calls. Surely it's not Mikhail coming back to life for a 4th or 5th time right? The producers clearly said that he is finally dead! I guess in some weird twist it could be this Abbaddon character? Maybe it's someone we haven't met yet. But regardless....very intriguing and abrupt way to end an episode!
Well this may be a failed idea right off the bat. We didn't get any real additional clues to who might be in the coffin. I'm still set on Michael for now. Although all of the comments discussing Kate possibly not being an Oceanic 6er (because she's in hiding for being a fugitive) are definitely interesting....and brings a whole new meaning to "Why would I go to the funeral?" But as the promos indicate, we will learn another member of the Oceanic 6 next week! So, let's just stay tuned here!
Anyway, this episode was very informative and definitely a plot mover. We learned more about the freighter crew in a short timeframe, and got more dirt on Naomi and Abbaddon. But like I said...if the show continues at this pace and each episode ends in that fashion, I sure hope that strike is ending soon with positive Lost news! So, as you all know, next week's episode is on Valentine's Day. Because of the night change, this is 2 years in a row that this has occurred! I will be out of town next week and would just ask everyone to please be patient for the blog as it will probably be running a little later on Friday than usual! In the meantime, everyone post your theories to your little hearts' desires! Can we beat 40+ comments this week? I dunno, that was pretty impressive! See you next week, NAMASTE!
Disclaimer: Many thanks again to Sledgeweb (lost.cubit.net) for always having the ability to capture so many wonderful screen stills from the show! If I had the technology to do it myself, you bet I would! But since I don't, it's nice to know someone out there does!