"The Other Woman" follows Juliet through more of her past and present and tells the tale of of a mischievous, jealous and brilliant OTHER deriving scenarios to get the upper hand and get what he wants. That Ben "always has a plan" doesn't he? Once again Michael Emerson AND Elizabeth Mitchell shine with their fantastic characters. Throw in a little Jack/Kate/Sawyer/Juliet rectangle suspense, yet another HATCH, a threat to kill all islanders, and those crazy "should we trust/not trust" freighter folk and you have yourself a solid show!
We begin our episode with the LOST brains trying to pull a clever one on us. Juliet is meeting with therapist Harper Stanhope (Andrea Roth from Rescue Me) and complaining about being a celebrity. We immediately think "yep, flash forward Juliet is somehow one of the Oceanic 6!" Ahhh those crazy LOST folk! They did try to pull a similar stunt with Juliet's FIRST flashback in "Not in Portland." Turns out we are right on the island and in the barracks shortly after Juliet arrived on the island. This flashback is intended to provide more background on Juliet's relationship to Goodwin (which we saw a glimpse of last season), as well as show a bit more of Ben and Juliet's relationship. Let's dive into the important tidbits from this storyline!
- Most importantly, TOM is seen with a crazy mustache! I really wish I had a screenshot of that! It was fantastic!
- Harper and Goodwin were a married couple on the island and Juliet was the "OTHER WOMAN" (there's #1!)
- Juliet is an OTHER and a WOMAN! (There's #2!)
- We find out Ben had Goodwin working with some chemicals (showing burns on his arm) prior to the crash of flight 815. He stated that with the wrong flick of a switch he could be responsible for killing everyone on the island.
- We find out Ben has a obsessive crush on Juliet and EVERYONE knows about it. This further goes into Tom's "They have history" comment that he told Jack after Jack sliced open Ben's Kidney sack. As upset as Harper is for stalking and getting a peep show on Juliet and Goodwin she is more concerned for Goodwin's life as she thinks their will be consequences if Ben finds out.
- Alright theory time: Harper tells Juliet that it's obvious Ben likes her because "YOU LOOK JUST LIKE HER" Stay with me here, I think I'm about to uncover some juicy mythology! Who is HER? Well, my immediate thoughts go to Ben's only childhood friend Annie whom he still appears affectionate to in the present day (keeping the doll she gave him). We still don't know what happened to Annie. But do you remember the Season 3 episode where Ben tells Jack that Juliet bears the striking resemblance to his Ex-Wife Sarah? (granted, I did not agree with Ben at the time) Would they be throwing these 2 comments into the show and not intend us to tie them together? What if Annie IS Sarah? What would be the repercussions of that? There is still this whole mystery of how on earth Jack FIXED Sarah from that car accident. Last season Ben seemed to be surprised that a Spinal Surgeon fell out of the sky when he found out he had cancer. In this episode, he seemed to brush it aside to show Juliet something else as if he may have already known. We do know Ben is one crazy mastermind. COULD Ben be linked to the plane crashing intentionally? COULD Sarah, Juliet, Ben, Jack all be linked somehow? Or are we just supposed to think Juliet bears a striking resemblance to a lot of people???
- REVISED (forgot to include this): In either case, "You look just like her" refers to a woman important to Ben...making Juliet yet again "THE OTHER WOMAN" (#3!!!!)
- Okay so what else...right...apparently Ben did catch wind of Juliet and Goodwin and when Flight 815 crashes we now find out that Ben sent Goodwin to the tail section in hopes that he would most certainly be killed. They also superimposed Harper into the big OTHERS scene witnessing the crash.
- Then there was that creepy dinner that Ben made for Juliet where she thought it was a dinner party. Emerson played a fantastically pathetic man with a crush! He brings up the whole Ana Lucia thing where Goodwin was trying to make a case for her being an asset. This had been mentioned back in season 2 also I believe.
- To make a long story short Ben brings Juliet to Goodwin's body to show her what he is capable of. He creepily tells Juliet "YOU'RE MINE" and then complains about how much he has gone through to make sure she stays: Yeah, well he brought her flowers, gave her her own house, lied about her sister's cancer (said he would cure it when she probably already was cured), oh right...and had her lover sent to his death by the stick of Ana Lucia. Yeah, they sure have history!
- For all you "Pregnant Women Die on the Island" fans, we are told a little tidbit that apparently it is Immune System related and that it turns on the fetus in the 2nd trimester. But Juliet is uncertain why. It sounded like she was about to tell Ben that she is curious if these woman could carry a pregnancy if conceived OFF island. Which we found out is most certainly true (Claire).
- Juliet refers to watching over some of the tail section kids: Zack and Emma (probably the ones we met in "The other 48 Days" season 2 episode. Ben mentions they were on the LIST (Jacob's list I would guess) and who are they to argue with the list. Now that we're not sure Ben actually talks to Jacob, perhaps they're really on Ben's list?
Bottom Line....the flashback shows us Ben will go to many lengths to ensure that Juliet remains HIS and it still affects Juliet in the present day.
Back at the barracks, more mind games await Locke. The residents are getting worried that their fearless leader does NOT have a plan (told to us by Ben, but seen through Claire wanting to talk to Miles). We see Ben weasel his way out of the basement by supposedly giving Locke his "LAST" pieces of information further giving Locke direction and purpose (which he always needs!). Here's what was uncovered!
- No sense in delaying...Ben's big reveal is that Charles Widmore (yep Penny's Dad and head of the Widmore corporation) is the owner of the Freighter sitting offshore. So, we were right to keep assuming this was the case. And this would make sense since Penny knows about the island (probably researching behind her father's back). Widmore is probably also the man that Ben is hunting down in the future with Sayid. (Also, our previous guess). It's funny, sometimes it's more fun to speculate who the person is than actually getting the answer we were hoping for! But still, the dramatic way Michael Emerson delivered the news to us made it all worth it.
- Comparing Widmore wanting to get to the island to 5000 people flocking to MOLD in the shape of the Virgin Mary in Gainsville, Florida was perfect. John Locke (among others) survived a Plane Crash onto this special island. John Locke was crippled prior and now can walk. Rose was cured from Cancer. How many people would flock to the island to see Mr. Locke? Good question. But does Widmore know about John Locke? Perhaps through Ben's blindfolded man that he interrogated? We also notice Widmore sees the camera. So how did Ben get the tape?
- "Charles Widmore wants to exploit this island and he'll do everything in his power to possess it." Crazy crazy stuff.
- Ben claims he doesn't know how Widmore knows about island. Is it from the Black Rock journal? Or possibly before that? Why would Widmore be interested in the journal in the first place? Is Widmore behind planting the FAKE plane in the Indian Ocean? Or was he behind the expedition team that FOUND the plane while searching for the Black Rock? Many higher powers are at play here and still many many questions to be answered!
- In any case, Ben gives Locke the Widmore File saying it was his only bargaining chip he had left.
- Alas, Locke demands also for the name of his man on the boat. Ben's about to tell us! He tells us we may want to sit down! Here it comes!!!......... NOOOOOOOO Commercial! Conveniently they did not return to give us that answer! But I would guess Locke is now in the know. Would we really want to sit down if it's Michael? Is that really so shocking? Is this tied to the coming attractions for next week that we'll see a face that we thought we'd never see again??? Is that really true for ANY character on LOST? We always anticipate seeing people in some form or another! Well, we'll find out soon enough!
- In other random news - Safe Combo: 36-15-28 I really don't think it means anything but there they are!
- Locke with the 3.2 million comment and giving Ben the dollar was a good time. We still don't know what the 3.2 is about and if it was code from Miles to Ben.
- Locke served Ben Rabbit and Ben asked if it had a number on it before it was cooked. Remember the Bunny with the 8 on it? Remember Ben's Bunny as a child? And if you've seen the Orchid video, remember the possible Time Traveling Bunny? Was Ben concerned for a "concerned-experimental bunny" reason about this bunny? Or just due to sentimental attachments to HIS bunny?
- "If my people still wanted me they would've stormed the barracks" says Ben. Well apparently Ben still has communication with SOME if not ALL of his people. So apparently everything is going according to plan! But does this all somehow tie into what happened at the TEMPEST station? Was THAT according to Ben's plan? I'm a little confused why he'd want to kill everyone on the island! But of course...we're not there yet!
- Also worth noting that the Red Sox tape that Jack watched was taped over with the Widmore Security Camera feed. Significance? Well...I guess it depends how they're getting the videos from the mainland!
Journey to the TempestSpeaking of unrest, it's happening on the beach too. The only 2 KNOWN uninvolved castaways (Jin and Sun) are still questioning Jack's leadership in regards to the Freighter folk. Jin spoke a little more English "YOU....SAID...THAT...THEY....WERE.....FRIENDS" And then we save the rest of their spotlight time for next week! The big news? Charlotte and Dan have disappeared! Jack becomes concerned. Juliet and Jack run after them guns blazin! And then the rain begins. Here's what went down:
- Juliet runs into HARPER (whom we just met in a flashback). Of course, at the time we suspected she might be a ghost of sorts. Harper delivers a message from Ben to Juliet (and eventually Jack) "Dan and Charlotte are on their way to the Tempest and there's a chance everyone will die. KILL THEM at all costs! Love - Ben"
- Harper also mentions that Ben is exactly where he wants to be. As I was saying before, it would seem Ben still has contact with some of the other OTHERS.
- Then the whispering begins again....They look around and Harper is gone! woaaa....was she not really there? Was this WALT-like magic of being 2 places at one time? Or was it the disappearing act that Locke and Cindy have done in the past? That is one crazy Island I'm telling you! But, I don't think that we should be too concerned over that mystery right now! I did wonder if there was a possibility that Harper was DEAD in present day and she was just a ghost-like thing...but Jack saw her and talked to her too. Not that this means anything! Okay okay...I'm rambling! Moving on!!
- We catch up with Dan and Charlotte and they have a map of the island! Where did they get it? Is it possibly from the Black Rock journal? I don't think we've actually seen the SHAPE of the island before have we? We saw the blacklight map in the Hatch but that was more the DHARMA station layout. Whose instructions are Dan/Charlotte following to go to the TEMPEST? Widmore's? Someone else's?
- If you look at the hand drawn map there are lots of Lots of "UNKNOWNS" marked but then letters and numbers to certain points of interest? Lots of scribbles i can't make out. But then there's the DHARMA logo at one place on the map! Does this tie to Charlotte's excitement at seeing the DHARMA logo in Tunisia on the Polar Bear
- Dan is concerned he won't be able to complete his task. Charlotte had faith in him.
- Enter Kate returning from the barracks! She gets suspicious. Charlotte knocks her out. DUM DUM DUUUMMMMM
- We return to Jack and Juliet in pursuit. Juliet asks Jack to trust him
- We find out the Tempest is an Electrical Station that powers the island. (yeah controls poisonous gas! I guess we found out how the DHARMA PURGE went down!)
- I liked the exchange between Juliet and Jack and how Juliet says they all have things in their past they'd rather not talk about. Jack retaliating with Juliet reading his report. Juliet stating "You don't want to read mine!" Ooooh damaged Juliet! Damaged Jack! Love is in the air!!
- But just as things are about to heat up....they find Kate! with a bloody head no less! Jack's attention momentarily leaves Juliet and goes to his one true love! And Juliet takes this opportunity to double time it to the tempest.
- Jack and Kate exchange information about what they've both been up to and then head after Juliet.
- By the way did you know Kate can not only track multiple trails but can tell at what TIME each person walked by? That's pretty impressive Kate! I couldn't help but laugh at the whole "Juliet is a half hour ahead of us" type of comment. (not even sure I got it right!)
- Okay, so Juliet shows up at the TEMPEST station. Pretty crazy place...check it out! 2nd picture has a shot of the logo if you click on it to enlarge. I mean...after the ORCHID, I think there will be plenty of stations on the island. We can stop adding them now guys!!
- So the tale that is told after some immense Charlotte/Juliet cat fighting is that Dan is trying to STOP the gas from killing everyone on the island. And at the last minute he sure does! Feel free to analyze what all of the monitors said!
- My question is...how did they know the gas was being deployed at that particular moment? Is it possible that they started the deployment process only to shut it down as they were getting caught. And possibly that this may have all been intentional to gain the trust of Jack and crew? They stated that they know Ben has used it before and who says he wasn't going to use it again? What exactly did Dan do? Did he stop the attempt to GAS the island for that one time? Or did he permanently stop it? As I said above...I just don't know why Ben would want to kill everyone on the island when HE is one of the people on it! If Juliet killed Dan and Charlotte, everyone would have died. So that just leads me to think that Dan and Charlotte initiated the Gassing in order to shut it down either to intentionally get caught in the act or for some kind of permanent shut down. Am I over thinking this? Did I miss something? Anyone out there...feel free to set me straight! The fact of the matter is, whether they initiated it or not Dan and Charlotte DID save everyone on the island.
- Jack and Kate eventually get there. Kate does not trust anyone. Jack sees Juliet is okay with the situation and since he trusts Juliet, he is calm. While Kate goes in to investigate. Juliet pours her heart out to Jack.
- Juliet says Ben is waging war against the freighter folk and that somehow he got to her to kill Dan And Charlotte. Based on her past experience with Goodwin and the fact that Ben feels Juliet is his Juliet fears for Jack and admits she has feelings for him, which Ben apparently knows also. (Well DUH...you kissed him in the season 3 finale!)
- Of course Jack did tell Kate he loved her in the season finale. But I guess Jack isn't going to wait around for Kate to tell him that she loves him too because he went ahead and kissed Juliet after her big reveal. He also pretty much told Ben to "BRING IT ON!" Jack sure loves those damaged women and trying to FIX situations! And thus, since we know the Jack/Kate saga is far from over we have our #4 shout out to Juliet being "THE OTHER WOMAN."
- Sawyer and Hurley found another game to keep them busy on the island. This time it is HORSESHOES! Nothing like watching Sawyer lose every game he plays against people on the island (poker, ping pong and now horseshoes!) Hurley mentions luck (has his bad luck turned around?). Sawyer and Hurley see Ben with folded clothes heading into a house. "SEE YOU GUYS AT DINNER!" BOOOM LOST!
Yep, Ben was all over this episode tonight. We saw all sides of him from being a jealous murderous stalker, a prisoner gaining freedom, and assigning Juliet to kill his enemies (still baffles me how he would have given a message to Harper. Maybe he never did??) I guess they should've just called this episode "THE MAN" instead!!
Okay, so that's it for this week. Next week we are going to discover a face that we never expected to see again? Who could it be? Well, I wouldn't put it past ABC to overhype the return of Michael even though everyone already knows about it (afterall, even if you didn't find out last summer, his name has been in the credits since the 1st episode this season!) We just don't know WHEN he is coming and HOW. According to the producers we will have our official Oceanic 6 by the end of next week's episode. If we're still uncertain, they will provide a definitive list! Judging by the previews, I think we can kinda render who will be at least ONE of them, and we've been guessing it since the first episode this season. But I'll refrain from saying just in case people would think THAT is a spoiler! (it's hard to figure out what people consider a Spoiler and what people don't these days isn't it? I have my own bizarre method of figuring it out!) Hope you all enjoyed my ramblings. I'm sure this episode won't generate 72 Comments worth of discussion but I'm excited to start discussing anyway! See you next week!