So, "WHAT KATE DOES" is a play on words of the season 2 Kate-centric episode "What Kate Did". In that episode we learned what Kate did to end up in the hand-cuffs and on the run. She had murdered her step-father by blowing up his house. Of course, Wayne turned out to be her ACTUAL father which is what ended up motivating her to kill him. Of course, if any of you saw the Comic-Con video from this year, in the FLASH SIDEWAYS world (that's what Team LOST is officially calling them), Kate is accused of blowing up a building that included Wayne's plumbing company. But Wayne was not there. Instead, his apprentice, Ryan Milner was killed in the explosion. Of course, this is a FLASH SIDEWAYS and Kate is claiming to be innocent by the end of the episode. Perhaps, she was set up and needs to clear her name (Fugitive Style)? We will get to all of that though!
So, there are 3 storylines we essentially follow in this episode. Sayid has woken up from a deathly slumber and not all is right in the state of TEMPLE LAND. Jack has to make a big decision and the fate of resurrected Sayid hangs in the balance. Sawyer, still mourning the loss of Juliet, runs off and Kate/Jin are tasked with a couple Others to bring him back. Not all goes according to plan! And of course, we had the Flash Sideways that continued to follow Kate as she hijacked a cab with Claire in it. Interesting stuff folks!
Kate's Flash Sideways
Kate's Escape from the AirportWe start Kate's "sideways" storyline exactly where it left off. She gets in the cab trying to avoid the air marshal (Edward). The dude from Heroes is the cab driver and Claire is the passenger (really wish I didn't know that Heroes tidbit!). Obviously, she gets away. Claire is all scared and stuff, and the cab driver jumps out of the car. Here's a few things to note from the getaway.
- Arzt makes another cameo, and we just can't get enough of that guy right? This time the driver almost hits him with the cab while he's being held at gunpoint. Arzt's luggage eventually gets run over. Poor dude. But at least he might not blow up in this timeline. Well, maybe he does!
- Kate sees Jack on his cell phone and it looks like she, like Jack last week, has a sort of deja vu moment. Jack seems to look at her too. Now, they did run into each other on the plane. But, this didn't seem to be a coincidence. It happens later on in this storyline as well. So now both Jack and Kate are having recollections of a prior timeline. Will it lead anywhere? Well, one would hope so, right?
- Kate takes Claire's purse and runs off with the cab (kicking Claire to the side of the road).
- Claire is still pregnant in sideways land. Yeah, pretty obvious but it wasn't at the end of last week. And many were speculating why we only saw her from the neck up.
Kate gets Handcuffs Off
In one of the most gripping scenes of LOST ever we get an entire scene dedicated to Kate ditching the cuffs at an auto shop. (Definitely kidding about the gripping part) Here's what went down.
- Kate runs into random auto mechanic guy. I'm sure all of us figured it would be someone significant. And hey, maybe it and we just don't know it yet.
- Long story short, she gets the cuffs off and the guy asks what she's on the run for? Kate says murder. She asks for a place to get changed and the guy laughs and points her in the right direction. So bizarre, right? I just figured Kate would go to the bathroom and the dude would call the cops. But, I guess either Kate has some kind of charm with guys or he was just trying to be helpful. Very random scene either way!
- Oh and she offers him $200 for the help. Did she ever pay him? I'm getting ahead of myself but she tells Claire she didn't take her money. Yeah, not on the top of my list of mysteries to be resolved, but still. Huh?
- Kate starts going through Claire's purse. She finds some onesies, a polaroid of pregnant Claire, and a stuffed whale. I know when I saw the whale I thought it looked familiar. I couldn't place it. Well, I did some searching and yes, this is the same whale that Aaron was clutching to in "Something Nice Back Home" when Jack yelled at Kate saying "you're not even related to him!!!" So what does that mean? Well, Kate probably bought the whale in the other timeline, and Claire bought it in this one. Aaron was meant to have that stuffed whale? Kate and Claire's paths were meant to intersect?
Kate and Claire - together again
Kate shows that she's not just a cold-blooded killer on the run and heads back to where she kicked Claire out of the car. Claire is just sitting there, waiting for a bus or something.
- Kate asks Claire where she was going. Claire says she was going to give up her baby to some parents in Los Angeles. So, of course, the question is was the psychic Malkin involved again in this case? He was so determined that she be on flight 815. Either way, in both timelines, there were prospective parents in Los Angeles. But, the parents didn't show up to pick up Claire as they said they would. Kate offers a ride to Claire which she eventually accepts. And they're off to Brentwood, California!
- When they get there Claire notes that the neighborhood is beautiful. Kate is hesitant to say anything, but Claire assumes that she thinks the adoptive parents didn't show up on purpose. Claire asks Kate to come in with her. Kate does accept.
- A woman answers the door crying and then apologizes to Claire. Her husband left her and as much as she wants a baby she cannot do it on her own. Claire is upset, Kate yells at her "she flew all the way from Australia!!" blah blah blah......oh wait! Claire is getting contractions!
- So, once again, just like Kate delivered Claire's baby in the Island timeline, it looks like she is going to be directly involved in Claire's delivery this time. Or is she?
- They get her to the hospital. Kate sees cops and heads into the hospital to avoid them. You'll never guess who ends up being Claire's doctor.
- Yes, it's Dr. Ethan Goodspeed! (not Ethan ROM as he was on the Island after he became one of THE OTHERS) This is the son of Horace and Amy Goodspeed. He must have gotten off the island before Jughead blew in this timeline? Maybe during the evacuation that Chang ordered? In any case, Ethan seems to be a pleasant doctor in this timeline, never corrupted by Ben Linus and The Others.
- Ethan tells Claire they could induce labor now or calm things down, but he doesn't want to needlessly stick needles in her. Pretty funny if you remember Ethan giving Claire the vaccine and other drugs on the Island.
- Claire tells Ethan that she doesn't want to have the baby now. That she isn't ready. So, they begin to start calming her down. But then the baby's monitor flatlines! Oh boy. Claire starts freaking out and in the heat of the moment she asks "What's happening to my babeh?? Is Aaron okay??". Claire had never said the name before in this timeline. Of course, when she named him in the other timeline, she was asking Charlie to save him from crazy Rousseau (ahhh isn't THAT ironic? more on that later).
- Kate seemed to recognize the name when Claire said it. Another deja vu moment from another life brotha?
- Aaron turns out being okay, but the experience seemed to bond Claire and her unborn child. Just like in the other timeline, she grew attached to Aaron and could never dream of giving him away. Claire seems destined to raise Aaron in both timelines. Just like the psychic dude had told her in season 1's "Raised by Another". What is so special about this kid that ends up loving juice boxes years later and also likes running off with people that have hair like his mother!? I'm sure we all would like to know!
- Time passes and we catch Claire looking at an ultrasound picture. We might want to note that the date on the picture says 10-22-04 instead of 9-22-04 the original Flight 815 date. Surely, the writers or prop guys wouldn't mess up an important detail like that, right? Is there any significance in the flight being a month later? Ethan did say that Claire was 36 weeks pregnant which is 9 months. She was only 8 months pregnant in season 1. That's 2 details indicating that it is indeed October. Oh well, let's just note it for now and see if anything comes from it!
- A Detective comes in looking for Kate but calls her Joan Heart (or Hart), which is how Kate signed in at the hospital. I looked up any significance to the name and all I got was Melissa Joan Hart! That's the key to LOST folks! Eventually our mysteries will be answered when Clarissa Explains it All!
- Claire covers for Kate, who is in the other room. The detectives lead and Kate/Claire start endlessly thanking each other. Kate loves the name Aaron. Claire says that she didn't know why she said it, it was like she just knew it. Ahhhh very interesting. Kate gives Claire advice to keep the baby.
- Claire gives Kate her credit card. Will this tie the 2 together down the line again?
- Oh right, and Claire asks why the cops are after her. Kate claims to be innocent which Claire believes. Hmmm, so we got that America's Most Wanted story at Comic-Con, but maybe in this storyline, Kate IS really just trying to clear her name (like I mentioned above). Maybe she really didn't kill anyone. Of course, then who did kill the guy, and are we really going to spend more time on Kate's sideways storyline to find out? Hey, one would hope if they're introducing questions in the final season, that they have a plan to answer them!
Sayid's Awake/Sawyer's Exit
We continue this storyline right where we left off. We see Lennon wandering the halls of the Temple (showing that there is more to this place than just a healing spring). He gets to the Japanese Guy (who reveals himself later to be Dogen). Dogen is in front of a typewriter. Random thing to have in this Temple isn't it? Lennon mentions that Jarrah is alive. Dogen looks concerned. Meanwhile, back in the Fountain/Spring room, Jack and crew huddle around Sayid.
- Everyone is excited Sayid is okay. Sayid is still confused by what is going on. He wonders what happened to him. Jack tells Sayid that he died. And we all know that on the Island, Dead is Dead! Well, I guess, except in this case. Let's continue diving in.
Kate and Sawyer have a side discussion. Kate doesn't believe that Sayid can possibly be alive. Sawyer is upset that Sayid - the torturer/child shooter - gets another shot at living while Juliet died. Okay, I know we need Sawyer to go through his mourning period. And we all know that Claire's mourning of Charlie didn't last quite long enough. But, Sawyer better get a pep in his step soon!
Sawyer tells Kate he doesn't like being held hostage and he's planning to get out of there. He asks Kate how many guards there are. Very similar to Sawyer scoping out the Hydra Island when they were locked in the cages.
Jack and Jin help Sayid outside. Sayid asks about who these people are. Hurley fills him in that it's The Others, that they caught them and that he think they're trying to help.
Miles gets in a great crack about Hurley assuming the leadership position of the crew.
Jack notes that Sayid's wound is almost completely closed. That crazy healing spring!
- Okay, I'm going to go ahead and say it. Sayid acts like a big wuss the whole episode! I know he had just been shot but the man was a torturer. He just whines and thanks Jack for saving his life and really pathetic way. That's the last I'll complain about it, but it kinda got annoying!
- Dogen and Lennon come out and request that Sayid come with them. Naturally, Jack is having none of it. He wants answers to what is going on and why they are being held. Lennon says they will be provided after they meet with Sayid. Jack still doesn't buy it and the fighting starts. Everyone's getting all riled up until Sawyer fires a gun in the air. (why? why wouldn't he just sneak out while everyone was occupied? Because that wouldn't be good TV, duh!)
Lennon immediately tells all of the Others to lower their weapons and promises they won't hurt Sayid. It seems that whatever was on Jacob's letter, it stated it is very important that these people stay alive. Sawyer doesn't care about Sayid or anyone and says he is leaving. Dogen breaks out of his Japanese to tell Sawyer he must stay. Sawyer, bluntly, responds "No I don't". He takes down the barricade on the door and leaves. But not before he looks at Kate and says "Don't come after me."
Naturally, when Lennon states the importance of Sawyer returning, Kate is first on board to go and get him. She talks about how she can be very convincing when she wants to be. Really?? I thought Kate just hung around and cried and hopped back and forth into Jack and Sawyer's good graces? I'm sure it was just a segueway into her Flash Sideways where she convinced the random guy to take off her cuffs. But, the line seemed a bit out of character for Kate. Jin offers to go with Kate. Finally, he's not just sitting around. He wants to go find his wife!
Kate and Jack have a scene before she leaves. Jack semi-offers to go but he knows that Sawyer really wouldn't want to see him right now. Then the ultimate cheese line is provided by Kate, "I'll take care of James, you take care of Sayid." Jack and Kate have their longing moment where he tells her to be careful. And then he's like "Don't you know I blew up the Island for you?! Now you're going after Sawyer?!" Okay, he didn't say that but you could read it in his eyes!
And with that Kate, Jin and a couple of others head off.
Okay, so Dogen and Lennon get their way and bring Sayid into some crazy room. We find out that they were testing him for something. But the things involved in this test were forms of torture. Ironic, because Sayid has tortured so many.
- There was the ash or black powder that Dogen blew on top of Sayid's chest. Huh? (Yes Sayid kept whiningly asking "why are you doing this to me? What is that?" So out of character again!)
- There was the wiring up Sayid and electrocuting him.
- And then we must not forget the hot iron that Dogen placed on Sayid's chest. Check out Sayid's face on this one!
- Sayid asks why they're doing this to him. And Lennon tells him it was a test and that he passed. Once Sayid leaves the room we find out that he certainly did NOT pass. I guess you're all wondering what black powder (or the ash), electrocution, and a hot iron have to do with testing Sayid for internal demons, right? Yep, so am I!
Sayid is brought out back into the spring room. He whiningly tells them that he was tortured.
- Star Wars fans will be quick to note that Sayid quoted Han Solo (from the Empire Strikes Back) when he said "they didn't ask me any questions." Not sure if it was intentional or not, but I like to think intentional.
- Jack gets all Hero-like and barges towards the guards. "Step aside!!" And they do. Pretty funny that they would just do that until we find out Lennon and Dogen wanted him to come in. You go Jack!
- Dogen says something in Japanese about Sayid, and Lennon translates saying that the closest translation would be that he's "infected". Hmmm I know what you're all thinking. The sickness! Rousseau's crew got sick in the caves near the temple. Did the same thing happen when Sayid was put in the dirty spring? Of course, more details are revealed later that make me think something differently. But we'll get there.
- Jack says that Sayid isn't running a fever to which Dogen laughs.
- We see Dogen mixing up something into a pill and then he gives it to Jack. They tell him that Sayid must take the pill and Jack has to give it to him. Jack asks why they won't do it himself. Lennon explains that the pill must be taken willingly or it won't work. WHAT? Maybe I'm new to medicine, but I think it works whether someone forces it down your throat or if you take it yourself. Now, this is some magic pill that needs to be taken willingly? What kind of infection is this?
- Jack refuses to give Sayid the pill until he knows what is in it. Dogen speaks in English asking if Jack was responsible for any deaths or injuries on the Island while people were helping him. Jack says yes. Dogen says that this is his chance to redeem himself. If Sayid doesn't take the medicine the infection will spread.
- Meanwhile Hurley and Miles are talking to Sayid. Miles is questioning Sayid on if he saw a white light or angels singing. Sayid says that all he remembers is being shot. Is this similar to Ben where he forgot most of the event that caused him to go into the spring?
- Hurley, in a nod to the producers who always joked that Season 7 would be "Zombie Season" of LOST, asks if Sayid is a Zombie. To this Sayid says no.
- I love that when Jack comes out to talk to Sayid, Hurley wants to bolt to not get recruited for something he doesn't understand. But Miles had the classic line "We'll be in the Food Court if you need us." Ahh good times.
- Sayid and Jack have a very cheesy heart to heart. Jack talks about how he didn't save Sayid, that The Others did. Sayid says that he'll take the pill if Jack wants him to because he trusts HIM not THEM. Awwwww Maybe Jack doesn't need Kate in his life after all!
- Jack returns to Dogen who is staring at a baseball. Hmm, maybe Dogen ended up on the Island when flying to one of his major league games one time? Surely, there is a significance to the baseball. More than just Dogen telling Jack that it's a baseball to get a laugh.
- Jack sits down to have a heart to heart with Dogen. Jack asks about the english and the translator. Dogen says that having the translator is to remain separate from the people he is in charge of. It makes it easier when he has to make decisions that they don't like.
- To this Jack asks who Dogen is. Dogen says that he was brought to the Island just like everyone else. He suggests that Jack knows exactly what he means. I reflected right back to the conversation between Jacob and the Man in Black as the supposed Black Rock was arriving to the Island. MIB says "I don't have to ask. You brought them here." It would seem like Jacob is the one meddling with these people's lives and recruiting them for the Island. It would seem that Jacob's touch has something to do with it too. But we definitely need more information!
- We find out that Jack didn't give Sayid the pill because he still wants to know what it is. So, hero Jack decides to swallow the pill himself which forces Dogen into action. He runs over and hits Jack and tries to get him to cough the pill back up. He succeeds. Jack asks what the pill is. And....dum dum dummmmm....It's POISON!
Operation: Retrieve Sawyer
Kate, Jin and a Couple Others
Meanwhile, there is lots of chatter as Kate tries to track down Sawyer. Aldo, one of the others you may recognize, seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Justin, seems to be a friendly OTHER who wants to side with the LOSTIES.
- That's right. Do you guys remember Aldo? First off, it's Rob McElhenney from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. But you may also recognize him from his cameo as Aldo the Other in season 3 who fell for the ol' Prisoner Wookie Exchange at Room 23. This is when Saywer and Kate were escaping from Hydra Island but had to free Alex's boyfriend Karl first. Kate hit Aldo over the head with the rifle and he still holds a grudge over it!
- But before we get to that, Jin asks about the Ajira flight. Aldo is not being cooperative. Justin starts to talk about the 2nd plane landing. This ties in to Cindy knowing that there was another plane that came to the Island after Flight 815. Aldo tells Justin to shut up.
- Then of course, Kate recognizes the Dummy Trail and Aldo doesn't believe her. Justin again agrees with Kate.
- They also ran into some traps that look like things Rousseau set up. Justin starts saying that Rousseau has been dead for years and that it must be.....Aldo again tells him to shut up.
- And then Aldo starts complaining about the Season 3 encounter. Kate takes advantage of the situation and beats on Aldo again. The trap is sprung and Justin gets knocked out too, leaving Jin and Kate free to do what they want.
- We find out Kate has no intentions of going back to the temple with Sawyer. She doesn't want to be held captive either. (She wants to find Claire is what she wants to do!) Jin doesn't really want any part of Kate's mission to find Sawyer and then just whine all day and night for eternity with him. He wants to find Sun. He asks Kate where the Ajira plane landed. Okay, WHAT? Are you telling me that Jack and crew never explained to Jin that they were on the plane one moment, and then they woke up in 1977? Why would he ask this question?
- Regardless...it seems that Kate and Jin part ways here.
Kate tracks Sawyer all the way to good ol' DHARMAVILLE, which in the later years became Othersville or New Otherton. Kate goes to what used to be Sawyer's house in the 70's and Sawyer is seen pulling up the floor and grabbing a shoebox. It looks like Kate is about to walk away but Sawyer hears a noise and pulls out his gun.
- Kate: "I was worried about you!!!!" Sawyer just walks away. Ahh exciting.
- We next see Kate finding Sawyer at the dock.
- Kate starts apologizing for everything. She apologizes for following Sawyer against his wishes. Sawyer, seeing a hint of his humor back, says "Which time?"
- Then she apologizes for convincing him and Juliet to get off the sub and stop Jack. But Sawyer takes the blame for the whole Juliet thing himself. It was at that very doc in 1974 that Juliet wanted to leave the Island. And Sawyer convinced her to stay so he wouldn't be alone. Yeah, that's all true and everything, but it was 1974!!! What would she have had to go back to in the real world?
- We also find out that Sawyer was going to propose to Juliet. The ring was what was in the shoebox. But now he realizes some people are just meant to be alone. This is one broken man! He throws the ring into the water.
- Kate tells Sawyer that she came back to the Island to get Claire, get her off the Island and bring her to Aaron. That maybe it would all be worth it if she could do that. She wanted to recruit Sawyer for help. Doesn't seem like he's very interested!
- Later on, we see Kate hanging out near the barracks. Sawyer walks by, into his house and then closes the door. He wants nothing to do with anyone. And it looks like Kate is going to leave without him.
Dogen and Jack at the Temple
Lennon and Dogen offer Jack some Tea to which Jack laughs. Jack wants to know why they wanted to kill Sayid.
- Dogen tells Jack that they believe he has been "something in Japanese". Lennon says the closest translation is "CLAIMED" Hmmmm what?
- Dogen says there is a darkness growing in him. Once it reaches his heart, everything they know about Sayid will be gone. Jack asks how they can be sure. Because the same thing happened to his sister! Woaaaaa
- So wait, what? Before we get into the final moment of the episode, let's pause. Back in season 4, the freighter crew fires a rocket at Claire's house. Sawyer runs in after her. She is unconscious then seemingly wakes up asking for Charlie. (awwww) Claire tells them all when she gets to Ben's house that "I'll live" and Miles says "I wouldn't be too sure about that." Miles, Claire and Sawyer later are on their way back to the LOSTIES Camp and Miles keeps staring at Claire. We know he has a knack for feeling things with dead people. Sawyer gives Miles a restraining order and we look at it as a big joke until we start piecing things together later. Christian Shephard, in his new garb (no suit and sneakers) is hanging out with Aaron and then takes Claire away. The next time we see Claire she is in Jacob's Cabin where Christian says he can speak for Jacob. But now, with the whole circle of ash thing, we're suspecting that maybe MIB took over or was trapped in the cabin at some point. (see endless debate in the Season premiere blog comments) But Claire is there, and Shephard says that Locke shouldn't tell anyone he saw her there because it would be too confusing. Fast forward to last week when Miles was staring at a Dead Sayid in a similar way that he stared at Claire. And we all say....HUH? Was Claire brought to the Temple? Or did the dirty water CLAIM Sayid similar to how maybe Christian Shephard, MIB or Jacob claimed Claire? It would seem that Jacob didn't claim claire, so we have to assume it's the Man in Black/Smoke Monster/Possibly Christian Shephard entity. So what does "CLAIMING" mean? Well, I have no idea. Were Rousseau's crew under the same spell? Or possibly, was ROUSSEAU herself under the same spell? We will tackle that question after we examine the final scene.
Jin is wandering through the jungle alone until he runs back into a very unhappy Aldo and Justin. Aldo is all flipping out and everything. Jin tells them that he was going back to the Temple. Was he really? Doubtful.
- Jin makes a run for it and gets caught in another one of these crazy traps. This makes Aldo laugh quite a bit. And then he's about to shoot him. Justin tells Aldo that they need them all alive. Ahh Jacob how you confuse us with your lists and plans!
- Aldo doesn't care, but before he can shoot, Aldo himself gets shot and killed. Justin gets shot as well, but it's tough to say if he was killed.
- I think at this point, we all knew who the mystery shooter was. Yep, everyone welcome back Miss Claire Littleton to LOST. But she sure is looking a lot different these days! Jin sees her, makes a face and says, "Claire?"
Say what you want about the slow and cheesy episode, I still say WOW! LOST still knows how to deliver a solid cliffhanger and make us want more! Woaa, so Claire has a darkness in her? She has been setting traps up around the Island like crazy Rousseau did? Hmmm, maybe Rousseau was the sick one and her crew wasn't? She did steal Aaron that one time. But by season 3/4 she seemed to be getting a little more normal. So what gives? Is there any saving of Claire in the timeline we all know or is she only going to be okay in the Flash Sideways land? Or will the 2 Claires intersect at some point helping return her to her normal self? Same with Sayid? Wow, lots of questions. All of it sounds ridiculous to type out. But, a lot of LOST does, right?
So, not much to analyze in this episode I don't think but I think we all still have tons to speculate from last week combined with this week. So carry on with your awesome comments everyone! I think people who want strong mythology episodes will be more interested in next week's episode. I would tell you whose centric episode it is and what the name of it is, but I fear I would be spoiling. So, let me say this. If you remember what order people had Centric episodes in the beginning of season 1, then for the first 6 hours, it's going to be exactly the same. Charlie's was 7th, so that won't be happening!
Anyway, that's all I have to say for this week. Hope you enjoyed my ramblings as always and I will see you next week! NAMASTE!!!
- Check out Cafe Press's vast collection of LOST Merchandise - There are clothes and other exciting things. Some designed by fans, and some can even be designed by you if you want. Check out the site and stay tuned because we may have some exciting free give away contests. Make sure you follow me on Twitter too because I may run the contests from there.
- Cafe Press also has a "Create your Own LOST T-Shirt Design" contest going on with prizes including a "We Have to Go Back" T-Shirt signed by the Season 6 CAST not to mention a grand prize of a trip for 2 to Hawaii!!! I'm no artist, but maybe some of you are. Check it out!
- Follow me for updates and other LOST related stuff here! @LOSTAddictsBlog
Please Click to Support:
- I took a night job to pay some extra bills writing for http://www.gather.com/. If you could, please click to view this LOST Recap on Gather to register me a page view. It will go towards a very small financial contribution for my efforts. Also, feel free to check out my other articles on the site.
And of course Check out my other Blogs!
- FlashForward (returning in March): http://www.flashforwardaddicts.com/
- American Idol (could be my last season recapping): http://www.aiaddicts208.blogspot.com/
Special Thanks to Dark UFO for the excellent Screen Captures!