First of all, we need to RE-HASH last week's episode. In the blog, I discussed a lot of "Time Travel" theories jokingly as explanation to why Desmond could see the future and Eko was telling Locke about his mission, and couldn't find a reasonable LOGICAL explanation of it all. Well in the comments, we got to discussing it a bit. There was the key little missing piece of information I forgot that Locke, Desmond and Eko were missing for 1 day! Well what on earth happened in that day? For all we know they could've been taken in by the others and brainwashed or fed some information. I mean, we didn't even discuss why Eko was in the Cave with the polar bears! There's a whole day missing in the lives of these 3 people, and we need some explanations! I just can't buy into the fact that Desmond can actually see the future! We will need this information as we explore last night's episode. Also the "MISSING DAY" piece will come into play as we discuss Jack, Kate and Sawyer and their Venture to "ISLAND #2." And, remember Henry had told Locke that his whole reason for coming to the hatch was to get Locke and bring him back. If we still believe that is true, he may be testing Locke with this "Rescue Mission" and Jack, Kate, and Sawyer are the bait. Guess we have to keep waiting to see!
With that said, let's move on! As always, check out lost.abc.com for recaps, Lost goodies, and if you want to watch the episode again on your computer!
This week's episode featured a Sawyer flashback, movement of the Jack/Kate/Sawyer captivity saga, and we shared a couple scenes with our very own island "MISS CLEO," Desmond and his crazy premonitions.
Jack To the "Rescue"
So, this week Jack is pulled to the operating table again in a failing attempt to save Colleen (2 Deadwood cast member sightings this week on Lost!), or Danny aka Pickett's wife. Here's some things to point out:
- Jack stirs the pot a bit with Juliet very similarly to how Henry questioned why Locke let Jack push him around. Jack questioned why Juliet takes orders from Henry. Juliet was visibly angered as Henry came in bossing her around. Some rumors flying around that Juliet and Henry might not be ex-lovers at all....and in fact, they might be SIBLINGS....and even further than that...TWIN siblings. There's always rumors flying rampant about twins on LOST, so this rumor really isn't far-fetched. May not even be far-fetched by saying they were island born descendants of the Degroots. But I can't take credit if this theory comes into fruition. You can read the TV Watch from entertainment weekly and read for yourself!
- Jack was forced to watch cartoons during his continued imprisonment. Don't know if there was any significance to the actual cartoon showing, but am I mistaken or was that the Disney's "Ugly Duckling" cartoon? I dunno...haven't seen it in ages, but it reminded me of it. Just thought I'd share that useless knowledge.
- Jack heard Sawyer screaming on the intercom. He thought he had heard his DAD saying something in the intercom in the season premiere (his "DEAD" Dad). Juliet told Jack the intercom doesn't work....well we know for sure that Sawyer was screaming, so what gives??? I guess there is always the question...is Jack's Dad really dead? We saw the corpse! And the producers say he's dead! Dead or not...I think there has to be some involvement of Christian with the island activities PRE-CRASH.
- When trying to save Colleen we find out that the Paddles are busted and Juliet says they've never really had to revive anyone before. Is this indication that the others are a peaceful breed? With Ethan going on a Killing spree in season 1, I'd hardly think so.
- We learn that Juliet is a Fertility Doctor. Anyone want to place bets that this will come into play in determining the father of Sun's child?
- Henry shows more of his evil side by letting Jack sit handcuffed with the recently deceased Colleen for awhile until Juliet comes to the rescue.
- Okay, really only one other thing to touch on with Jack's storyline is the X-Ray. As Jack stated it looks like a man in their 40's has a very large tumor on his vertebrae. So, we can assume that Jack is here to save whoever it is. The question is, WHO does he need to save? The obvious choice would be Ben, but I think that seems too obvious, especially since they lead us to believe that from the previews. Maybe Jack THINKS it's supposed to be Ben. So who else is in their 40's on the island? My immediate thought other then Henry was LOCKE. But Locke is older than in his 40's. Unless, the X-rays are not current, and the others snagged those puppies up from awhile ago. So there has to be more to explore here. But we have to assume that there was more of a reason to bring Jack in than to just perform Surgery, right? What else does Ben need him to do before he sends him home?
So Sawyer did time for the LONG CON. Looks like Cassidy (Other deadwood sighting!) had him put away for what he did to her in the last flashback we saw. (Ran away with her 600,000 dollars I believe?) Sawyer was able to con his way out of Jail by helping the US Treasury in retrieving $10 Million from Munsen (another Con-man locked away for the same reasons). Here's some tidbits we learned:
- From the ID Badge for the Prison, we determine that Sawyer was imprisoned in Florida. Remember when he told Jack he had been to Tallahassee? Is that where the long Con took place?
- Apparently Sawyer has some boxing skills and threw a nice set of punches in prison.
- Sawyer got a nice commission out of his helping the US Treasury. That was kinda bizarre. Wouldn't you think that his Get out of Jail Free ticket would be enough?
- Apparently Sawyer has a daughter, Clementine, from his relationship with Cassidy. And in an un-"sawyer"like move, he had his entire commission set up in an account in Albuquerque (spelled good enough!) for Clementine with no ability to trace it back to him. Very noble of him. But here's the thing, Sawyer spent a long time teaching Cassidy how to pull of the LONG CON. Maybe she was conning HIM all along? Depends how much that Commission was!
Great name for a Band isn't it? Well, I gotta tell you. It was really hard for me to buy into the fact that they actually had planted a Pacemaker into Sawyer to control his rage. It just seemed too much like a mental game right from the start to me. I just couldn't see Sawyer having to control his heart rate for the remainder of his life on Lost Island. I'll be the first to admit though, I have no idea how easy it is to install or remove a pacemaker! So maybe it's my ignorance that led me to know it was a GAME! Anyway, it led to some nice dramatic scenes with Kate (whom he wasn't allowed to tell about the pacemaker or else she'd get a matching one) and the big reveal at the end.
- Sawyer has to control his emotions in an array of different ways, watching Kate get dressed (loved the heart rate monitor!), getting beaten to a bloody pulp by Pickett who was taking his anger on him for Colleen's death, and even some nice mountain climbing action!
- Henry also got in on the fun of beating up Sawyer who outsmarted him with the Electric Shock POLAR BEAR button. Henry had some crazy strength that he was using in his beating. Reminded me of Ethan's strength in season 1 when he just kept bouncing back from several hard punches from Jack.
- Kate finally tells Sawyer that she loves him, but takes it right back. Is this due to Sawyer's post-pacemaker attitude? Or is it because she really prefers Jack? Well, based on some subliminal messaging....it would seem she's leaning towards Jack. After Kate finds a way to escape her cage, and then she gets back in the cage...Sawyer states his motto "Every Man for Himself" Kate quickly retorts with Jack's famous line from his Season 1 speech "Live Together Die Alone." ZING! That's gotta hurt Mr. Ford! The love saga to continue another day...
- Kate and Sawyer get their first Glimpse of Jack as he's being moved (blindfolded) to the Operating Room. They were able to drown out Kate and Sawyer's screams with a deafening sound.
- Okay, before we get into the big reveal can I just say how much I loved the interaction between Henry and Sawyer? The whole Of Mice and Men bit was fantastic. And of course Ben's "You're good Sawyer. But We're Better" line was stupendous. Of course he was referencing to conning a con-man. The question is....is the CON still on?
- And that's our beautiful segueway into the big reveal. Oh yes, Apparently these guys are not even on the same island they crashed on anymore!
But I'm not totally convinced that's true yet. Sure we've been talking about this mysterious POWER CABLE that just seemed to go into the middle of the Ocean, and the Shark with the DHARMA Logo that Michael and Sawyer saw off the coast of the Survivor's camp. But we never saw an ISLAND just sitting out there! Is it possible that the island was always there but just out of view from the survivor's? Even from the Tailies camp? The only thing I could come up with (and the TV Watch person shared with me) was that apparently this Alcatraz*2 island is cloaked somehow where you can't see it from the other island? What else ties in here? Well, let's recall how Desmond tried to sail away from the island and ended up right back AT the island (he called it a "bloody snooo globe!" like my Scottish accent?) And if we go back a couple episodes in this season Juliet made a comment "Who cares if they have a sailboat, they're just going to sail around in circles!" And of course, all the references that the island cannot be detected by the outside world. WHERE IS THIS ISLAND??? So it works both ways? you can't see in OR out from the island? Then how did Henry show Sawyer the island?
More questions....how on earth did they move Kate, Sawyer and Jack to this 2nd island without them knowing it? Again, we're missing a day when they were brought to this imprisonment. We did see them at a DOCK. And we have heard references of this "Ferry" from the Pearl station (which we see in previews for next week). But unless the 3 heroes were unconscious..how would they not have known they were put on a boat and taken to another island? Oh right....did Juliet mention that a SUB was back in this episode too? Okay, so they have a submarine now? Same questions! And where is the OTHER's camp? (you know Suburban Othersville?)....it looked like that WAS on the same island. We also had Ethan and Goodwyn RUNNING to the crash sites.....So do the others live in a different place than the Hydra station Island? Or are we still on the same island? I know I know....you come here looking for answers.....but we always leave just asking more questions!
And I always answer it with...I guess we'll find out eventually!
Alrighty, so on to Desmond and him saying he could fix Claire's Roof and Charlie saying he's "HANDY" in his crazy accent. Desmond once again reveals to the survivors that he is seeing things before they happen and that he prevented lighting from striking Claire's "tent" by creating a lighting rod with a golf club. And we continue to ask...HOW is he doing that???
Well this is a little more problematic than him knowing about Locke's speech. The speech could've been part of a brainwashing or a pre-planned session where Desmond and Eko knew about the speech and just had to tell people about it. Now we're talking about knowing when lightning is going to strike an exact spot. Well, remember when Locke predicted when it was going to rain in season 1? What was that all about? It's like he had found some system to when it was going to rain. And well....back to the theory that the Island is in some controlled environment....can they dictate when it's going to rain and also pinpoint exactly where they want lightning to strike? That would seem a little odd. But little by little...the survivors are believing that Desmond can see the future. However this is possible, I'm sure will eventually be explained.
Oh and we saw more of Paulo. Today he was golfing into the ocean. I just don't understand why they need these additional characters as part of the survivors yet. I have heard rumors that Paulo might be a potential love interest for Claire creating a bit of a Love Triangle. But isn't he with the other girl, Nikki? Weird...
Okay, that's all I got. Feel free to share your thoughts as well. We got into some good discussion last week! That was always my dream for this blog! If not, just keep on reading. See you next week when we begin to realize that EVERYTHING WE EVER THOUGHT ABOUT LOST WILL CHANGE FOREVER! Thanks ABC for your crazy over dramatic promos!