So basically this episode delved a little more into the mystery of the Freighter Folk's REAL objective on the island. Some Locke and Sayid play a chess game with their "hostages" and another member of the Oceanic 6 has been revealed (a correct prediction of mine!). Let's dive into the episode and see if we can sort out all of the craziness! Since the cast was moving around to all different locations, I'm going to break the storyline down into locations and the flash forward. Let's see how that works!
Team Locke arrives at the circle of ash where Locke originally encountered Jacob's house. But guess what? The house ain't there! We know that Hurley saw it in a totally different location and it seemed to be hopping around. What is that all about? This Jacob guy is starting to drive me nuts! Here are a few things to note:
- New Sawyer nickname for Ben: Gizmo (Fantastic! Yoda was pretty good last week too)
- We see Hurley begins to show doubts of his decision to go with Locke. He is not a big fan of being involved in a hostage situation.
- Sawyer talking about torturing Ben to give up the name led to another great exchange (let's start with the big toe and send that piggy to market, then move onto the roast beef!)
- Locke gets scared when Jacob's house isn't there. He doesn't know what to do next. He is still being driven by any directions the island gives him. But he did come up with the hostage situation at the barracks all by himself. And everyone was willing to listen!
- Sawyer states to Kate his intentions of staying on the island. And he questions what Kate wants to go back so badly for? In so many words, Sawyer says he wants to live a happy life on the island with Kate. awwwww just like on Little House? I was just glad Sawyer finally addressed the big question of why Kate wants to leave the island so much with her Jail-bound. Granted, we didn't hear Kate's response, but she definitely didn't go back to Jack afterwards. Apparently, the jail thing IS a big concern for Kate. I'm confused why she was willing to leave then! (and of course, why she eventually does!)
- Loved Hurley's one liner about Miles calling him Tubby "Oh great, the boat sent another Sawyer!"
- Sayid discovers a secret room in Ben's house. Looks like Ben has quite a Jason Bourne thing going on. Lots of passports, and various amounts of currency from all over the world. Ben has been doing some traveling, but why and of course...HOW??
- The passport suggest's Ben's Alias is Dean Moriarity. Here is a wikipedia reference on the name
"Dean Moriarty is one of the protagonists in Jack Kerouac's novel On the Road. Dean grew up in Colorado with a hobo/bum for a father for whom he searches on many occasions. Dean's fanatic personality races from journey to journey and pulls other people along. His various fixations include drugs, women, intellectualism and finally, his father and family life. His marriage and divorce with Camille and Mary Lou and his last affair with Inez are a few examples of his romantic entanglements." Also said that the novel suggests that Moriarity is the great grandson of Sherlock Holmes's rival Professor Moriarity. Sounds like just another literary reference. But the FATHER fixation fits ben.
- Sayid and Ben, as Lockian prisoners, have an interesting discussion prior to Locke arriving. Seemed pretty inconsequential at the time. But may hold more weight after certain other scenes transpired! But loved Ben's "I owe Locke a dollar" line. They are executing their one-liners at great success!
- Like this one too: Ben has a contact on their boat. Sayid "who is it" Ben "it's a secret" hysterical!
- Anyway, Sayid and Locke continue their chess game and end up trading "prisoners." Should be fun to see crazy Miles interacting with Sawyer, Ben, Hurley, Locke and crew.
Jack is pretty much in a holding pattern for most of this episode, giving out orders and remaining behind to hang out with the Freigher guys. He sends Kate with Sayid saying Sawyer won't let anything happen to her. (The irony of Jack getting left behind and Kate enjoying it was a good time. And Jack had some good comebacks also. Ahhh gotta love Jack and Kate scenes. There weren't many of those in season 3!) Jack also disperses Juliet to go get Desmond (in 2 hours) because of the picture Naomi was carrying. What is their real objective? Well the freighter guys are sticking to their story that they didn't know.
- As for them trying to get Ben? Miles says he doesn't know who Ben is, he was told by the people that hired him to find him. Doesn't sound like Miles has any vendetta against Ben. But why was he so fired up about it then last episode?
- Loved when Sayid told Jack he'd like to avoid bloodshed when dealing with Locke referencing Psycho Jack's pulling of the trigger at Locke's head. "That is not good diplomacy!"
- I am a little confused at why it took them so long to ask them about Naomi's relationship to Penny. They all had to have known about the picture before unless Desmond only dished the firt to Charlie, Jin and Hurley. But we always assume eventually everyone gets brought into the loop. Especially when you're bringing a whole crew to a radio tower while keeping some behind to go drown or kill others. Surely, you would bring up how the people on the freighter are within 6 degrees of Desmond? Oh well, it's a TV show right???
- Jack (oops it was Desmond!! )did start questioning Frank and he said that Naomi was ranking officer, they didn't discuss things. I'm still thinking they all had their own mission on the island.
(REVISED SINCE ORIGINAL POSTING) Actually Desmond questioned Frank and when Desmond said "i'm going to ask you one more time...tell me you never heard the name Penelope Widmore" Both Frank and Dan looked at each other with a concerned look....but made no comment. HMMMMMMM interesting!
- Dan conducts experiment with all his crazy gizmos. Before we get into the experiment. How about all of this Mankowski/Regina stuff going on? Frank said "if Mankowski answers...hang up" Dan wanted to talk to Regina. Last episode Miles wanted to talk to Mankowski and NOT Regina. What is going on over there???
- Anyway, Dan asks Regina to fire a payload towards his coordinates. They timed it....Regina kept noting the distance of when it was supposed to get there but it didn't until 31 minutes later. Anyone get a Back to the Future flashback here? You know when Doc sent Einstein (his dog) 1 minute into the future? This had to be an homage to that scene with the clocks side by side and the difference..but at the same time further expanding out understanding of the crazy time elements of this island.
- Dan later warns Frank to head out on the same exact bearing they came in on. Remember when Ben told Michael and Walt to take a specific bearing when they left the island? Based on the experiment, what if somehow both Michael AND Walt aged or went to the future or something? I dunno....so bizarre. Does Island transcend times? Does this tie into Desmond's visions of the future? Yikes...seems like we're finally getting somewhere with that. But not quite yet!
- When Sayid returns with just Charlotte (no Miles and Kate), Frank at first seemed concerned but then noted his disgust for Miles. These 4 people seem to all be there for their own purpose.
- Speaking of which, when heading back to the freighter, Charlotte and Dan decide to stay. They say they have work to do. We know Dan has already begun conducting his experiments on Time. We can only hope that he comes to some resolution with that! And we know Charlotte has a DHARMA/Polar Bear fixation, so we'll see if that heads somewhere!
- Sayid, Desmond, and Frank take Naomi's body and head back to freighter. My big question is...are we ever going to see this freighter??? With things moving so quickly on this show, I guess we may find out soon enough!
- Sayid is one of the Oceanic 6! Can I get a pat on the back please? Thanks! We did not see him linked to Nadia yet as I suspected (since she was in LA in that last Locke flashback we saw), but I guess it's always a possibility in an another Flash Forward at an earlier date? We don't know exactly when this flashforward takes place in relation to the other ones. But it seems like Sayid has been on his current mission for quite some time.
- Sayid mentions he was a recipient of a large settlement from the Oceanic Mess. So this begs the question, did Hurley end up with a large amount of money too even though he didn't want it? Was Kate a benefactor of a large settlement with her past record allowing her to be motivated again to leave the island? Based on the preview for next week, doesn't look like Kate is in hiding! yikes! I'm getting ahead of myself.
- Sayid is taking orders from a mysterious man to kill people on a list. Well, we sure know who likes making lists don't we? Anyway we'll get to that in a bit. Who are these people on the list? The guy at the golf course (Mr. Averdale?? Couldn't make that one out) looked really nervous once Sayid revealed he was an Oceanic 6er. He also seemed to have a lot of money since they were on some private Golf Course. Are they working their way to a Charles Widmore perhaps???
- Sayid is seen wooing a woman in Berlin the rest of the episode, Elsa. Perhaps a shout-out to the German woman from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade? (new teaser trailer is available for Indy 4 btw. Check yahoo!) Sayid is working to get to Elsa's boss (a supposed "Economist" working in emerging markets) but falls for her. Elsa turned out to be working Sayid from their "chance" meeting as well and gets a shot out on him. Sayid survives the shootout but kills Elsa. So was he really going for Elsa's boss or was Elsa the target? I'm thinking he failed his mission to get to her boss. Which again, I ask....Charles Widmore? Who knows? But Sayid's mysterious boss sure wants him dead!
- Elsa was wearing a bracelet that looked very similar to the one that Naomi's corpse was wearing, which had the following inscription "I will always be with you - R.G." So here's a question, were Elsa and Naomi working for the same man? Is Elsa actually wearing Naomi's bracelet? Do we know anyone with the initials R.G.?? It's a good thing lots of people read this thing now, so you can all post comments on your theories! I'm drawing a blank!:
- We see a wounded Sayid walk into some kind of Kennel/Vet/Animal testing establishment. It is revealed to us that none other than LIST LOVING Ben is the mastermind. woaaaa. Looks like Ben WILL be able to fix his current imprisonment on the island. So the question is, when did Ben learn how to remove bullets? Who are they working to kill? Is it for the benefit of the Oceanic 815ers as well as the island? Pretty crazy stuff!
- Ben discusses with Sayid not to let woman could his judgment. "These people don't deserve our sympathies" Are we still talking about the same people that are behind the Freighter operations? Elsa wanted to know who Sayid worked for. Are they still trying to get to Ben? What on earth is that Island and what on earth is Ben protecting on it????
- Ben also mentions that Sayid has let love of a woman cloud his judgement before. Sayid mentions that Ben used her to recruit him to killing for her. Who was he referring to? Obviously, something we haven't seen yet. Could it be Nadia? Maybe not, sounds like something that happened on the island (of course, Ben knows how to bring people ONTO the island...see Locke's Dad). Perhaps it's a woman on the freighter since that's where Sayid is going next? or maybe Charlotte? Someone else? Who knows? Turns out Sayid is quite the Iraqi Ladies' Man! Why would Ben turn Sayid into a killing machine, he mentions it's to protect his friends? But Ben sure does love protecting that crazy island. Ahhh the mysteries of LOST!
- Ben states to Sayid that he has another name for him. Sayid states now that he killed Elsa they know he's after them now. Ben creepily says "GOOOOOOD!" Boom....LOST!