Even with all the confusion going on, I still enjoyed my hour in LOST-Land, and I give the episode a bonafide WOW! (but yeah, only one exclamation mark!)
Let's dive into the story. So the episode is called Jughead, and while he's the main sidekick in the Archie comics, and it's the name of an awful Gulf War movie where the only memorable thing is Jamie Fox saying "Hoo Rah!," we don't find out why the episode is called that until closer to the end of the episode. And it has nothing to do with a person! We continue Desmond's story in this episode after he received the memory and gets his mission to find Daniel Faraday's mother at Oxford (although we already have suspicions on who this might be! Even further confirmed tonight.) And I guess after 2 episodes now, we see how they're going to incorporate Flashbacks this season. Hurley got one flashback to the Oceanic 6's initial moments off the island. Now Desmond got one flashback to what he's been up to since he has left the island. I like this idea. And since they opened with the flashback, it doesn't get confusing with jumping from Present Day to Island Time the entire episode. Speaking of the Island Story, we pick up right where we left off after the flaming arrow attack at some point in the distant past. Here we go!
We start off with a Desmond flashback from some point after he got off the Island and was with Penny. Still living on Jack's mantra "Don't let him find you Desmond." We learn that Penny gave birth to a child, and the name is withheld from us until closer to the end of the episode. In the present day, Desmond, Penny and Son are approaching the U.K. in search of Faraday's "Mum." (I had to throw in a little English twang for you!) Penny is worried about her father finding them. Desmond is determined to help his Island friends. He returns to Oxford and there is no record of Daniel Faraday ever working there. He breaks into Daniel's secret Physics lab (ahhh memories from "The Constant") and we get to reminisce on the big scene with Eloise the rat, Daniel with the mullett, and Desmond with the consciousness time travel disease! Some mysterious janitor dude came and basically knew what experimentations were going on in the room (even though he didn't believe Faraday could actually send "brains through time") and tipped off Dez on a human guinnea pig of Daniel's that he put in a vegetative state (Theresa). He follows the lead to Theresa's residence and finds out some interesting developments with Charles Widmore. The rest we'll save for the bullets!
- Not much to dwell on here, except we know that Dez and Penny were hiding out in the Phillipines because we had a flash of the flag and the word Mabuhay which Wikipedia tells me is a common greeting in the Phillipines.
- As for the time of this event, it must've been soon after they left the Island (like 9 months) because that boy is getting big in the present day! Dez and Penny didn't waste any time!
- As they were approaching the "Island" of the Great Britain. Desmond was telling his boy stories of a Special Island that he never thought he'd see again that had Mountains and Monsters, etc... I'm sure it was just meant to draw mini-comparisons. But you have to wonder if Dez is starting to get a little "homesick" about the Island too. He still seems pretty determined to never return to the Island though as he tells Penny.
- Penny doesn't seem to be on board with Desmond's desire to return to the area where Charles Widmore resides, but she loves that crazzy Scot too much to not let him follow his time traveling memories.
- The question was asked, that I wanted to know the answer to, of why Desmond suddenly got the memory 2 days ago. Naturally, Desmond said that he didn't know how it worked. But at least they addressed it, and maybe there will be more on this.
- Abigail made some interesting comments like Theresa is "away right now." And that Theresa was talking to their father who had died 5 years before.
- Okay, so I'm guessing Daniel zapped Theresa with his violet time-travel taser (the one he zapped Eloise the rat with). So perhaps Theresa is consciousness time traveling as well (and everyone else thinks she's nuts). Here's the thing. Desmond was barely going to last a day when he started going back and forth through time. For Theresa it's been "AT LEAST" 3 years, but when did Daniel flee to the United States before he was recruited for the Freighter? Crazy. I guess this could also be attributed to the effects being different for each individual.
- The other thing is, now Theresa is talking to dead people and she's never even been to the Island. Hmmm Do we think the Ghosts on and off the Island are related to all of this Time nonsense? It's a stretch, but why would they have thrown that line in there?
- Oh yes, and we also learn that Charles Widmore has been funding Daniel's experiments and has been keeping Theresa alive. Does Widmore know how to sustain a person in this condition? Perhaps! But the main thing is, Desmond knows who he needs to confront next.
- Desmond storms into Widmore's office and refuses to answer any questions. To Dez's surprise though, all Charles cares about is keeping his daughter safe. (remember, he was visited by Ben last season, who is on a mission to kill Penny)
- Desmond wants the location of Faraday's mother. Eventually Widmore gives it to him (Los Angeles). Widmore warns Dez that this war over the Island has been going on for a long time and doesn't concern Dez and especially Penny. "Deliver your message and go!"
- Widmore also mentions that Faraday's mother will not be happy to see Desmond as she is a private person. Hmmm, well we speculated that Ms. Hawking could be Daniel's mother. And now that we know Widmore knows her and the fact that she is in Los Angeles, it sure is looking like it's going to be Ms. Hawking. Another thing that ties it together is that apparently in the re-airing of last week's 2nd episode "The Lie" with the clues coming up in pop up text, they provided Ms. Hawking's first name --> Yup, it's Eloise!!! (the same as the time traveling rat!) We will get to more on this in a bit.
- Here's the big concern though, Desmond is running right into a trap and bringing reluctant Penny along for the ride. Because we know who is working with Ms. Hawking, yes it's the very same Benjamen Linus that wants to KILL Penny. Dum dum dummmmmmm
- But, even though Desmond tried to forget about his quest, Penny saw right through it and told him that the 3 of them are headed to Los Angeles.
- And I'm only going to write this theory here because I want it noted that I thought about it if the producers ever decide to do something this crazy and wacky (although I don't think they will!). What if this child holds more significance in the scheme of things. And since Desmond is all about the time travel. What if baby CHARLIE is none other than Charles Widmore, who ends up on the Island and grows up to be the so-called evil person that he is today? That is kind of sick and diluted. I would've said what if he is actually Charlie Pace, but we met Charlie's parents! I don't think they'd mess with the storyline that much, but there are lots of Charlie's to go around, so I thought I'd go all crazy theory on you for a second!
- Here's the other thing, IF Faraday's mother does indeed turn out to be Ms. Hawking, what is her relationship to Charles Widmore? If he is still in touch with her, does he know that Ben Linus is also in cahoots with her? Also, who would be Faraday's father? And was he raised in the U.S.? Because he doesn't have a British accent! More on Ms. Hawking when we get to the next topic.
- Update: Forgot to mention that Desmond FORGOT what year he had originally met Dan. Even though he knew before that it was an 8 year difference between 2004 and his current self at the time which was 1996. Is this similar to Charlotte forgetting her mother's maiden name?
Alright, back to the crazy time trippy Island. We're still stuck in a time that seemed to be circa 1950's (which we'll confirm in this episode) based on the military uniforms our captives were wearing. When everyone ran from the flaming arrow attack, everyone was intended to rendevous at the creek or something. Only Dan, Charlotte, Miles and Redshirt show up. They run into a landmine/Rousseau-like trap and Redshirt 815er guy blows up. DUH!!! Saw that coming a mile away. (Really, how many survivors are left from that initial crash?? I wonder if they're keeping track) They are captured by a bunch of the Island's inhabitants for that time, mainly a British woman. Dan assimilates himself into the mindset of that time frame and offers his help to dismantle a "bomb" of the Island's latest visitors. Meanwhile, Sawyer, Juliet and Locke are questioning the 2 men they've captured. They turn out to be "THE OTHERS!" Drama ensues...
- Before their capture, Charlotte's sickness symptoms seem to be getting worse. She tells Dan that she has double vision and is constantly dizzy. Dan is determined not to let anything happen to her. Hmmm does he know something we don't?
- After "The Others" capture Dan and crew we get some revealing information. Crazy Miles has some run-ins with "Fresh Graves" of 4 U.S. Soldiers, one of which died of Radiation poisoning. The interesting thing is Dan asks if any of them TOLD Miles what year it was. Hmmm, okay, time travel expert asking about Ghosts "talking" to Miles. Anyone else thinking of our new friend Theresa in England? And I guess we have to keep wondering why Miles can sense the dead everywhere. Was he indeed baby Chang that we saw in the season premiere? Time will tell.
- We get to the Other's Camp which is comprised of lots of Tents. I guess this is how they lived before they ransacked the DHARMA barracks. Of course, we've seen them living in tents before when they left the barracks upon John Locke's advice to get more in touch with the Island.
- Apparently, "The Others" think that Dan, Charlotte and Miles were with these U.S. Soldiers that were doing experimentation on the Island. That's right the U.S. was doing Hydrogen Bomb testing in the South-Pacific in the 50's. We find out that the soldiers left behind an unstable device capable of destroying the whole Island.
- Dan decides their best chance of survival is to play the part and hope that the next "FLASH" happens soon. Which apparently could happen in 5 minutes or 5000 years. (Yikes)
- Dan somehow earns the "OTHERS" trust by saying they were scientists with the U.S. Military and because he is in love with Charlotte and that he'd never hurt her. Yeah, because that would convince me to trust someone with dismantling an H-Bomb! I guess it's no matter because Charlotte at the line right up!
- So, I guess the Island is back in the South Pacific? We know that the Island has moved to at least 2 other locations at some point....off the coast of Nigeria, and somewhere in the Indian Ocean when the Black Rock suddenly was shipwrecked in the middle of the Island. How long they stayed in those locations? We're not quite sure. Oh well, I'm sure they'll touch on this eventually!
- Richard (have I mentioned him yet in this blog?) informs Dan that there was a battalion of 18 U.S. Soldiers. They tried to assimilate them into "The Others" but when they refused they were forced to kill them. Richard mentions he follows a chain of command. Hmmmm Jacob? Or their current leader at the time?
- Update: I totally messed this one up. The Battalion was setting up camp around them and THE OTHERS asked them to leave the Island. When they refused, THAT is when they were "forced to kill the US Soldiers"
- A little bit of discussion happens with Locke/Sawyer/Juliet about "WHEN" they are and have been and Locke almost telling them he got shot by Ethan. But in the good ol' tradition of LOST, Juliet cuts off the conversation to avoid showing all of the characters catch up"ON-SCREEN"
- We find out from Juliet that "The Others" speak Latin. Why? Well, it's "Others 101" of course!
- Juliet tries to reason with "Jones" and "Cunningham" (the name tags on their stolen U.S. Uniforms) in Latin. Even drops Richard's name to try and have a peaceful resolution. Cunningham agrees, and Jones snaps Cunningham's neck and runs off.
- Sawyer tells Locke to shoot, and Locke doesn't. Why? "He's one of my people." That crazy John Locke!
- Anyway, Locke uses his tracking skills to follow Jones to "The Other's" camp. (He's on a mission to find Richard after he got directions from "Richard of the future!")
- Locke asks Juliet how old Richard is. The response - "OLD" Well, that didn't give us many answers. Buuuut, how old is "ooooold?" Could Richard have been with the Black Rock crew? Or even have been there longer? 4-toed statue longer? And why on earth doesn't he age? I want answers!!!!
- Update: After 2nd watch, Juliet said that Richard has "always been here" Always is a lengthy period of time!
- Anyway, Sawyer puts a little bit of humor into the situation dismissing Locke's idea to go walking into the camp and decides to put his faith with "the real person that is going to save us" That's right, Daniel "The Geek" Faraday! He sees him being led away by gunpoint by the british woman.
- Sawyer and Juliet decide to follow them. Locke continues into the Camp.
- Jones returns to the camp just as Dan and British Woman are leaving. He informs Richard of the situation. He calls the British Woman, Ellie. hmmmmmm
- As Dan and Ellie begin their walk to the bomb, Dan stares at Ellie and swears that she looks very familiar. Based on the conversation and how Dan spoke of her as if she was a past love, I thought it might be this Theresa girl. I can't take credit for the theory I'm about to share as it was on Sledgeweb's site. But since we know Ms. Hawking's name is Eloise, and now this girl's name is Ellie, and she looks FAMILIAR to Dan.....hmmmm could it be Ellie Hawking?!!! I mean, check out the pictures, and re-watch her mannerisms during the episode. And it would make sense since we know that Widmore and Ms. Hawking know each other AND that he is funding Daniel's "Time-Travel" research. I mean, this could be one of those chicken-egg things because Daniel will eventually tell Ellie that he is from 50 years in the future. Perhaps, this is what gets Ms. Hawking all into Time-Travel in the first place, thus getting Dan into it as well? woaaaaaa
- Eventually Dan and Ellie get to to the H-Bomb. And yes, it's called "JUGHEAD!" Apparently, there was a real "Jughead" experiment with Hydrogen Bomb testing. You can read all about it here.
- After inspection, Dan informs Ellie what "The Others" need to do with the bomb. Bury it and fill it with Concrete. Hmmmmm sound familiar? Yep, remember the Swan Hatch? (you know the one where Desmond pushed the button). Sayid inspected the hatch and noticed that there was an entire area surrounded by concrete. Perhaps, DHARMA built the station close by to the bomb? They mentioned an "incident" on the orientation video, could it have been tied to this? I figured that DHARMA would've surrounded the bomb with concrete after the Incident. But maybe it went down a little differently. And where does Electro-magnetism come into play? Ohhh...aaaandddd maybe this means that Desmond WAS exposed to Radiation AND Electro-magnetism when the hatch blew (sending him off on his time-travel adventures). I mean, it's way too coincidental not to be hatch related! I mean, think of the sign that said QUARANTINE on the hatch door too. Crazy!!
- Sawyer and Juliet show up to rescue Dan from Ellie who isn't buying into this whole time travel thing. Best line of the night: Ellie - "Are they from the future too?" Sawyer (to Dan) - "You told her????" Ahhh good stuff!
- So Locke enters the Others' Camp and tells Richard the magic words "Jacob sent me" Jones still wants to shoot. Richard then calls Jones by his real name......"WIDMORE!!!"
- Okay, I know it was pretty obvious, but you guys gotta hand it to me on that one. Once I heard the British accent last episode, I knew we were witnessing a young Charles Widmore! Now we know Charles was with "THE OTHERS!" He also has informed Ben that the Island was once HIS and it will be again. So this goes with my older theory that maybe Charles was the leader of the Others PRIOR to Ben. Although, it does not look like he's the leader just yet.
- Also, this helps with the Ms. Hawking theory as well. Ellie and Charles were on the Island at the same time and appeared to be the same age. That would mean they'd probably be about the same age in 2007 (yep 3 years after 2004). And that fits the bill for Charles and "Eloise Hawking" Ahhh good stuff!
- Anyway, it was great to see Locke's reaction to meeting Charles Widmore. Because it indeed is the first time they have met. Who knew it would be in 1954?
- Okay, so the big discussion between Locke and Richard occurs. The one that future Richard (how far in the future? we don't know) knew was going to happen. Locke gives Richard the Compass, tells Richard that Locke was appointed their leader.
- Richard explains that recruiting a leader is an extensive process that starts at childhood. Locke tells Richard the date he was born. May 30, 1956. NIIIIIICE! We saw Richard in John Locke's birth flashback last year! So Richard then finds out John was telling the truth!
- So remember the theories when we thought Richard was lookin for Locke and found Ben instead because their mothers both had the same name? Emily? I wonder if that can still be in play. But this definitely factors into the Others telling Locke that they've been waiting a "LONG" time for him. Except that it was Cindy (the Oceanic 815 flight attendant) that told him that! Hmmmm....who IS Cindy exactly??
- Anyway, Locke wanted to find out how to leave the Island and Richard refused to tell Locke because it was privledged information. I'm guessing he'll run into Richard at another point in time as well.
- It also is important to note that Richard did not seem to have knowledge on the concept of Island Time Travel at that point in time. For being such an OLD man, you'd think he would have if it happened before. Maybe it didn't?
- Another thing....where did the Compass come from? Richard gives the compass to Locke in the future, but Locke gives the compass to Richard in the past. So who had it first? And does this tie into the other Flashback with Richard and Boy Locke when he lays all of the stuff in front of him, including the compass? He asked "Which of these belonged to you"? Well, Locke did take the sand and the compass...but he also took the knife. We still don't know why Richard got so frustrated with the Knife!
- And of course, before Locke could get any information out of Richard....our Time Travelers FLASHED out of 1954 (they couldn't throw us a Back to the Future bone and make it 1955 could they??!)
And thus we are whisked away to another time. All of our Time Travelers seemed to be close by to each other. (I guess Dan, Sawyer and crew weren't too far away?) So when are we now? Does the hatch exist at this point? It would be nice to see if they are indeed near where the hatch was built. Anyway, apparently, the flash didn't sit well with Charlotte because she got even worse, and the nosebleed is out of control. She collapses to the ground unconscious and our Time Leapers rush to her side.
Well, pretty crazy end for the episode. Here's a question, do we all care enough about Charlotte at this point to be concerned about her well being as a Cliffhanger into the next episode? Or is it more that we want to know about the crazy Island Sickness? Maybe a little of both. So, lots of theories were able to be expanded from this episode (Widmore, Hawking, Hatch).
It looks like from the previews Sawyer says he sees Kate. So we might start to run into the 815ers after they crashed. Perhaps we'll get to revisit Boone, Charlie, Shannon, etc... at some point! Is Dan right about not being able to alter the future? Will we be putting it to the test? (from the Producers' comments, it sounds like that might be the direction we're heading)
One thought to leave you all with. Where on earth are Rose and Bernard? Even if the majority of the 815ers bit the dust, I'm sure we need to find out where they are! Granted, we know the 2 actors that play them are only recurring characters and not full-time. But come on! At least explain it. I have faith that they will.
So I guess that's it for this week. Lots of great comments and new readers last week. Keep it up! Let's get to discussing and I'll see you next week! NAMASTE!
Thanks again to lost.cubit.net (AKA Sledgeweb) for always providing fantastic screenshots on your site for me to "BORROW!" My blog wouldn't be nearly as exciting without them!