The story continues to move at a rapid pace as we return to our Oceanic 6 who are getting closer and closer to being in the same place (well the same city at least). Kate is trying to figure out who is after Aaron (turns out one of our primary guesses was correct here!), Jack is still helping Sayid at the Hospital, Hurley is in Jail, and Sun is on a "mission!" And well, Ben is in the mix of it all too. On the Island in the past, the majority of our "left behinders" are together (Rose and Bernard still missing) and Charlotte remains unconscious. This one starts off with a Kate Flashback. Let's dive in:
- Kate informs Jack that Claire intended to give Aaron up for adoption, which is why she was headed to Los Angeles in the first place.
- Kate comes up with the story that she could say she was 6 months pregnant on the Island. I just don't know how the police wouldn't have known she was or wasn't pregnant before she got on that plane. At 6 months, you gotta be showing. Can you even fly at that point? Granted, Claire was flying at 8 months so who cares?! It's a TV show!
- Kate mentions that they lost so many people (Jin, Claire, Sawyer, etc...). Jack ensures Kate that Sawyer is not dead. She agrees but states that he is GONE.
- Jack tells Kate that he needs her to back him up when he tries to convince everyone to lie. She tells him that she's always been with him. And of course, we saw in Hurley's flashback that Jack did indeed turn to Kate first and she backed him up.
- Kate has decided to meet with the Lawyers and try to figure out who their Client is.
- Sun volunteers to watch Aaron, she gets a delivery. She gets a file complete with photos of Bearded Jack, Ben and a Hearse (Locke? I thought they put him in the Van?). Oh right, and there's a gun in there. Looks like she's out to get her vengeance on Ben.
- Lots of pictures to look at here and sledgeweb goes into more detail about the papers on if they could have "MORE MEANING." I give up when any details need to be looked into THAT much!
- Kate meets with Dan Norton (Dad on "My So Called Life" or the lawyer we met in the season premiere). Dan won't give up his client's name. He tells Kate that she's going to lose custody of the boy and that she is in no position for deals.
Jack, Sayid & Ben
This subplot continues where we left off in the hospital with Jack and Sayid. Jack is tending to Sayid who was out cold for "42" hours from the equivalent of 3 horse tranquilizers. Jack is catching up Sayid on what's going on.
- Jack explains to Sayid that Ben is on their side. Sayid, having prior experience with the man since they left the Island, can confirm that Ben is only on his OWN side.
- A doctor/nurse interrupts and pulls Jack aside. We find out, as we probably suspected after the season 3 finale, that Jack was suspended from practicing medicine on substance abuse charges.
- Hurley called Jack from the L.A. County Lock-up and asked how Sayid was doing. He told Jack to tell Sayid that he did exactly what he told him to do (opposite of what Ben says to do). You also gotta love seeing Hurley in the Orange jumpsuit!
- Speaking of Ben, then he shows up at the hospital (man, talk about not wasting time!)
- Oh right and then Sayid is attacked while all of this is going on. More tranquilizers involved. Who on earth is attacking them? Since a lot of our assumptions are turning out to be true these days, is it safe to assume that this is Widmore's people? Or perhaps it's Ben's guy too trying to convince Sayid that the only safe place for them is the Island? Naturally, Sayid gets the best of this guy and finds out his next target. 42 Panorama Crest (anyone getting tired of the numbers being dropped everywhere yet? Me either!), Kate's address.
- Jack calls Kate to tell her to get herself and Aaron out of the house. Since they're already out, he finds out where he can meet them. He also finds out that Sun is in Los Angeles too.
- Ben decides to go for Hurley. Sayid holds his stance that he won't let Ben near him. Ben convinces him that they need to get his friends out of trouble and "save the dirty linen for later." Something obviously happened when Sayid was working for Ben that we don't know about just yet. Sayid agrees to go with Ben.
- They decide to rendezvous at the Long Beach Marina Slip "23" (woo hoo numbers!)
- Jack meets Kate downtown. She's happy to see he finally shaved.
- Kate explains the situation with Aaron and the blood test. She sees Dan Norton driving off and she plans on following him. Jack gets in the car.
- They follow him to a motel where we see him supposedly going to his "client." We find out that he is talking to Ms. Littleton, Claire's mother! Woaaaa (well, it would've been a shocker if they didn't show her on the "previously on LOST segment") Naturally, they assume she somehow found about about Aaron. Jack decides that their best bet is to explain to Ms. Littleton what happened. And he said his favorite line besides "live together die alone," which is "I can fix this!" This sends Kate to the waterworks because she misses Jack's fixing abilities!
- Jack goes in to meet Ms. Littleton and while he's coming clean he realizes that she has no idea what he's talking about...so he bolts. Apparently, she was in town because she is suing Oceanic and is there to pick up the settlement. I share in Kate's question, from the same lawyer that is looking into Aaron and Kate's relation? Something is a little shady here. (more in this in a second!)
- Jack convinces Kate to go to the rendezvous point.
- Ben asks why Sayid took it upon himself to rescue Hurley. Sayid had to make sure he was safe.
- They pull into a parking garage, Dan Norton is there! Norton explains to Ben that there is no case against Hurley. The death of the man at Santa Rosa happened before he escaped (yeah but what about the 2 at the safehouse??) There will be a hearing in the morning and then Hurley will be a free man.
- We find out that Dan Norton is Ben's lawyer. And once again, the majority of us assumed that Ben was behind the lawyers coming to Kate's house. I did throw Widmore out there as a possibility too, but Ben just seemed to fit the bill with his comment to Jack in the season 4 finale "perhaps I can help with that" or something like that.
- But the wrinkle they added in that we didn't see coming is that this Norton guy is involved with the Oceanic Settlement for Claire's mom too. So that begs the question, does Ben have some role to play with Oceanic too? Does that mean he DID put the fake flight 815 at the bottom of the Ocean? And is he financially backing these settlements too? It made me start to think about Miles's interaction with Ben last season and his demand for 3.2 Million dollars. "you don't think I know who you are?" Hmmmm who exactly is he? I'm sure we're haven't gotten to the bottom of Ben Linus's story quite yet!
- By the way, Ben's Van "Canton Rainier"? It's an anagram for reincarnation. Hmmm, should we be tying this into anything Locke related?
Oceanic 6 Reunion Minus 1
- Jack explains how Ben is with him and how they're going to help all of the people they left behind.
- Kate realizes that it's Ben that is after Aaron. Ben confirms this and tells Kate that Aaron is not her son. I'm not sure if Ben actually intends to take Aaron from Kate or if he was just using it all as leverage to convince Kate to come with them. I guess it could still be leverage to bring Aaron back to the Island to his actual mother. Which of course, reminds us of the dream Kate had where Claire said "Don't you dare bring him back!" One thing we can't forget though is Ben's obsessiveness (or the Others' obsessiveness) with taking young children and keeping them as their own. Ben took Alex and raised her as his own. They took all of the tail-section children who seemed to be perfectly content living with The Others. (and crazy Cindy who seems to have been part of them all along the way she was acting!) Oh right, and they took Walt. Rogue Ethan stole Claire when he found out the 815ers were on to him, but we found out they had a nursery built at the medical hatch for him. So clearly, Jacob or Ben or Christian had a plan for Aaron. Did they have a plan for Claire too? Is that why she is hanging out in Jacob's shack with Christian these days? And is that why Ben is so determined to convince Kate that she shouldn't be raising Aaron? Even the Ghosts gave Hurley that message to relay to Jack. Seems to be all tied together to me! (like how I rambled on in this bullet until I came to some kind of logical conclusion?)
- The other exciting thing about the scene though is when Sun pulls up to the same place with Aaron in the backseat and we realize we are one person away from a full reunion of the Oceanic 6 (well and Desmond is on his way too!). With gun in hand, she gets out of the car and heads towards her old friends.
I'm going to guess that no one in this scene is going to get shot next week. Things are shaping up pretty nicely to get everyone back to the Island. There's still some convincing to do with Kate, Sun and Hurley though. And we'll have to see if things continue to go smoothly when Desmond, Penny and child show up too. And of course, there's always the possibility that Ben has ulterior motives!
- Charlotte remained unconscious for at least 10 minutes after their last flash and her major nosebleed. People started demanding some answers.
- Dan decided that Juliet would be the best confidant in this information. He seems a little shaky with the information but he describes it that everyone has an Internal Clock (or sense of time), and the flashes are throwing it off. Kind of like really bad jet lag (really Dan? That's the best you can do???) We get more information later.
- Sawyer is completely frustrated in this episode which leads to many quality Sawyer lines. The producers stated in one of their various interviews that they thought as long as they had Sawyer going along for this time travel ride, that the masses wouldn't be turned off from the crazy sci-fi. I love the crazy sci-fi, but man Sawyer cracks me up too!
- Locke explains to Sawyer that they need to return to the Orchid, since that's where all of this craziness started. He explains that Ben was able to leave the Island that way. And he explains his crazy mission to leave the Island and bring back their friends whom Sawyer just assumes are dead. Then of course he mentions he needs to convince them to come back "even if it kills him" almost as a joke, but acknowledging what his mission from Richard is. Man, I wonder if they'll have a Last Supper before he goes on this quest! (get it?)
- Locke continues to try and convince Sawyer by asking him if he wants Kate to come back. Sawyer, remaining in denial says that it doesn't matter what he wants.
- Charlotte wakes up and is disoriented at first not even recognizing Dan. Hmmm was her mind somewhere else for a bit? If it was, she didn't lead on to the fact.
- After Miles makes a lame attempt at a joke (everything is back to normal again! leave the jokes to Sawyer dude), Sawyer storms off towards their beach to grab the zodiac raft and head towards the Orchid. Everyone follows.
- Night falls, Sawyer asks Locke how he's going to convince Kate to come back since she seemed excited to leave the Island. Locke was still formulating his plan.
- Hold the phone everyone, that crazy Hatch Light is lit! We know WHEN they are! We have returned to season 1 on the night Boone died. Of course we also know this as the night that Locke lost faith and banged on the Hatch door and the night Desmond planned on killing himself from losing all faith. And of course Desmond and Locke saved each other when Desmond heard the banging he shone the light up at Locke. Locke thought it was a sign. (granted it took us over a year to get all of that information!) Oh right, it's also the night Claire gave birth to Aaron!
- Locke decides that they shouldn't go towards the light and need to keep moving.
- Locke later explains to Sawyer when they were. He didn't want to run into himself. When Sawyer asks why he didn't go and tell himself to do things differently, Locke tells him what's done is done and he needed that pain. Here's a question, why didn't Locke explain to Sawyer that Desmond turned that light on? I guess it wasn't relevant to the story? I'm sure they're not going with the Time Travel amnesia angle on that one. I just thought it was kinda weird that he omitted that.
- Dan continues to console Charlotte, while we notice Miles gets a nosebleed! uh oh.
- Miles eventually confronts Dan in private about the nosebleeds. We find out a juicy tip that the "sickness" seems to be tied to duration on the Island. Ahhhhh well this would explain Charlotte since we think she was born on the Island. But Miles? Well, we've been tossing around some ideas that Miles has his crazy supernatural sense from his exposure to the Island too. And of course our buddy Pierre Chang (Marvin Candle) had a baby on the Island back in this year's season premiere. It seems safe to assume that Miles is baby Chang! Of course, you have to be careful of your assumptions on LOST!
- Anyway, before a lot of these conversations took place, we hear the infamous "Claire scream." And Sawyer runs to check it out. He gets to witness Kate delivering Aaron. Very sweet moment. Sawyer realizes how much he misses her. Of course, this ties in nicely with the Oceanic 6 portion of the episode with us getting that infamously cheesy (at the time) line of Kate's "This baby is all of ours." I believe I referred to that line last season when we found out Kate was raising Aaron for the first time. Clearly, they wanted us to hear it again!
- Here's my question, Jin and Charlie were hiding behind a few trees or bushes when this all happened too, how did Sawyer not run into them? (I know, there's no mystery here and it was probably a casting thing since Dominic isn't on the show anymore but still!)
- But as Sawyer is enjoying the sweet moment, they Flash again. It's daytime again Sawyer is all choked up. Locke asked who/what he saw and Sawyer continues to be in denial. He asks later acknowledging that they both knew when they were. (see "Locke explains hatch story above")
- Note: Kate and Claire did not notice the flashes, and while we know they were using footage from season 1, this is probably indicating to us that only the ones doing the time jumping are witnessing the flashes.
- Our Left Behinders (thank God someone came up with a term to call these people since they're not all 815 Survivors!) arrive at the beach and the camp is there. But they can tell it's been deserted for awhile. (Sorry, Sawyer - the DHARMA beer is all gone!)
- Sawyer calls out for Rose and Bernard and anyone else that are still around. (at least they acknowledged them!) Locke finds Vincent's leash but no Vincent. Where is everyone? And the Zodiac is gone. hmmmm As they're wondering why their people may have taken the boat somewhere, Miles notices 2 large canoes (Crew Boats? I don't know what they're called!)
- The boats look old, but there is a bottle of water with a new airline label: Ajira Airlines. Well it's only new if you haven't been following along during the off-season with the teasers from the trailer. We've known about the "created for LOST" website since the fall of 2008. Juliet recognizes the brand and informs everyone that Ajira is an airline based out of India but flies all over the world. Is this how the Oceanic 6 get back? Or is it how someone else gets there? Perhaps Charles Widmore? I have some ideas about this which I'll save for the questions section below.
- Gotta love Sawyer asking Juliet if the boats belong to "OTHER OTHERS" She is unaware.
- Locke decides that they need to get moving before these people come back. They all get in one of the boats and start heading towards the Orchid.
- Miles is complaining about all of the rowing and the couple hours it's going to take.
- Sawyer confides in Juliet that he saw Kate. They know it was 2 months ago. "Time Travel is a bitch!" Sawyer rocks.
- The conversation gets interrupted by gun fire. They are being chased in the other boat by these new attackers. As Juliet begins to fire back, they begin to Flash again leading to another great Sawyer line "Thank you Lord!"
- They flash into a major storm which leads to Sawyer screaming "I take that back!" Ahh good times. Wait, so the boat went with them? I know the zodiac went with them in the first episode. I guess when Juliet says whatever you have with you moves with you includes things that weren't necessarily with them the first time they leaped. I guess that makes sense since Locke had the compass. But can you imagine being in the other boat and then just seeing the people and their boat just vanish? Hmmm I guess that boat leaving that time period doesn't mess up any future events. crazy.
- They paddle towards the shore and decide to wait until it gets light to move on.
- Sawyer and Juliet finish their conversation. They have a sweet moment. Sawyer says he close enough to touch her, could've if he wanted to. Juliet asks why didn't he? "What's done is done" (what Locke told him) So is this course correction at work or are they really not trying to interact with their past? For now we'll assume the latter.
- Sawyer notices that Juliet is now getting the nosebleed too. Uh oh. It's all making sense with the duration thing, but they better get moving!
- Charlotte notices some wreckage on the beach and that it looks recent. Locke notices a canister with French text on it! The text says "BESIXDOUZE" which is french for B612. Apparently this is the name of an asteroid in "The Little Prince!" Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out WHEN they are and who these people are! wait for it.....
Viva la France
- It's JIN!!!!!! He's a live! Well, we already kinda figured that as most of us voted that he never died in the first place on our Season 4 finale poll. But still awesome payoff! He was rescued by french people! (I know I'm keeping the bigger payoff for a few bullets as if we didn't know who they were already) I wonder if we'll see how he escaped the freighter. And has he been floating in the water all of this time? It's hard to keep track of how much time has passed from the Time Traveler's perspective. And I wonder if he was still on the freighter when it blew but the Island wouldn't let him die? Remember Tom asked Michael if the bullet bounced off of his skull or if the gun just jammed when he tried to kill himself? Maybe this means that Jin could've been on the boat when it exploded!
- Anyway when they get to the beach, we start hearing some names being dropped. Among them Robert and Mantaun! (shown here respectively)
- Note that we transition from the scene where Sun is about to Kill Ben for Jin's death to Jin being alive and back on the Island.
- Now, I'm sure not everyone recalls hearing those names way back in season 1. But the woman comes up to Jin and determines he speaks a little English. They start asking how he got here. He explains he was here by Boat. Jin doesn't know how long he's been in the water. He explains the boat sank.
- The woman takes off her jacket and we see she's pregnant (okay, is there anyone that hasn't figured it out by this point?)
- Jin introduces himself. And the woman introduces herself as Danielle Rousseau. Woaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Holy crap! I mean, I know I wrote in the blog before that I'm sure our time travelers would run into Rousseau and her crew in the past and that's how we'd get their backstory but WOW! That was awesome! They rescued Jin! How great is that?! And we met Mantaun! You know, Rousseau explains to Sayid how Mantaun lost his arm. I'm not all about gore and violence all of the time, but we need to see that dude lose his arm! What a great 1-2 punch of a payoff with finding out Jin's alive and that we're in the past when Rousseau arrived, still pregnant with Alex! That's fantastic. I'm super psyched for next week's episode!
Okay, before we close up, I have some analytical thoughts from what we saw in this episode.
- Will the oceanic 6 reappear with Locke's corpse as soon as Island Locke gets OFF of the island? Will spinning the Donkey wheel again move the Island to the point in the future where Ms. Hawking is determing it will be in 70 hours? And does that mean Locke gets sent to the future from his perspective, but in the past from the Oceanic 6's current perspective? How crazy will that be that 3 years would pass for them off of the Island but only a few days would've passed on the Island from the Left Behinder's perspective? What if they bring Aaron and Walt with them and they're super big compared to how old they were before? And will Sun bring Ji Yeon with her? How will she? I think Ji Yeon is still in Korea!
- I rewatched a video on youtube with the producers from December and there was a question about the runway that the Others were building. The question was about if they expected something to land there or take off. Their answer said that the runway will be prominently featured in season 5. Hmmm...I wonder if the Ajira Airlines plane lands there at some point in the future when it's complete? And I wonder who is on that plane? Could it be our Oceanic 6 plus Ben and anyone else? Well then who on earth was shooting at them? Additional passengers on the plane? What about Charles Widmore? Maybe he returns to the Island via Ajira Airways and his crew are the ones shooting at them?
- Will people only remain sick while the Oceanic 6 stay away? Why did Rousseau never get sick being on the Island for 16 years? What happened to her crew? We know they got the sickness and Rousseau killed them. But was it tied to traveling via boat to get there like we previously thought? Or did someone from her crew leave the Island that wasn't supposed to which caused them all to get sick? I find it unlikely that someone left the Island. But this all has to tie together somehow. Speaking of which, were Desmond's nosebleeds of similar nature even though he was consciousness time traveling? He had been on the Island for a long duration too. But then how do you explain Minkowski (freighter communications guy) and his nosebleeds and eventual death due to just being in close proximity to the Island via boat? I wonder about all of this because what if Jack and crew return and they all plan to stay there forever. Will they be worried about getting sick or will the Island return to "normal" because they are back? The OTHERS have been there quite some time and don't seem to be affected at all. Lots of random thoughts I know.
- Oh, and do we think seeing Dan way back in the 70's during the building of the Orchid station is tied to their current mission to get to the Orchid station? I'm guessing that would be an affirmitive!
I think I have lots more questions, but we'll leave it at that for now. Awesome episode, can't wait to watch again. Can't wait to discuss! Hope you enjoyed my ramblings and see you next week! (brush up on your French!) NAMASTE!
Thanks again to lost.cubit.net (AKA Sledgeweb) for always providing fantastic screenshots on your site for me to "BORROW!" My blog wouldn't be nearly as exciting without them!