By the way, anyone who conjured up the idea that Daniel and Penny may be siblings/step-siblings back in episode 3 of this season? KUDOS kids KUDOS! But we'll get there in a bit.
The synopsis! Daniel is back via the sub in 1977 with the SWAN STATION team and clearly on a mission. Throughout the episode, we get snippets from Daniel's past leading him to the point where he is in HIS present in 1977. Meanwhile, all hell is breaking loose in DHARMAVILLE with the help of Daniel causing a mess and Sawyer trying to cover up the tracks of the BEN-Napping! We get an update on Desmond's condition and lots to ponder about the Widmores and Hawkings! Let's dive in shall we?
The Faraday Flashbacks
A basic theme is set before us throughout Daniel's flashbacks. From early in life we see a genius boy being sent down a pre-destined path by his mother. Eloise seemed to know everything that would happen to him.
- We see child Daniel playing a complicated piece of classical music on the piano. We learn that he is a boy genius. He counted the beats of the metronome to 864. For anyone that cares, this is 108 (the sum of 4 8 15 16 23 42 and which also is the timer on the Swan Clock) * 8 (one of the numbers as well). I'm sure that was intentional but just a silly easter egg!
- Eloise seems determined to get Daniel to focus on science and mathematics and that he does not have "TIME" to focus on science and music.
- It is important to note that Eloise was crying before she broke this news to Daniel. Based on the rest of the episode's events, it would seem that she was almost reluctant to send Daniel down this path but that she knew she HAD to do it.
- Years later we see Daniel graduating from Oxford and dating future vegetable (courtesy of Daniel's experiments) Theresa. Eloise is there again to cause problems for Daniel. She takes Daniel to lunch and declares that all of the women in Daniel's life will be terribly hurt. (Charlotte, Theresa). His work comes first.
- Daniel, not knowing that Eloise has already experienced Daniel's future, complains that she keeps pushing him down this path. He is the youngest doctor to ever graduate from Oxford and he also was awarded a 1.5 Million Pound research grant from none other than Charles Widmore. At hearing the latter part Eloise seemed to change her tune, leaves Daniel a gift and wishes him luck.
- The gift is none other than the JOURNAL that Daniel has had with him ever since. The journal that documents all of the details and blueprints to create the FLUX CAPACITOR! (just kidding...it's his Time Travel Journal!) Eloise wrote a note on the first page of the journal "No Matter what remember, I will always love you" 2 things stand out here to me. The word "REMEMBER" and the "I love you" part. Again Eloise seems reluctant to send him down this path but has no choice. And the REMEMBER, as we will begin to see, Daniel's experiments will lead to some memory loss.
- Remember that flashback scene of Daniel we got in season 4 "CONFIRMED DEAD" when he was watching video of the fake Oceanic 815 wreckage? Remember Daniel was crying uncontrollably and didn't know why? Well, that's where our next flashback scene takes place! And due to them splicing last year's scene with this year's, we see Daniel grow a whole bunch of hair in a matter of seconds!
- The folks at Sledgeweb found this easter egg during the scene. An issue of WIRED from August 2003 with the headline "THE IMPOSSIBLE GETS REAL" and mentionings of Super Powers and Time Travel. Again, I see no significance beyond the fact that when we're talking Daniel Faraday, we're talking time travel!
- Charles Widmore came to visit Daniel that very moment after he learned of the flight being found. Daniel and Charles had never met (supposedly) before this point. But we learn that Daniel has a condition that affects his memory. He cannot remember things from day to day. It seems that he may have zapped himself with that crazy purple time travel laser he zapped Eloise the hamster with in the Constant. He claims to have tested it on himself before he used it on Theresa (which put her in the vegetative state).
- Daniel can't seem to get his mind off of the crash. He is so sad that all of the people are dead. Charles ends up unveiling to Daniel that the passengers are not dead and that what is on the news is all part of an elaborate and expensive cover-up. And we finally certifiably learn that Charles Widmore was the one that planted the fake plane. Perhaps we should have confirmed it after Miles getting information from the dead guy, or should have believed it from the clip show narrator last week. But now we have it straight from Charles's mouth. Why did he tell Daniel? Because he'll never remember.
- Charles wants to recruit Daniel to go to the Island where the 815ers are. It's a special island with unique scientific properties and it will HEAL Daniel. (flashback to last season with Charlotte quizzing Daniel with flash cards).
- Later, supposedly that same day Eloise returns to visit Daniel saying she would have called but he would have forgotten by the time she got there. (yikes) Eloise tries to convince Daniel to take the job.
- We learn that Widmore's task for Daniel was to perform Space-Time calibrations and calculate bearings (the same bearings that we saw him telling Frank to stick to to travel back and forth from the island)
- Daniel agrees to go to the island because Eloise says it will make her proud.
- Speaking of memory loss, didn't Charlotte start losing her memory on the island during the flashes too? Something about her mother's maiden name I recall. Once again we see how the island HEALS some while it hurts others. (Jack getting sick, Charlotte and all of the other time jumpers and their nosebleeds, Ben and the tumor, etc...)
2007 - Off Island
These little snippets were kinda just placed into this episode even though they were not directly related to Daniel's story from his perspective. But they were still essential to his story. When we last left Desmond and Penny in Ben's flashback, Desmond had been shot by Ben yet he still had the strength to beat Ben to a bloody pulp and throw him into the water. Well, it looks like Desmond still had an injury that needed to be dealt with. Penny and 2-year old son Charlie brought Desmond to a hospital and he was taken in for surgery. While Penny and Charlie wait for word on Desmond they get a visit.
- It's Eloise Hawking. She informs Penny that it is her son Daniel Faraday's fault that Desmond was shot.
- Eloise apologized to Penny. Desmond became a casualty of something much bigger than him. (the same thing Charles Widmore told Desmond when Dez went to visit him earlier this season)
- Penny asks what to do now? Eloise states "for the first time in a long time I do not know what is next." And, unfortunately based on the narrative, we cannot discuss the implications of what this means until we get to the end of the blog! But I do have other questions. Like how did she know all of this stuff about Desmond? (you don't take the ring! The island is not done with you yet.)? Has she been traveling back and forth from the island since the 70's? Has she time traveled herself? Will she be getting her OWN flashback episode in season 6? Yikes, we'll speculate more after we finish the recap.
- Long story short with Desmond. He's OKAY! "AH promised I'll nevah leave ya againe!!" awwwwwwwww!!!
- Meanwhile Eloise leaves the hospital and Charles Widmore is there. He asked if Desmond is okay and is happy that he is. (hmmmm maybe he's not bad afterall?) Eloise tells Charles to go in and see his daughter. Charles states that his relationship with his daughter is one of the things he had to sacrifice. Eloise gets upset at this as she sent Daniel back to the Island knowing full well that.....(ah ah ah.....we're not there yet!) and Charles of course says...
- HE'S MY SON TOO ELOISE! Woaaaaa. Okay okay, so I think in all of our discussions back in the days of JUGHEAD (episode 3), this scenario came up. What if Charles and Eloise were a THING? We also speculated what if Penny and Daniel were twins separated at birth (a la Luke and Leia of Star Wars). Of course, why is Daniel's last name FARADAY? That doesn't sound like Hawking OR Widmore to me! And when Ben discussed Widmore having a relationship off Island was it with Eloise or some other mistress? Does Widmore have 2 children with 2 different mothers similar to Christian Shephard having Jack and Claire? Both scenarios are quite intriguing. And there seems to be a lot of story to tell there. I am starting to see why Alan Dale (Charles Widmore) had the option of becoming a series regular in season 6. And the same goes for John Terry (Christian Shephard). So again we must wonder what is going on here!? Is Eloise an island outcast as well? Then why did she help BEN get back to the Island? Or has Eloise been traveling back and forth to the island? She seemed to just appear out of nowhere back into Daniel's life during his flashbacks. All very intriguing kids!
- By the way, Eloise did not take too kindly to Charles calling Daniel his son too. She slapped him and got out of there. Reminded me of the whole Jack "YOU'RE NOT EVEN RELATED TO HIM!" speech he gave to Kate as they broke off their engagement.
1977 - On Island
We are all over the place on the Island in this episode. But the glue that holds it all together is Daniel's crazy mission when he returns to the Island. Once Dan arrives, he goes on a whirlwind mission to make sure certain events happen "just in case." Just in case what? Well, we have to read on to figure that out!
- When Dan arrives on the sub he explains to Miles that he is back because of Jack, Kate and Hurley being in the latest DHARMA recruitment picture. He needs to speak to Jack pronto.
- Miles gets in a good joke that he figured Dan went on to become rich inventing the DVD. Good times!
- You can hear in the background Dr. Chang giving the Black Clad Swan Station Crewmembers marching orders to begin immediate work on the station.
- Dan explains to Jack that he was at DHARMA headquarters doing research. We don't actually get to see Daniel working off-island during the 70's. But popular theories had him creating the Pendulum in the Lamp Post station that Eloise tells Jack, Sun, Desmond and Ben about. I'm still not sure this works since DHARMA needed to find the island BEFORE the 70s! But Eloise was very clear to point out that there was a very brilliant MAN that created it where others had failed before. Seems to fit the Dan mold. Maybe somehow we will get that story before the end of the show.
- Dan is persistent on asking Jack how they got back to the Island. Jack explains that they were on a plane that Dan's mother instructed them to get on. Daniel asked if she talked a lot about destiny, which she did. Daniel then breaks the bad news that she was wrong and that they don't belong there at all.
- Could this be Daniel carrying baggage from his experiences with his Mother talking about his destiny all of his life? As we will find out, he does have new theories on Time Travel and CHANGING events, but will these new theories actually pan out? From what we've seen so far in this episode, it doesn't look like it. But, who knows!?
- Daniel then requests Miles take him directly to the Orchid station. When they arrive, he consults his Journal and then Chang shows up in the van (exactly the same scene we saw in the season premiere but from Dan's perspective). Interesting to note that Daniel KNEW that Chang would show up to the Orchid at that exact time and it would appear he knew from the journal. What is THAT all about!?
- Dan takes the elevator down into the Orchid and reads his journal all along the way as if he needs it to determine his next course of action. We see the dead body being escorted out. Dan eavesdrops on the TIME MANIPULATION conversation that Chang has with one of the workers. He is told that he needs a hard hat (which we saw him wearing in the season premiere). Dan intentionally seems to bump into Chang while dropping off a canister. We finish the season premiere stuff with the worker guy blowing off the time travel comments. Dan runs back to talk to Chang and pretty much unloads a bunch of information as we predicted SOMEONE might do in the next few episodes.
- Dan requests the evacuation of every man, woman and child on the island. Explains that the dead body is a result of the electromagnetic activity that the drilling unleashed. He explains that it is contained at the Orchid but at the Swan Site in 6 hours the same thing is going to happen. Except that the energy there is about 30,000 times more powerful!! Yikes! (by the way, Daniel is referring to THE INCIDENT but we'll get to that)
- Chang thinks the information is absurd. Daniel explains that he is from the future. Chang believes him even less then thinking that Daniel is making fun of him after overhearing his conversation about manipulating time. Daniel tries to convince him by looking at the journal and the equations that won't be possible for another 20 years.
- Miles meanwhile catches wind that Daniel is spilling the beans. Dan then goes and explains that Miles is Chang's son. "Think about it, a Chinese man named Miles, the same name as your baby arrives with me from the future" Makes sense to me! Miles refuses to acknowledge that this is true. Which is enough for Chang at the moment. Something tells me Chang will begin to believe especially with the Comic-Con Video we mentioned in last week's post.
- So maybe everyone IS evacuated from the Island and some come back after the incident? We know not everyone dies in the Incident because there are still DHARMA crew around when the purge happens. And Ben, Ethan and Horace are at least around for that ("The Man Behind The Curtain" season 3 Ben flashback ep). We also know that Radzinsky survives the Incident because he'll go on to push the button for awhile. And, we'll discuss at end of blog but it is seeming like Daniel is NOT the voice behind the camera in the video. Perhaps it's Miles!
- Daniel says to Miles that he is just making sure his father does what he's supposed to do and that Miles will see. This could mean a bunch of things, get Baby Miles off of the Island. It could also mean that Chang needs to create that above video that perhaps Dan has seen somehow. Clearly he has knowledge about a 30 year difference in time there and if Miles was the voice on the video, then Dan may know that Miles will see first hand. Crazy stuff!
The Fellowship of the LOSTIES Meeting
Meanwhile, Dan's comments to Jack set him in motion to tell everyone else. He went to Sawyer, who has his own issues to deal with. (Remember they have Security man Phil tied up from last episode)
- Jack catches Sawyer up on the Daniel situation. And Juliet makes Sawyer get Jack "in-the-know" on the Phil situation.
- Gotta love Sawyer's "Love to trade theories with you on this Doc but I'm a little busy" line! Also, Sawyer has some great nicknames for Daniel a little later.
- The situation leads to a meeting of our LOSTIES: Jack, Kate, Hurley, Jin, Juliet and Sawyer. Sawyer explains that it looks like it is time to go. He is a little bitter at Jack and crew ruining their 3 year vacation in DHARMAVILLE, but he knows their time is up. The options? Take the Sub off of the island or start off at square 1 on the beach. Hurley and Jin immediately voted to stay on the island. Jin wants to find Sun. Hurley didn't want his trip back to be pointless.
- There's a knock on the door. It's Danny boy with Miles along for the ride. (Sawyer nicknames for Dan: Twitchy and H.G. Wells...CLASSIC!)
- Daniel tells everyone what he needs to do is of critical importance to everyone in the room and asks if anyone knows where to find the hostiles. He explains that one of them is his mother. (duh, we already figured that out 11 episodes ago dude! 1954 Ellie = Eloise Hawking) He explains that she is the only person on the island that can get them all back to where they belong.
- Dan explains that Sawyer met her in 1954. Hurley: "You guys were in 1954? Like Fonzie times?" Ahhhh love it!
- Sawyer is having a hard time converting from the "LAY LOW" approach. Jack says that they don't belong there in the 70's. He asks Kate if she knows where the Others are and if she would take Dan and him to them. He uses the ol' "Not asking what you did with Aaron" secret to his advantage. He knows Kate didn't come back to the island to be stuck in the 70's.
- Sawyer makes a big mistake by looking out for Kate and calling her FRECKLES when he asks her to come with them. Juliet glares at Sawyer and then blurts out the Sonic Fence code (141717). WHOOPS Sawyer! He tells Kate to take Daniel and that "it's over for us here anyway" She may as well have been talking about her and Sawyer too.
- Miles refuses to drive them as he throws the keys to Dan.
- Sawyer informs them all that when they realize they've made a mistake, they'll be at the beach. (ahhh perhaps we'll find Rose and Bernard in the next few episodes! We should at least see them in 2007 during the time jumps when the Ajira folk get to the camp)
- Kate and Jack embark on getting guns at the Motor Pool (ahhh Janitor Jack has the keys!). Meanwhile, Daniel gets sidetracked for a second.
Daniel and Charlotte
Daniels sees Charlotte on the swingset and has to go over and talk to her.
Shootout at the Motor Pool!
- Charlotte is eating Chocolate and blurts out "I'm not allowed to have chocolate before dinner" This links her dying words and her recollection of the conversation she had with Daniel when she was a child.
- He told her that Dr. Chang is going to ask a bunch of people to get on the submarine and leave the island. He instructs her to leave "in case what he does doesn't work." Daniel said he tried to avoid having this conversation. He didn't think he could change things, but now he thinks he can.
- This is crazy. The whole 2nd half of the season keeps teasing us with changing the future. And it seems like that is what the end game of the season will be about. I'm sure it's all leading to something big but is anyone else getting frustrated that it seems like a waste of time to keep showing us how whatever happened, happened? Yeah, it's cool to see that Daniel is convinced he can change the future and that leads him to tell Charlotte the very thing that he tried to avoid telling her. But that just went to show us that WHATEVER HAPPENED HAPPENED! Who am I kidding? I love it anyway! As I've said before, even if they can't change the events that are going to happen, we still get to see THEIR participation in the events and what happens to THEM.
Kate and Jack stock up on weapon supplies, and provide Dan with gun. They're not alone however. Whiney boy Radzinsky decided to show up!
- Radzinsky told Dan he is supposed to be at the SWAN site. Dan starts conjuring lies of where he has been. They see the gun and everyone gets into a staredown. Radzinsky and crew vs. Dan, Kate and Jack.
- Dan explains that Radzinsky has no idea what is happening and that they have to let them go. Radzinsky shoots Dan and grazes his neck. This starts an all-out shootout. Somehow Dan, Kate and Jack are able to make it to a jeep and get out of there.
- Oh I know how, Jack shot a fuel tank and blew up a DHARMA Van! Nice shooting Jack!!
- Radzinsky orders the alarm to be sounded.
Sawyer and Juliet are packing supplies. Sawyer had instructed everyone else to do the same. Juliet is clearly upset with Sawyer.
- Sawyer told Juliet he should have listened to her when Jack and crew showed up. He asked if Juliet still had his back. She asked if he still has hers. Trouble in paradise folks!
- The alarm sounds. We see Hurley and Jin heading back to Sawyer's place. Hurley has the guitar case again (we still need to find out what Hurley has stashed in there and why!).
- Radznisky and crew barge into "LaFleur's" house and he explains what went down at the motor pool. He got shot by a physicist and the new recruits are helping. Long story short, Radzinsky hears Phil's muffled screaming from the closet and the guns turn on Sawyer and Juliet. To Be Continued next week!
We're off to see the Others!
Jack, Kate and Dan arrive in the Jeep to the Sonic Fence and begin their trek to The Others.
- Jack checks out the wound. We find out Jack missed out on the Hurley/Miles Time Travel 101 course. He thinks they are all invincible since they're in the past and whatever happened happened. Even though Miles already explained to us that it is THEIR present and any one of them can die. Dan explains that he didn't have a scar on his neck when he arrived, but now he would. I guess they are just trying to beat it into our heads so everyone understands it. And of course, with all of the foreshadowing, it would be a letdown if one of them DIDN'T die in the past right? Again, it keeps the stakes real and our interest peaked as we see our LOSTIES take place in events that already happened.
- As they get into the jungle, Jack asks for more information about his mother and what is going on. Why don't they belong there?
- Dan explains that in 4 hours the DHARMA folks at the swan site are going to drill into the ground and accidentally tap into a massive pocket of energy. The results will be catastrophic. To contain it they're going to have to cement the entire area like Chernobyl (sounding familiar yet?), they will build the Swan hatch over the containment. They are going to spent the next 20 years keeping the energy at bay by pressing a button. Eventually that torch will be passed to Desmond who will forget to push the button (while he's off killing Kelvin) causing flight 815 to crash which thereby causes Widmore's freighter to arrive carrying Dan. It's a sequence of events that is initiated in 4 hours.
- Dan explains that he thinks they can change that. He has been so busy worrying about CONSTANTS in time travel that he never thought about the VARIABLES. The variables are PEOPLE. THEY are the variables and they control their own destiny. They think, they make choices they have free will.
- Dan's plan? Negate the energy by blowing up a Hydrogen Bomb (good ol' Jughead!). Well that explains why he needs to talk to Eloise. In 1954, Daniel told ELLIE to bury the bomb and cover it with cement.
- Here's the thing, didn't Dan himself ask if Desmond had been exposed to Electro-magnetism OR Radiation? What if he was exposed to BOTH? causing his time travel swirl? What if detonating Jughead was PART of what caused the Incident? Yikes, this stuff is crazy!
- I mean come on, they're not going to succeed! They're not going to wipe out 5 seasons worth of LOST! Flight 815 always crashed, they can't change that. Can they?? I still am thinking that the INCIDENT is what will help our LOSTIES get back to where they belong. Of course, when the season ends, we may not know where ANY of them are depending on what kind of cliffhanger they leave us with! Based on some interviews Matthew Fox has been giving while promoting the 100th episode, he is really excited for the cliffhanger this season. We'll see!
- Daniel, Jack and Kate arrive to the Others' camp. Dan runs into the camp, shoots the ground before one of the others can get his gun. Dan says he wants to speak to Eloise. Richard is there and says that Eloise is not there right now. Dan seems to be confused at seeing Richard look exactly how he looked in 1954. Richard recognizes Dan but can't place it.
- Daniel asks Richard where the bomb is. Richard seems worried about getting shot doesn't he? Maybe he isn't a GHOST like person as some had been speculating. Or he's just playing along. Dan gives him until the count of 3 to tell him where the bomb is.
- And before he gets to 3, he gets shot in the back by dear old Mum!
- Richard yells at Eloise. Why did you do that? He wasn't going to shoot me! (how did he know?)
- Daniel looks at his mother in utter disbelief "You knew that this would happen and you sent me anyway!" And all of a sudden it all makes sense (kinda). Eloise crying when he sends Daniel on the path that will lead him to the Island where she herself will kill him in her past. Why she slapped Widmore when he said that it was his son too. And why Eloise said "for the first time in a long time I do not know what is next" It would seem that everything she has known about our LOSTIES has come from their links to Daniel. Daniel told Eloise that they were from the future in 1954. She begins her curiosity. She shoots her son in 1977 where he explains that he is her son. She helps send Jack and Kate back to the island who help Dan get to his final moment.
- And I do say final because it would most certainly seem that Daniel Faraday dies at the hands of his mother's gun. RIP Dan, you were a mad scientist that rivaled the likes of Doc Brown! (Update: DEATH confirmed by producers)
Okay that officially ends the recap, but I still want to revisit some stuff with Eloise.
- It all makes sense in theory that Eloise has all of this knowledge from her past interactions with her son. But were there more interactions we haven't seen yet? I mentioned it above, but how does she know Desmond's future with not taking the ring and that the island isn't done with him? Did she know that Consciousness Time Traveling Desmond and Dan had discussions in 1996 which led her to do more research? Has Widmore been keeping tabs on Desmond all of his life to make sure he went to that Island as well causing him to sacrifice his relationship with his daughter? Eloise knows that Desmond will save the world by pushing that button. She knows about it years before it happens.
- Of course, we don't know what happens immediately after the moment she shoots Dan. Do Jack and Kate enter the Others' Camp? Do they explain what is about to go down and enlist their help? I guess there are other ways that Eloise can get all of this information than her getting it from her son. There are plenty of other future dwellers in 1977 that can spill the beans.
- It would seem that the motivation for the remainder of the season will be to carry out Daniel's plan. And I'm sure everyone won't be up for the ride! And on that note, who will run into Sayid first out in the jungle?
Well, there we go folks. Another crazy entry into the LOST Universe with "The Variable." Hope you enjoyed my ramblings as always, see you next week and NAMASTE!
This blog is also posted on Gather.com. Feel free to check it out and send some votes my way! You may also stumble upon additional discussions there!
Special thanks as always to Sledgeweb for providing awesome screen shots on their site.