In "Brig" we find ourselves back with John Locke. Our non-traditional flashbacks show us the 8 Days that we've missed with Locke, Cooper, Ben and the whole Others Clan while we've been pursuing equally important storylines back at Othersville and eventually the beach! Locke recruits Sawyer under the false pretense that he has infiltrated the OTHERS and needs help killing Ben (come on...we all knew he was lying from the second he said it!). And of course the story of our Parachutist, Naomi continues as our favorite castaways try to keep information from getting to their former trusted leader, Jack. Let's dive in!
The Missing 8 Days
Ahh yes, we love when Days pass by with a lack of information don't we? I still say we're missing a day or 2 of information after the HATCH imploded. How did Eko get in the cave? Was Locke just lying in the jungle with no voice for 2 days? And well....Desmond's whole time travel thing! But alas, we're not focusing on those today! These 8 days have Ben putting Locke on the path of enlightenment. To what end? Well, that is yet to be seen. But apparently, the others (and some former tail section survivors) seem to think Locke is very SPECIAL. But for some reason, for Locke to be ENLIGHTENED, he must first show signs that he can be trusted. That he's not the same person he used to be. He must KILL his father, who mysteriously just showed up on the island. I guess we still don't know if Locke's father was just another manifestation of the island. But it sure seemed real! So for purposes of this Blog I'm going to stay with the assumption that he was indeed REAL!
8 Days Ago
- Cooper bites Locke's hand and leaves a big gash.
- Ben asks Locke to join the OTHERS as they leave Othersville. He mentions where they are going is an OLD place.
3 Days Ago
- Others are in make-shift tents. Living the way Locke had suggested to Ben. A life without technology...living off what the island provides.
- We see Cindy, our favorite flight attendant, again who seems completely comfortable co-existing with the Others these day. Which, I think everyone would agree, we still need more information with what happened when Cindy and the kids were taken! But the key for now is that everyone is excited by Locke's presence.
- Ben, all of a sudden is able to walk again (with the help of a cane). Is this because he embraced the island? He credits being around Locke to his recovery. Is it the truth though? or is it all for a false pretense of making Locke feel special and wanted and with purpose? Because all we've seen of Locke's prior existence was his search for belonging and purpose.
- We see Ben received Juliet's recording and announces to Locke his plan that he's going to take the pregnant women. Seems like a test of some sorts to see where John's loyalty is. Or could just be another game. Maybe he WANTS Locke to get the information to the castaway camp. Ben speaks again of Locke's POTENTIAL, but cannot reveal anything until Daddy is dead.
- You know how much I love books on the show, don't you? Well Ben brought some with him in his tent. One was "WORD POWER" which we've seen before. Apparently, he brings this with him everywhere he goes. A new arrival is John Lescroart's "The Oath" a criminal thriller that takes place in a house of healing. You getting any insight from this? Yeah..me either.
- Locke's father has been tied up to an ancient column that looks like it was used for ritualistic sacrifices. The ancient appearance of this column seems like it's meant to draw comparisons to the 4 toed statue we saw in season 2's finale. We're still nowhere closer on learning exactly HOW old this island is, and what it was used for. But there's definitely a theme they're trying to get across here. The producers even said that they placed the Adam and Eve skeletons in the CAVE in season 1 just so when they reveal exactly what's going on on the island.....that they can prove they knew what they were doing right from the beginning. And for some reason..it seems like the AGE of the island or its inhabitants plays a big role!
- At Night Fall - Locke is put to the test to kill his father. He fails and Ben humiliates him in front of the whole camp "He is not who we thought he was." What was up with Cooper saying "I'll be here rest of the week if you change mind?" Supposed to be a joke in passing? Maybe...but then why did Ben knock him out so quickly? He did the same thing in the Closet when Cooper tried to tell Locke where they were. Are we supposed to be harping on these 2 interesting moments? Cooper seems to tell us where he thinks they are in the present day. Is that what he was going to originally tell Locke? Like I said...for purposes of this BLOG...that's what I'm assuming. But, we always have to consider the alternative! We just don't exactly know what that alternative would be!
2 Days ago
- The gash in Locke's hand is completely healed in 6 days. They just keep dropping these little tidbits in the episodes to remind us of the healing powers of this island. Especially with John Locke. Hopefully the answers are coming soon!
- Richard Alpert informs Locke that Ben's show the night before was intentionally to embarrass John. He doesn't want the people thinking John is special. Apparently, word got out to all that there was a man with a broken spine on flight 815 that could walk again. Richard seemed to be clearly complaining about Ben's leadership and how they are all bogged down with the Fertility issues on the island. Apparently, they were promised BIGGER things when they signed up for Island living. Or as Alpert suggested....MORE IMPORTANT Reasons. Reminds me of when Juliet tried to have Ben killed during surgery. It seems that there is some disagreement within the Others community. Then again, Richard talking to John could've entirely been part of Ben's strategy. In any case, Locke is given information on James "Sawyer" Ford. If Locke can't kill him...there's someone else who has been dying to!
- Ben and the Others leave Locke behind. Ben instructs Locke not to come unless he's carrying his father's body on his back. I wonder if there's another reason Ben wanted Locke's Dad dead. Not just for Locke to continue on the path of enlightenment. Just seems that he was very persistent that it needed to be done. Of course, by doing it in this fashion, it just gives Ben more power over Locke and his future decisions. Ben withholding information until key opportunities seems to be what he does. Remember him holding information about Juliet's sister? Lying to the survivors about being Henry Gale until he was able to get into Jack and Locke's head? I'm sure there are other examples. But we'll just go with those for now.
Sawyer, Locke and Sawyer Showdown
Before we get into the reveal below...let me share some of my quotes with you from previous blogs.
March 30, 2006 - Lockdown
"So Locke's "Dad" conned a family out of $700,000. Can we assume that this is SAWYER's family? (which would definitely date this flashback quite a few years since Sawyer was a kid when his Dad killed his wife then shot himself) There were rumors before that Locke and Sawyer might be related after Locke knew Sawyer's real name, "James Ford" but we got nothing to tie this together by finding out Locke's Dad's name is Anthony Cooper (unless it's another alias). But a clean way to tie it together would be if Locke's "DAD" is the conman Sawyer was/is looking for. And, hmmm maybe if he DID catch an Oceanic flight out of LA, maybe HE's on the island too! (okay..now I'm just getting crazy!) "
Crazy indeed! Crazy how close I was! Here's another one:
March 22nd 2007 "The Man From Tallahassee"Ok ok okay...I'm not claiming to be a genius or anything. A lot of people had the theory. But come on...even predicting he might be on the island!?!? That was insane! Anyway, as stated earlier Locke has recruited James "Sawyer" Ford under the false pretense (and supposed audience false pretense) that he needs help killing Ben. Here's what went down in this fantastic storyline!
We know Locke's dad is a conman and so is Sawyer.....and one of the running theories in LOST is that Locke's dad might be the REAL Sawyer. You know the one that conned James Ford's (who we know as sawyer on the island) mother causing his father to kill her and then himself...and causing a life of pain for James....also causing him to become a conman himself while hunting down the REAL sawyer. Wouldn't it be convenient that the island brought him the thing he wanted the most too? A chance to kill the man that ruined his life?
- First of all, we must note that Kate and Sawyer are shacking up like bunnies these days. If what Juliet says is true about men's fertility on the island and what Ben said is true that he wants to take the pregnant WOMEN (plural)....then I don't see how Kate is going to get out of this season without being pregnant!
- Locke continues his digging for information from Sawyer. Explains what information was in his file stating that his parents were killed when he was a boy and that is all. Of course, then he added the fact that it didn't mention WHY Daddy killed Mommy then killed himself. Hmmm..Locke seems to be learning manipulation skills from his new mentor Ben! He also starts asking again why he picked the name SAWYER. Sawyer also explains how he killed the wrong man in Sydney (which still...how did the others have that intel??). All nice reminder information for those people who don't have fantastic blogs to read where the writer force feeds previous quotes from previous blogs to tie things together!
- By the way...quick glimpse of Sawyer's file shows a Police Report in French. Prop error? Or a hint at a future flashback tying Sawyer and Sayid together or Sawyer and Shannon possibly?
- Locke takes Sawyer to the BLACK ROCK where he claims to have hidden Ben. Great to see the ol' slave ship again! Locke thinks that the slaves were brought here to mine. Mine for what???
- Sure enough Locke had set up a trap to force Sawyer to confront their mutual nemesis. A man that goes by many names including Anthony Cooper and TOM Sawyer. (not sure if we ever had the first name. And idiot me may never have even thought of it!) Loved the "Huck Finn" was already taken line.
- But before we get into all of that, let's divulge some information Cooper gave us about how he ended up on the island. From his perspective, we must assume, he never saw a coastline and has no idea they're on an island. He was in Tallahassee driving down I-10 when someone rammed his car from behind and crashed him right into a median going 70mph. All he remembers is being picked up by the paramedics and the guy placing the IV in his arm smiling. Next thing he knows he's in a closet looking up at his "DEAD" son. Not dead because Cooper threw him out a window but dead because Flight 815 was found and the passengers were all dead! (more on that in next section). Cooper assumes he is also dead and in HELL. So now we replace our purgatory theories with HELL theories! Fantastic! I'll just go out on a limb and say they are NOT in hell! But the bigger thing to focus on is how he got to the island. UNCONCSIOUSLY. There seems to be a recurring theme that no one really recalls arriving at the island. When they wake up...they're already here! Of course, we've seen the tail section of the plane crash, we saw a splash in the water that was supposed to be a helicopter. But Juliet was brought to the island willingly unconscious strapped into a bed in the submarine. We had speculations that she really didn't get there via Sub. And now Cooper was in a car accident and ended up on the island? (pending he's telling the truth) And does the car accident tie into the "Bring me the Man from Tallahassee" order that Ben gives Tom? I think we have to assume it does. But how were they able to get him so quickly? Granted...Ben claims that LOCKE brought him here. But here is where I call B.S. on Ben! That is...until Ben proves to me that there IS a metaphorical Magic Box, I'm going to assume that the others can freely summon people from off the island. How? I have absolutely no idea. The only other explanation is Cooper was lying and was there all along. Or that it was, in fact, a manifestation of the island (i.e. smoke monster).
- By the way, while Sawyer is confronting Locke's Dad, Rousseau just happens to show up at the Black Rock looking for Dynamite! Hmmmm what does she need THAT for? Last we saw her, she was stalking her daughter, Alex. We have to assume that something EXPLOSIVE might be happening in a possible rescue attempt by the season 3 finale. What else would she need dynamite for? I'm intrigued!
- Back to the Sawyers. I absolutely LOVED this scene. Sawyer finally giving his letter to the man he's been hunting his whole life. Cooper reading the letter non-challantly and then tearing up the letter. Making comments about James's Mother (whose name is Mary). I think I was ready to strangle the guy myself, which is exactly what Sawyer does! Man, what a graphic and haunting scene! But well written and fitting scene. I mean, when the fans want a PAYOFF, that is what we're looking for! Absolutely fantastic. All of this followed by a heart-felt THANK YOU from John Locke. Perfect scene. RIP Anthony Cooper.
- Key moment we should consider - Sawyer knows about Locke's prior paralysis. Will he tell everyone else? How will it factor into everyone's future perception of Mr. Locke? (namely, Jack).
- Locke, although now on his own journey (not with the survivor camp or the others camp), provided the Baby-Napping intel he gathered from Ben (Beach Raid in 3 days) as well as gave Sawyer the recording proving Juliet is a mole. Considering Juliet is playing both sides....this should prove to be very interesting in the final episodes of the season.
Don't Tell Jack
Pretty much seemed like the theme was that Jack was with the others for however long and is very friendly with Juliet. And EVERYONE except Kate was showing no trust in giving him the information on their latest vistor, Naomi. Of course, once you tell one person, accidents happen and eventually the information will get to everyone. Some very interesting tidbits provided by Naomi as well as Jack and Juliet. Here they are:
- Naomi's full name is Naomi Dorrit (I checked the closed captioning!)
- Helicopter took off from a search and recovery team freighter 80 nautical miles west of the island.
- She is on a mission to find Desmond. Hired by Penelope Widmore (as suspected) and had a set of coordinates to a location in the middle of the ocean. They thought it was a fools errand. This seems to confirm she is not lying as Penny had the coordinates in the final scene of season 2. Also seems to confirm that the island is NOT a moving target as previously theorized.
- She claims the helicopter just stopped functioning prior to crashing (instruments started spinning). Seems very much like an Electro-magnetic Pulse effect doesn't it?
- Sayid got a new toy to play with in the Satellite Phone as predicted. They are going to try and communicate with the rescue freighter. All static right now even though it had a few bars of service. Perhaps they will go to the radio tower to kill Rousseau's transmission? Isn't that what was blocking all other signals before?
- But the big and disturbing news? Naomi continued to explain how Flight 815 was found and that there were no survivors. They found the ENTIRE Plane in an ocean trench 4 miles deep off the coast of Bali. In case anyone is wondering where Bali is, it's not far from Australia. Kudos to Google Maps for the assistance!
Naomi says that they sent those crazy robots (like the ones we saw in Titanic) into Flight 815 and ALL of the bodies were found in the plane and dead. HUH?????? I still smell cover-up. I have no idea how they could replicate bodies (except in the form of manifestations), but how would an ENTIRE plane end up 4 miles underwater practically undamaged? I could not be more confused yet completely intrigued in this new twist! I want more information! And I'm sure more is coming by the finale. It better if we have to wait until January for more LOST!
- And of course the final little tidbit we need to mention is after Kate explains to Jack and Juliet (unwillingly) what is going on. Jack, instead of worrying about everyone not trusting him, asks how they are going to contact the freighter. Kate mentions the satellite phone. Jack and Juliet look at each other. Juliet "I think we should tell her" Jack "No" Juliet "I THINK we should TELL her!" Jack "NOT YET!" WHAT???? Ok, so this kinda ties into what some of the commenters posted about before. It seems that Jack and Juliet are conspiring on SOMEthing. Maybe they are BOTH on the same mission. Jack said he trusts Juliet. Juliet hates Ben. Perhaps they are both playing everyone for fools for the greater good of the survivors? I mean...what could Juliet be so persistent in telling Kate? I remain convinced that whatever Jack is up to...it is for a GOOD outcome for everyone; not a selfish or evil plan. UGH....I want to know more now!!!!
Whew....that's it folks. I am still in awe of this episode. 3 years of build-up is what leads to fantastic episodes like this. Anyone else rank this one up as high as I do? Are you all looking forward to the Ben flashback episode next week? We keep hoping to get information on that crazy DHARMA Initiative and the purge. Perhaps that is next week! Then we'll shift our focus finally to Charlie the next week and probably will learn his fate. All leading up to the 2 hour Jack-centric finale where we hopefully will learn what he's been conspiring to do all season!
Hope you enjoyed my ramblings as always and look forward to hearing all of yours! See you Next week!