Hmm, that's not very like me to just get right into the end of the episode right up front. But I felt it was warranted here. There really doesn't seem like much to discuss in this episode, but we will do it justice. And then we'll look on to what else we can expect in season 3 when it returns in February for 16 STRAIGHT EPISODES! NO REPEATS! NOT....EVEN......ONE! Or, you all can just watch Daybreak every week to get a sneak peak of Lost. ugh! SERIOUSLY?! (Yeah..maybe i'll set the tivo and just watch the commercials! Isn't THAT ironic?)
As always, you can re-watch the LOST episode at lost.abc.com as well as check the ABC recaps for the show.
Well we sorta had 3 story lines tonight. 1.) The Kate/Sawyer Love Saga & useless Kate Flashback 2.) The Eko Funeral with weird Locke/Sayid moments and 3.) Jack's Big Plan
1.) Kate/Sawyer Love Saga and Useless Kate Flashback
Well I'm still at least trying to figure out if there was a point to the flashback except continuing to let us know that ALL women are crazy! (No offense to the female readers! Obviously I don't mean it!) But seriously, Kate is certifiably CRAZY! She blows up her Dad, goes on the run. Then tries to hide by going all domestic and creating an alias for herself, finding herself some man marrying him under her alias...be in a relationship where "TACO NIGHT" is in the vocabulary, almost get pregnant (while also learning that the Democrats took control of the Senate...Thanks ABC...really could've done without the musical overtones to your WORLD NEWS SPECIAL UPDATE!).....oh yeah and then she drugged this husband of hers so she could run off again. Did I mention she married a COP? Smart Kate! (FYI, despite rumors the actor Nathan Fillion who played Kevin is neither ETHAN nor Jason Bateman despite very similar appearances. He's the guy from Firefly (and the movie spin-off Serenity) and also apparently got his start on BUFFY) Anyway, I guess we're just be able to see how far Kate will take something before she starts hating herself for it. Are we supposed to relate this to her budding romance with Sawyer? Who knows??? Well, there's one thing worth noting from this flashback:
- Speaking of being alerted by ABC about the changes in the Senate, we just happened to miss the only easter egg of the night. Yep, Kate's pregnancy test is from Widmore Labs (as in CHARLES Widmore, as in Penny's father and Desmond's Nemesis, as in Widmore Pregnancy test that SUN took). You know....as I'm writing this, I'm starting to think. Widmore Labs, Pregnancy Tests.....Juliet - Fertility Doctor....hmmmmm CONNECTION? Guess we'll have to wait for the non-stop 16 episodes in February to find out!
Ok, so on the Island (or should I say Island #2) Kate and Sawyer are forced into some tough decisions, or decisions really made for them. Kate finds out Sawyer is going to die...she finally gets to see Jack (which I deemed mandatory if she was going to choose between them)...Jack gives her no hope...so this forces her mentally to care MORE for Sawyer and lead to the scene deemed TOO GRAPHIC FOR ABC! That's right folks...They "DID IT" and for once, no one died as a result! Well, not yet. But, I have a hard time believing either Kate or Sawyer will be dying anytime soon! Well obviously, we have more to discuss when the story lines cross with Jack's but we'll get to that in section 3. What are some tidbits from the continuing Kate/Sawyer (SKATER!) Saga?
- Well, we see Alex with a Slingshot going commando on the OTHERS. She is apparently fired up! Now, I don't recall hearing, but apparently CARL (the prisoner we see in the Season premiere that tries to help Sawyer escape) has been killed and was Alex's Boyfriend? Not really sure. But she wasn't very happy! She was also trying to help Kate and Sawyer escape. She said that they're all liars! More on Alex in section 3!
- Jack asks Kate what do they have them working on (with the whole break rocks and carrying them)....Kate says "I dunno, but something big!" Well, I'm glad we got an answer there! Geez, I guess we'll have to wait to see what this BIG construction will be. Maybe they want to use the rocks to sculpt a body to go with that GIANT Foot on the island! (don't worry...i have even more stupid theories for this blog that I will get into shortly!)
- Sawyer and Kate both express their LOVE for each other. But does Kate know the meaning of love? She really never says it to him...she just kisses him. We already knew Sawyer did because he "unconsciously" told Jack in Season 2.
2.) The Eko Funeral with weird Locke/Sayid moments
So this whole sequence seemed very misplaced in this episode...I'm pretty sure that the writers/producers didn't want us to leave for a 13 week hiatus without letting us see some of the other survivors. They had to give us something... while we did get some tidbits...it just seemed like a scene or 2 was cut from the final version of the episode. But eventually what we see is Locke "finding his way."
- The Smoke Monster is addressed by Locke and Sayid and crew. Locke explains his beliefs in the monster to Sayid. That Eko died for a reason and he is going to find out why.
- Apparently Sayid and Locke were supposed to go on some detour before heading to the camp to get shovels....was the detour to get Eko's stick to bury it with him?
- Speaking of the stick...just wanted to touch on what I said in the "Further Instructions" Blog. (I always do this when I'm RIGHT about something!)
"In the beginning of the episode Locke sees Eko's stick. It has a new inscription on it for Genesis 13:14 "Lift up your eyes and Look North" The actual passage reads "Now lift up your eyes and look from the place where you are, northward and southward and eastward and westward" Perhaps this is an indication to John to go North to rescue the other friends when the time comes? Perhaps it's nothing!"
Well apparently it was NOT nothing and it WAS a sign to Locke. Locke is going to head North to find their friends. So this gets into a whole bunch of questions. First...WHO carved this saying into the stick? It wasn't there last season. Who dropped the stick on Locke 3 episodes ago? I think this all goes back to that DAY we are missing after the Hatch implosion. Producers confirmed that this subject WILL be addressed in season 3.
Okay, also what NORTH is it? Remember in the 1st season when Locke said he didn't need the compass anymore? And then Sayid realized the compass did not even point to what they thought was north? So this gets into questions of if the Electro Magnet was messing up the compass or if the island is MOVING. Let me just say that the producers have not DENIED that the island is moving, but says they cannot answer the question as it is an over-arching mystery of the show. And it would sure explain a lot of things if it IS moving. A.) Desmond sailing right back to the island, B.) Nigerian Plane ending up on the island as well as Oceanic Flight 815 from Sydney to LA ending up on the island and possibly C.) Giving Henry the ability to make Sawyer "THINK" they're on a different island by moving the island closer to another land mass....DUM DUM DUUUUUMMMM!!! At least that's ONE of the theories I'm throwing around. But a MOVING island? What on earth does that MEAN? There are still some holes in that theory. But apparently, if it's not a theory to dismiss, there is some weight behind it.
Anyway, apparently Locke knows where he has to go...so we may get some of these answers rather quickly in February when we return.
3.) Jack's Big Plan
So in this whole sequence, we follow Jack's decision making progress to do the surgery. In the end, we don't know if his master plan is in accordance to Juliet's wishes or not. But it sure looks like Jack is just trying to gain the upper-hand, FINALLY! He IS our Hero isn't he? He was just patiently waiting for the right opportunity. So there's tons to talk about in this storyline. And can I just mention that this may have been the most suspenseful sequence in LOST yet? I literally stopped jotting any notes down and was on the edge of my seat for the whole thing. It was fantastic. And right when you think something is going to happen....BOOM....LOST! Oh I agree with the producers alright....that is a very unsettling way to end an episode. And I'll definitely be there in February to find out what is going on! Oh yeah...Questions/Theories...here we go!:
- Okay here's a big one: did Henry actually break Jack in the end? Was the whole exercise to keep Jack isolated from Kate and Sawyer while they got closer and Kate was forced into a decision? Even Ben made a comment in the premiere this season that Kate said "Sawyer's" name first. Then the intercom (voice sounded like Alex's, but i doubt it) conveniently tells Jack to go out of his door where there is access to GUNS and of course the TV ROOM where Sawyer and Kate are conveniently cuddling in a Post-"TOO GRAPHIC FOR ABC" moment. Just looking back on the 6 episodes, it seems like this was the intent of the others all along. Henry wanted to break Jack into making him WANT to do the surgery, by making him WANT to get off the island. Remember I said in Blog 2 that Jack would NEVER abandon the survivors, he has nothing to go back to. Well it seems that Ben knew that too and set up this situation where he would think there's really nothing for him on the island either! Well, I'm going to answer this question on my own. Jack made Henry THINK he was broken, but was able to assess the situation and react accordingly. That's why HE is the hero! But either way, you gotta love Ben's one liner "I would've thought she'd pick you!"
- But just as we see a manipulative and strategic Ben, we also see a vulnerable one at the end of the episode. Prior to going into surgery, we were almost forced to sympathize with his character. And then he asks if ALEX asked about him? Alex in her slingshot attack did ask to speak to Ben. Juliet flat out says "NO" that Alex did NOT ask about him. Well, that's strange! First of all....what is Ben and Alex's relationship? Many people are guessing that Ben may be Alex's father. I guess we don't know much about her father...we just know that Rousseau is her Mother. Well if Ben's been on the island his whole life and Rousseau just got there 16 years ago....um...something doesn't add up! We need some OTHERS Flashbacks pronto! 2nd point, Juliet seemed to come off as the cold one here. I'm starting to feel the distinct possibility that JULIET might be the brains behind BEN too! She comes off as the innocent one that wants change and has a crush on Jack, but what if SHE is the ruthless one in charge and BEN is only another pawn? Big IF's, but that scene shed a whole new light on the situation. I'll let everyone ponder on that for 13 weeks!
- Oh yes....another big question....Pickett makes mention of JACOB and that "Shepard isn't even on Jacob's List" Well, I know of 2 lists so far. Ben asked for 2 lists when the plane crashed....one from Ethan and one from Goodwyn. Maybe there is a JACOB list that is separate from even THOSE lists. And if we're to remain consistent....they Others have identified who is BAD and who is GOOD. Based on Pickett's comments, we have to assume being on JACOB's list is a GOOD thing. If you take the Biblical reference of JACOB and his Ladder that he built to heaven....then yeah...being on Jacob's list probably means you are good. Which is indicating that Jack has some more demons in his past that we haven't seen yet. Apparently we're going to learn more about Jack's tatoo this season....which I can only assume happened when he was in Phuket, Thailand (remember the poker match between Sawyer and Jack?). Gotta figure we'll get a flashback of that!
Anyway....so JACOB, who is he? Is Jacob the "HIM" the "GREAT MAN" that all the others speak of? Is Jacob the EYE PATCH man? A lot of people think so....and the producers have confirmed that EYE PATCH man will play a prominent role in season 3. If we put the pieces together....We saw Eye Patch guy when Eko was being judged for his past.....could he be in control of the Smoke....and could the Smoke be judging everyone on a certain LIST? If Jacob's list is the GOOD list...and Eko is considered a BAD person....then there's something not matching up there. But I think we're on the right track! Anyways...stuff to think about.
- Okay, so what else....right...So Jack takes control of the operating room and turns the tables around on the others....just as sawyer is about to be killed by Pickett. Jack tells Kate to RUN (WITH or without Sawyer? previews suggest both of them)...but where are they going to run to? If they're on a separate Island, they're going to have some problems. But if we go with the theory that they ARE on the same island...then Locke will probably find them. Too much theorizing right now....but the good news is...JACK is the man in control...at least for an HOUR.
So Jack told Kate to recall the story he told her when she stitched him up in the Pilot episode. Remember, Kate was nervous about stitching up Jack and Jack told the story about when he was doing surgery on a girl and tore open a nerve sack...Jack panicked...but then he let the fear take him as he counted to 10....but then afterwards he was calm and collected and able to do the surgery. Jack is asking Kate to retell that story over the Walkie Talkie as soon as she's free from the Others. Meanwhile...Jack will let Henry's kidney bleed out. Doesn't seem like this was Juliet's plan. Juliet just wanted Ben to die during the surgery with no one knowing Jack did it on purpose. This is ALL Jack. And it's awesome!
Loved the cliffhanger!
Don't you love how I always say there's not much to talk about?
A Look Ahead:
Okay, in case you don't religiously read tvguide.com, there was an interview with the producers that revealed what we can expect to find out in season 3. This is to address the impatient audience out there who think that they are just doing the stories on a WHIM. There is a PLAN for everything! This Mike Ausiello guy is a bit much, so you just have to accept that he can't get enough of himself....but eventually you'll find the interview with Damon (Lindeloff) and Carlton (Cuse), the LOST producers. Here's the LINK: http://www.tvguide.com/News-Views/Columnists/Ask-Ausiello/default.aspx?columndate=08-Nov-2006
I'd say it's a bit SPOILERISH, but they don't give anything away...they just tell us what we WILL find out sooner than later. For example, Why Locke is in a wheelchair will be resolved THIS season. We WILL find out what happened immediately after the HATCH implosion. We're going to find out about the missing TAILIES (remember CINDY? the kids??). ETC... It's a good read. I encourage it!
So that brings us to the end. I left you with a nice long blog to keep you busy for the next 13 weeks. Read a sentence a day and you should be finished in late January! If there's anything interesting in the previews during Daybreak, I'll consider posting blogs....or if they show up on YOUTUBE...maybe I'll just post them!
Well, hope you enjoyed my ramblings as always. Hope the complainers enjoyed the WOW in the beginning. And I hope people continue to post comments about their own theories! I'll see you in February! STAY PATIENT! We've got a whole lot more Lost to discuss when we return!