Once again we flash between 2 different time periods and do not focus on any particular character this time around. As suspected we have some people on the Island in 2007 and the rest are stuck in 1977, the Glory Days of the DHARMA Initiative. In 2007, we uncover more of what happens to Ajira Flight 316 and the passengers that remained on the plane. In 1977 we continue where we left off last episode as Sawyer meets up with Jack, Kate, Hurley and Jin. And off we go to that mysterious Island we know and love!
- The co-pilot informs Frank that he recognizes Hurley as one of the Oceanic 6 and states that he must have nerves of steel to get back on a plane.
- Then the turbulence begins. They turn off the auto-pilot.....then the FLASH happens.
- It would seem that the flight FLASHED to the Island as well wouldn't it? It was all of a sudden daytime after the flash and the Island was in sight. There have been many rumblings out there that maybe the Island doesn't move through space at all, just time. Perhaps these windows to get to the Island have nothing to do with WHERE the Island is. It could just be a matter of passing through the window when it is open to get to the stationary Island. And if that's the case, we could tie flight 815 and the Nigerian Plane both to this theory. As for water arrival, that may be different story all together (Rousseau, Desmond, Freighter, Black Rock).
- Anyway, the plane seems to have lost power in the flash but they are able to power back up enough to get the thing in somewhat flying shape to land. At this point I screamed out "LOOK FOR THE RUNWAY!!!!!" And sure enough, they found it! This finally settles the debate that some out there were STILL saying there was no runway for the plane to land on. We see a DIRT PATH paved for a plane to land. We learned in season 3 that Sawyer and Kate's hard work breaking rocks (for those dreadful 6 episodes) was all for building a runway. Was the runway a task set forth from Jacob as he knew that the Ajira flight would land there? If so, we can still speculate that Jacob just may be Locke from the future. But we shall see one of these days!
- While the plane is heading down, you can hear The Numbers 4 8 15 16 23 42 being recited over their radio. What is THAT all about????
- We find out that Sun is still on the plane as suspected. We find out that Caesar and Ilana do not know each other (he called her "Lady").
- We find out Ben was not hurt from the crash as he confirms that Jack, Kate, Hurley and Sayid are all gone. And asks how he can possibly know where they are. Ben says a lot of other things in this episode that I want to believe to, but I just give up on that guy!
- Sun is clutching Jin's wedding ring hoping to find him. Ilana exchanges some pleasantries with Sun.
- Frank takes charge tells everyone to stay calm and stick together until they get rescued. We've been here before and are bored for a second! Frank plays dumb to where they are to all of the newbies.
- Caesar makes mention of a few things to Frank that triggers Ben to know they're on Hydra Island. He sneaks away. Sun follows....and Frank is not far behind.
- Ben informs Sun that he is going back to "OUR" Island and invites her along. He claims that he does not know where Jin is, but considering we know more about Ben's past, perhaps he does!
- We learn that the 3 Outriggers DO belong to The Others. I'm not sure why Juliet would claim not to know they existed a few episodes back if that was the case. I am going to choose not to look into this one!
- Frank arrives and warns that Ben is dangerous and recaps the Freighter with mercenaries coming all with the mission to kill Ben. Loved Ben's response "How did that work out?" As we know, the OTHERS took care of the mercenaries. And well....Ben took care of Keamy.
- Ben suggests there are supplies that can help at the DHARMA Barracks that are not far from the dock.
- And once they get that information SUN, who claims she had to trust Ben, slammed Ben on the head with an OAR! THWACK!!!! "I Lied" niiiiiice! So next time we see Ben he will probably get a nice wake up call from Locke.
Back to the Island
- Frank and Sun take an outrigger to the Island and head to the barracks.
- They did encounter Smokey for a second. (or heard it) Frank has never seen the monster. I don't think Sun as "SEEN" it either but she definitely knows of its existence, but doesn't alarm Frank about it.
- When they get to the abandoned barracks, we begin to hear whispers....then a LIGHT pops on in one of the houses. It's Christian Shephard! Well, he is just appearing to everyone now it seems. I don't have enough more information here to speculate about what's going on with him at the moment. So we take it for what it is. A Ghost that can hold babies and turn on lights and appear in different times, off the Island and on the Island and on the Freighter and can talk to anyone he pleases! Is Locke the same as HIM now? or different somehow? Stay Tuned!
- Sun tells Christian she is looking for her husband. Christian brings them inside and shows them pictures of the DHARMA Recruit Classes. They come across 1977 and we see Jack, Kate and Hurley in the picture. He tells them that they have a bit of a journey ahead of them. Hmmmmm are Sun and Frank going to travel back in time TO them?
- We're not quite there yet, but you may want to take a look at these 2 pictures (the photo and the live TAKING of the photo). Our image experts over at lost.cubit.net have identified that there is a MISSING person in the LIVE shot (see #4). However, if you look even closer at the circled place in the LIVE shot. You can still make out a FOOT in there. What's going on here? Could be just a mess up in the filming. Or we could be meant to think that there is some altering with TIME going on. Even a Ghostly appearance in the picture! Very Marty McFly Back to the Future disappearing Photo'ish! I'll leave it up to you to all theorize in the comments!
- Also, if you rewind the scene when Christian is showing the photo to Sun and Frank, the door swings open and there is a quick sighting of smoke. Now if you recall, when Christian appeared to Jack off Island in the flash forward, the smoke alarm went off. I mentioned that it was possible that it could be related to the Smoke Monster! Well, I'm throwing it out there again! It may not have been smoke at all, but it's worth noting!
- One more thing to note. Apparently, you may have only seen this on the HD Broadcast, but near the end of this scene, you can make out a woman standing in the room with Christian as well. Speculation is leading to this possibly being Claire! (Look behind Sun to the right in this photo.)
- Hurley breaks the tension and goes for a hug. "you're alive!!!" Sawyer goes for a nickname in return "Easy on the ribs Kong!" to which Hurley responds that he missed that. Good times!
- Friendly handshake follows between Jack and Sawyer. And then the awkward hug between Kate and Sawyer with shots of Jack's "what can I really do? It's been 3 years." reaction.
- Sawyer asks how Locke got them to come back. They caught Sawyer and Jin up to the best of their knowledge that Locke was dead. Jack said it didn't matter how he died (didn't want to tell them it was suicide as he thought it was).
- Jin avoided explaining their current situation without Sawyer's help. They explain that it's 1977 and they've been working for DHARMA for 3 years. (Hurley's "WHAT???" reaction was priceless leading into the opening LOST title)
- Hurley's reaction to Jin's improved English was also a good time! So great to have them all together again!
- Kate reveals that it has been 3 years since they left the Island as well.
- Sawyer and Jin explain that they cannot be off grounds too long without reporting in because of the hostiles (others).
- Jack explains that they didn't come alone and that Lapidus, Sayid and Sun were on the plane too. Jin runs off to the FLAME station stating that if a Plane landed on the Island, Radzinsky would know!! (Recognize the name? Well I threw in a question in the last blog if we'd meet him and sure enough we did! He was Kelvin's hatch mate in the Swan prior to Desmond. He eventually blows his brains out leaving Kelvin to push the button alone. There was speculation that Hurley was going to turn out to be Radzinsky. No such luck folks! But I guess there's nothing saying that Hurley won't provide him with the numbers (4 8 15 16 23 42) to program into the hatch computer!)
- Sawyer panics as he thinks they need to slow down and think things through (a theme that we will revisit a little later). He tells the rest of them to stay put until he figures out a way to explain where they came from.
- Kate asks who else is there besides him and Jin. Naturally, we cut away without hearing Sawyer's answer. But the story cuts to Juliet and Miles...
- Juliet heads to Security Station and requests Miles' help for finding Sawyer who took off without any explanation. They find out he has returned to the Barracks.
- Sawyer catches Juliet up. She definitely didn't react well to their return as she probably was just getting used to be happy and in love with Sawyer! But she was the one that came up with the plan. The sub was coming in with new recruits that day. Jack, Kate and Hurley will be 3 of them!
- There is a short scene between Juliet and Amy where Juliet grabs the Sub manifest stating that she didn't want Amy working during her recovery from giving birth.
- We find out that they named the baby ETHAN. This was a popular speculation and based on the timing, probably one of the only options that really worked. (although I thought Ethan was older than 27 when 815 first crashed!) But this is intriguing. Ethan was originally a DHARMA guy then. So that kinda kills any theories that only Island Natives can come and go from the Island as they please. (I started to think that after we saw Tom "Mr. Friendly" off of the Island talking to Michael saying that "some of us can come and go") I guess there is the possibility that they really do take the Sub on and off of the Island. But that doesn't explain Richard going in the 50's pre-DHARMA. Unless, Richard is a Ghost-like dude just like Shephard and possibly Locke. Oh well, for now, we know Ethan was with DHARMA. So that begs the question, what side does Amy end up on when the PURGE happens? Ben tells Hurley in season 4 that he was "one of the ones" who were smart enough to join ranks with The Others before ending up in the DHARMA ditch. And if Ben had to kill his father. Perhaps Ethan had to kill Horace or Amy? Or maybe that's only a task for the one destined to become the LEADER of the Others? Ahhh, I'm rambling. We'll save the rest for the comments!
- Amy asks Juliet when she and Jim are going to have children. Juliet hesitates saying the timing has to be right. That could be two-fold with the Baby making issues on the Island (which we have to find out how that happens right?) and also with the return of Kate!
- While they wait for Sawyer's return, Kate fills the time by asking about Hawking and if she mentioned that they'd be arriving 30 years in the past. Jack says no and is wondering what they have to do there.
- Sawyer returns and catches the trio up with the plan and that it has to happen now. Another batch of recruits doesn't come for 6 months. Jack goes for a power play to try and think up another plan. Kate and Hurley decide they should listen to Sawyer "I vote for not camping!" It's going to be interesting to see how long Sawyer remains the one in charge. Clearly something will have to happen that will make Jack the "go to" guy again! But through the rest of this recap, we will see how Sawyer gets enjoyment over the current role reversal!
- Sawyer also explains how everyone is always knocked out for their Sub trip. So no one meets each other until they get here. Let's discuss this in the FLAME section below!
- On the DHARMA Van ride back to the Barracks, Hurley asks about warning the DHARMA people about the purge (I love how everyone just accepts the fact that they're in the 70's so quickly!).
- Sawyer has a great comeback about not playing Nostradamus for them. But then explained how Faraday had a theory about trying to change the past. (I wonder if this is the "what happened happened" theory or if something different happened when he decides to talk to Charlotte?) We find out that Faraday definitely is not with them anymore. So I wonder if the scene with Dan at the Orchid has already happened at this point? We didn't find out if Dan was dead, alive, with the others, transported to the future....so I'm guessing the reveal of what happened to him will be significant! Perhaps, Sun and Lapidus will run into him and then we will get a Dan-centric Flashback episode? Ahhhh me and my crazy theories!
- The Van arrives at the Barracks. The band Blue Image's "Ride Captain Ride" is playing to celebrate the arrival of the DHARMA recruits. Key lyrics include "mystery ship" and "others." I'm sure there is no significance other than irony!
- Sawyer explains the plan. Jack, Kate and Hurley's names have been added to the recruit list. They should go to the Meet and Greet, watch the video, put on their jumpsuits and take their work assignments.
- Hurley was paranoid that he would get quizzed on who the president is at the time. Sawyer ensured him that it wasn't a game show and that he has their back.
- Miles returns and questions the arrival of the 3, but there are bigger things to deal with. Duh, there's a 145 at the Flame! Sawyer talks to Jin via the walkie and finds out the have run into a hostile. Yep, it's Sayid (I skipped that story intentionally for the moment, so we'll get to it in a bit!)
- So we follow Jack, Kate and Hurley into the orientation. The video is the same one we saw during Ben's flashback episode in season 3 "The Man Behind the Curtain" when little boy Ben and his father "Roger Workman!" arrived on the Island.
- We finally get a name for the DHARMA guy from Mad Men. It's Phil (whew, that's easier!). He summons over "Jack Shephard" (hmmm, they didn't bother with aliases this time. Hopefully they don't do too much off-island research!)
- Jack meets Pierre Chang first-hand. (aka Marvin Candle, and various other waxy names!) Chang mentions that this is not is normal job but he was summoned from his lab to help. (probably because Amy was resting) He can't find all of the paperwork and blames it on everything being disorganized that day. He asks Jack who his shuttle driver was. Jack tells him LaFleur and that's good enough for him. We find out Jack's work assignment will be a "WORKMAN" aka DHARMA Janitor Jack can't help but smile because he knows Sawyer was behind it. So the big question...will Jack actually meet and worth with Roger Linus? I'd put money on it! There was an attack by the hostiles at one point during Ben's flashback episode. I wonder if we will actually see why that happened!
- Kate runs into a little trouble as Phil cannot find her on his list. Juliet saves the day, reluctantly!
- We will probably get more info on Kate and Hurley's jobs next week. But I am still guessing for now that Hurley will work with Radzinsky!
- Jin runs in and starts checking the radar logs. He wants to know if the plane landed. Radzinsky flips out a bit then tries to help him. Although he is confused at Jin's incessant need for the information.
- Radznisky hears back from The Looking Glass who said that there is nothing coming but the Sub. Remember the bluepring for the Looking Glass and how there was a spot on it for the Sub? I had theorized way back then that this was possibly how the sub was arriving to the Island. Remember, everyone is unconscious for the trip. Juliet was too. We have never seen the sub actually "arrive" to the Island and neither has any of its passengers which makes you think something crazy is going on. And considering how we now learned that aircraft are "TELEPORTED" (for lack of a better word) to the Island through these windows, perhaps the DHARMA sub is similar? Lots of questions on those water vehicles! I always wanted to see more of The Looking Glass station. That was quite a set they built for the season 3 finale. Seeing it for 2'ish episodes isn't enough. Give us more Looking Glass!
- Anyway, grid 325's motion censor went off with Hostile activity. Jin, hoping it's Sun, runs out to meet them. Long story short...It's Sayid! Jin quickly asks where Sun is. Sayid states that he doesn't know. Then Radzinsky arrives and Jin changes his tune. They both point their guns at him. He has to treat Sayid like a HOSTILE.
- After Jin's call to Sawyer, James rushes to the Flame station. Radzinsky explains that they have shoot him because he saw a model of the Swan station and sees where they are building it. Hmmmmm so perhaps the Swan WAS a mystery to The Others which is why Radz and Kelvin may not get purged. Well, Ben has to find out about it at some point, because he monitors them from The Pearl station with Juliet before he recruits Jack to do his surgery.
- By the way, Radzinsky's in-depth involvement with DHARMA and the maps of stations explains how he was able to draw the blacklight map of the stations in the Swan Hatch. By the way, reading that map again so many seasons later is a pretty good time! Things seem so much clearer!
- Sawyer gives Radz a great nickname of "Quickdraw" with his desire to kill Sayid. Instead, Sawyer relishes the chance to "interrogate" Sayid, similar to Sayid interrogating Sawyer in season 1. This time though? No torture involved.
- Apparently, terms of the truce are that Hostiles have to identify themselves as such or else they can be shot on sight. Sayid plays along.
- Back at the barracks we flash to the 1977 taking of the DHARMA Recruit picture. We discussed this in the 1997 section above.
- What we didn't discuss was the song playing during the Photo Event. Something about a "DHARMA LADY" ? Could this be the legendary Geronimo Jackson band that has become a household name since season 2? I've heard rumors that a Geronimo Jackson album would be available for sale in the real world at some point this season. And that one of the songs would be featured in an episode. I'm guessing this was what the producers were discussing! Sorry kids, I think I'm gonna have to pass on the album purchase. So you can let me know how it is whenever it goes on sale!
- Sawyer brings Sayid back to the barracks and takes him straight to the security station. Everyone sees Sayid though in the process. It's going to be a difficult sell to assimilate Sayid into the DHARMA crew!
- Sawyer gives Sayid a nod assuring him that he has it under control. And he tells Phil to get him some food.
- Jack wants to have a chat with Sawyer to catch up a bit. Love how Phil tells him not to call LaFleur JAMES. He hates it.
- Juliet answers the door. A nice cheesy hugging scene between those 2. But the killer part is when she tells him he didn't have the wrong house. She is marking her territory! (well, not from Jack...but you know what I mean!)
- Sawyer offers Jack a beer to which he declines. (I'm sure he loves drinking refrigerated and fresh DHARMA beer now!)
- Jack has many questions about their current situation, but starts with asking about Sayid. Sawyer says he's working on it. Jack starts questioning Sawyer's work ethic (reading a book). And Sawyer lets Jack have it!
- Sawyer explains his leadership style vs. Jack's. How Jack was more reactive than thinking things through (while reading books Winston Churchhill style) and how people ended up dead under Jack's lead. Jack retorts saying that he got people off the Island (good job Jack...all 6 of you plus Desmond!)
- Sawyer says he is going to go back to reading his book. It's how he saved Jack today and how he'll save Sayid tomorrow. Oooh burn!
- Can't have Jack and Sawyer being friendly for too long right? I love how they reintroduced the tension between them. That being said...there's no way Sawyer-in-charge can last. Some event has to happen to put Jack back in control. Maybe it will be a surgery that needs to be performed. Maybe something entirely different. But, as Jack told Sawyer in season 2 "when I want the guns, I'll get the guns!" For now, this dynamic should be a fun one to watch!
- After Jack leaves, Sawyer stares at Kate across the way, but then retreats back to his home with Juliet. Stay tuned for more drama there!
Sayid is hungry again!
As we all know from Sayid's reaction to the lima beans on the freighter, you do not want to give the man bad food! It makes him very disgusted! Fortunately, someone comes to his rescue with food that is a step up from the beans.
- A little boy arrives to bring Sayid a sandwich. Sayid gladly accepts. The boy asks if Sayid is a hostile. Sayid asks what he thinks? The boy asks for Sayid's name. He gives it. Sayid asks for the boy's name....we see his face. "BEN" Nice to meet you Ben!
Other questions that arise from this. Ben is aware of Sayid, Jack, Kate and Hurley from 1977. Did the 2004/2007 version of Ben have this knowledge? If so, then he DOES know what happened to all of them. He always knew that they had to go back to the Island if they left. And...is that how they had all of the information about Sayid and Jack that we found out in season 3. Because they have been following their lives since way back when? Same with John Locke?
Loads of questions that time travel can bring! We can sort them out in the comments below. I think I've gotten a little too wordy once again so I will say my goodbyes! Another fantastic episode of LOST in the history books. Hope you enjoyed my ramblings and I look forward to hearing yours! And it couldn't be more appropriate than after this episode to say...NAMASTE!
This blog is also posted on Gather.com. Feel free to check it out and send some votes my way! You may also stumble upon additional discussions there!
Special thanks as always to Sledgeweb for providing awesome screen shots on their site.